The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Reliable 470 RWHP for road racing Coyote? What are some formulas to achieve it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There is a thread covering this question with some examples but I would have to search a bit to find it. But I can tell you what I did to get 475HP to the wheels.

CJ manifold with TB
L&M intake cams
LTH, no cats
Ford Racing intake
Meziere electric water pump (not necessary)
100 octane race tune

All work done by Revolution Auto in Maryland. Ran it all last year as hard as I could and it performed beautifully. Take away the water pump and lose about 10HP. Same for dropping to a 93 octane tune. So without those maybe I'm 460.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

5.0L Aluminator XS . Right out of the box with a Revolution Automotive tune. 465rwhp on 93 octane pump gas.

Ron
Hey Ron, what manifold is on that Aluminator? Gen 1,2,3, Boss 302 or Cobrajet?

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
How about the 5.2L Aluminator with 580 hp? I would guess this should be a pretty reliable?

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
How about the 5.2L Aluminator with 580 hp? I would guess this should be a pretty reliable?

I think the OP was trying to avoid the 5.2L, though that's probably the "easy" button (easy being relative). Looks like Ron has it covered. Interested in the details on that build.

Last edited:
My car made 485 at the rear wheels on Revolution Autos dyno with a very conservative tune and 93 pump gas. It’s the stock Boss long block with Ford CJ manifold, 65mm twin blade throttle body, Ford CJ cold air intake kit, CJ cams, and long tubes with no cats. I have over 15K track miles on the motor. The car made around 465 or so without the cams.

ArizonaBoss makes similar power but uses the L&M intake cam and stock Boss exhaust cam. The rest of our combo is pretty much the same.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That’s crank hp. It’s about 490 whp which is not too shabby, but pricey at 20 grand.

Last edited:
I should add that I think you can hit the 470 - 485 rwhp with the 2018 and newer Coyotes using the factory cams. For the current generation Coyote, I would get long tube headers, no Cats, a full mandrel bent exhaust with x-pipe that does not neck down at any of the connection points, install a GT350 manifold and throttle body (you need some Bullet engine harnesses / jumpers for this), a cold air intake, and a good 93 octane tune.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I think it's important to provide context when new people come around to look at a later date and to give some more information for anyone who is trying to answer the OP in good faith. The engine that started the OP is a Gen 1 Coyote that is running within NASA's constraints. I feel comfortable linking to it because I'm not calling out Vorshlag for anything.

Last edited:

Ron McCall

Pantera1889
That’s crank hp. It’s about 490 whp which is not too shabby, but pricey at 20 grand.
My 5.2L XS engine ( in my Superlite GT-R ) made 524rwhp on a pretty conservative 93 octane tune. I think that the 580hp rating is a bit "soft" . That is through long tubes and 3" Vibrant " super quiet" resonators.

Ron

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
My 5.2L XS engine ( in my Superlite GT-R ) made 524rwhp on a pretty conservative 93 octane tune. I think that the 580hp rating is a bit "soft" . That is through long tubes and 3" Vibrant " super quiet" resonators.

Ron
That’s awesome. I have only seen two Dyno’s on the 5.2 and they both put down 490. If I knew 520+ was possible I might have bought one.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I should add that I think you can hit the 470 - 485 rwhp with the 2018 and newer Coyotes using the factory cams. For the current generation Coyote, I would get long tube headers, no Cats, a full mandrel bent exhaust with x-pipe that does not neck down at any of the connection points, install a GT350 manifold and throttle body (you need some Bullet engine harnesses / jumpers for this), a cold air intake, and a good 93 octane tune.
Shsssssh Steve, Shhhssssh!

Assuming price is no object the XS isn’t a bad option. If you want to build something Exactly how you want it there’s tons you can do in terms of bulletproofing. Billet timing drive components aren’t a bad idea. OPG, CG especially. Also guides, tensioners, upgrades chains etc. the normal combo of mods will take you to 475whp on a gen 2 or 3 coyote.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Scottsdale
Just a note on my set up. Stock 2015 with 62k miles. Steeda closed air intake, corsa exreme cat back system and a 91 octane DynoComp tune. 459 rear wheel hp and 419 torque.

TMO Supporting Vendors