The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

remove rear spoiler

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

i am thinking about removing the rear spoiler on my yellow boss. does anyone know if the paint is affected by removing the adhesive tape under the spoiler? How many holes will there be? Can the holes be plugged with something that looks half way good? I dont want to take it to a body shop because I may want to put it back on someday.

wrongway said:
i am thinking about removing the rear spoiler on my yellow boss. does anyone know if the paint is affected by removing the adhesive tape under the spoiler? How many holes will there be? Can the holes be plugged with something that looks half way good? I dont want to take it to a body shop because I may want to put it back on someday.
The paint should be fine but you'll have four approximately 5/16" and one 3/4" holes to deal with. The only way to make it look good will be to fill the holes in and have it painted. IMO rubber plugs are going to ruin the look.

5.0 i just read through some of your old posts and one of them says that there are only four holes. the post is located in the thread " laguna seca rear spoiler". will u verify four or five holes. could the 3/4" hole you referred to be incorrect? thanks again

Read this thread a few pages in. It has pictures by several people, base spoiler has four holes on top and bigger holes in the underside.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/new-wing-494586/

I don't understand why you would want to run around with plugs in the deck lid, how will that look better then the spoiler? I understand to each his own but if you take it off get a new lid to put on. Otherwise just plug it with gum because nothing will look right.

wrongway said:
5.0 i just read through some of your old posts and one of them says that there are only four holes. the post is located in the thread " laguna seca rear spoiler". will u verify four or five holes. could the 3/4" hole you referred to be incorrect? thanks again
Those posts were before I installed the LS spoiler. There's a 3/4" hole for the rear camera wiring harness which is not included on our cars. Like Scott suggested if you don't want a spoiler and want to keep your car original then buy a new rear deck lid and have it painted.

I've come to my senses and will have the holes filled and then painted. Those hole would look horrible plugged. Thanks for all of the help.

wrongway said:
I've come to my senses and will have the holes filled and then painted. Those hole would look horrible plugged. Thanks for all of the help.

I still would not do that, you should get a new deck lid. The time, effort and money for paint and body work is just not worth it IMHO.

GA
2012YellowBoss said:
wrongway said:

I still would not do that, you should get a new deck lid. The time, effort and money for paint and body work is just not worth it IMHO.

+1. If I were to ever put a spoiler ON the Bullitt for the track I would get another GT trunk lid. You should do the same for a hood if you ever wanted to cut a hole for a Shaker.

If I get a new deck lid wont it still need to be painted? Ill have to paint (yellow blaze) either way so why spend the extra four or five hundred for the new lid? will filling the holes cost much?

TMO Supporting Vendors