The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Remember when JC Penny sold car parts?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
JC Penney had their own line of hand tools, they looked like a decent tool, finish was as nice as Snap On, don't know if they held up as well. We went to their clearance sale when the department was eliminated and they didn't have any problems selling the stuff then.
My first air compressor came from Wards and also my first high efficiency furnace for my first house.
Always remember folks calling it "Monkey" Wards.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Interesting use of AF/X to leverage name recognition of period NHRA A/FX drag racing without trademark infringement. Oh, those crafty Madison Avenue types.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I like Craftsman tools, have a couple of sets I got long ago when Sears was still a thing. They're probably not up to the level of the best professional grade mechanics tools but for the average guy they are a great deal for home use. Supposedly still made in America and it means a lot to me to buy North American whenever I can. I try to buy non-Chinese, but that's becoming almost impossible these days. Sad how we in North America let manufacturing slide off over there.

JC Penney had their own line of hand tools, they looked like a decent tool, finish was as nice as Snap On, don't know if they held up as well. We went to their clearance sale when the department was eliminated and they didn't have any problems selling the stuff then.
My first air compressor came from Wards and also my first high efficiency furnace for my first house.
Always remember folks calling it "Monkey" Wards.
Penncraft, I still have a set of combination wrenches. They were a decent tool, no issues with them.

Craftsman tools shifted to overseas production a long time ago. They are not nearly the quality they were decades ago. Craftsman was also sold off to Black and Decker several years ago. That is why you see them in places like Lowes. Its also next to impossible to get a tool warrantied anymore. Most of my tools are Craftsman, but I tend to avoid the brand now days. Quality vs cost is just not there, especially with the lack of warranty support.

Remember " Bonney" brand tools, they were more expensive than Snap On but they were almost Jewel like in finish. I'm sure they're long gone

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Remember " Bonney" brand tools, they were more expensive than Snap On but they were almost Jewel like in finish. I'm sure they're long gone
Bonney was a real quality tool, the kind of stuff that got handed down and used, not some rusty relic that got hung on the wall in the den.
I had some cheap stuff on hand for the occasional "special tool" you had to manufacture.
Then there's those expensive special tools you had to buy because its the only way you could get the job done in a reasonable amount of time.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors