The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Removal of the hood "cover" a good idea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I do not have a pic at hand of my own Boss, but I asked myself if it is a good idea to take the hood "cover" away on my 2012:
2n9vl34.jpg

To save some weight and probably that hood takes up some of the heat, which would make the engine bay slightly cooler. What do you think?

It is going to save you next to nothing on weight, unless you are looking at a corner balance where ounces make a difference. Also it is not going to make the engine run cooler, heat from these engines is internal and not around the engine bay. You will get more noise that is about it, just my 2 cents.

GA
My thought was that over time it might cook your hood stripes, but since you have hood vents is probably won't be a problem.

MLM

Mike
My understanding is that the insulation is designed to suppress both noise and fire.

MLM said:
My understanding is that the insulation is designed to suppress both noise and fire.

I think you are correct, but few fire barriers work as well as metal. ;)

I saw an interview with a NASCAR builder once and he said that they cut off the ends of every bolt that showed more than two threads past the end of the torqued nut. If you follow a philosophy of every ounce counts, then go for it. I have never seen one on a 302R, which uses the factory hood.

MLM said:

correct, it serves multiple purposes.
heat may damage the stripe adhesive and probably accelerate the yellowing of the hood vents (if you have a white boss :( )
it also helps extinguish fires by melting and smothering the fire. i personally wouldn't remove it.

And it would keep the metal hood from getting hot so you could actually open the hood and spray a fire out. The hood metal (aluminum) is not a good heat barrier - too conductive.

None of the SSP Mustangs came with this as a weight saving. Don't know how much it actually saved, but I never had issues with mine (Execessive heat, etc.) in the 19 years of driving it.

Rob

DGRacing said:
And it would keep the metal hood from getting hot so you could actually open the hood and spray a fire out. The hood metal (aluminum) is not a good heat barrier - too conductive.

First of all, this is why I tell people to always wear driving gloves. It actually has nothing to do with the driving. It has to do with getting through broken glass or past a jagged piece of metal or over hot bodywork to get to safety, when things turn ill. I live in Texas, so we can't open our hoods in the middle of the day without gloves, fire or not.

As for the other properties of the pad, I'm skeptical. I know for a fact that fire suppression is an intent, but I don't see it happening in practice. I have seen an engine fire up close and personal and that little baby blanket doesn't do anything. Lots of engine fire photos online, if you are so inclined to look.

Anyway, I can't see that it makes much difference either way. If you have even the smallest concern, just leave it. You won't even know it's there. ;)

Thanks for all the replies. You have convinced me to leave it as it is. :)

A friend has just removed it on his 2012 LS and we will see if there will happen anything to the painting on the hood at the track. :-\

I'm pretty sure it is mostly for noise and sound deadening. I have also notices that it funnels water as well if when you wash it. Mine has never seen rain, so I can't address that possibility yet. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors