The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Remove Side Exhaust Completely for "Ford Lope Sound"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saw this "Comment" on the video that has the Lope that Ford first allowed us to hear (which obviously is not "Exactly" what we got), but one guy commented that if you remove the side pipes completely (just take them off), then it sounds like the lope in the video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5p8WQj9apw

1. is that even legal to do that?
2. is it safe for the car to do that?
3. does it really sound like that?

Interesting concept, I am sure someone will confirm or deny this soon with their own video...

Look at the Comment though, one guy said if you completely remove the side exhaust (I assume like do when you remove the plates) it will sound like the video?

rpm3dinc said:
"I took my side exit exhaust completely off. And with the track key it sounds like this.
SVTCobraNick 5 months ago"
Not happening. Ask yourself, did the Boss in the original video have side pipes? Then ask anyone with an aftermarket lopey idle tune how street-able that tune is.

I understand what you are saying DOT... but this video is supposedly a "Stock" Track key Tuned car that had the "Original Track Key Tune" before it was modified to pass California emissions Laws. While I understand our Track Key tune is never going to Lope as far part as this (Plus it would make city driving nearly impossible). What I am interested in mainly is the loudness of the Lope.

Some say this video was made with the Exhaust Plates out, and some say they just took the side dumps off completely...

Either way Its obviously something we can never have on our cars... I was mainly looking to make the Lope "Louder" not more "Cammy"...

Thanks everyone for the comments..

Someone here said they drove the car with the side pipes completely removed and it wasn't that much louder, probably because of the angle and that they are under the car. If you want louder then the Kooks (search for it here, there were issues) side pipes might be what you want. It should be a lot louder but I don't think it will make the idle lumpier as that is the ECU.

You aren't going to wreck your motor by idling it with the pipes off, so you could just try it. I moved mine around a bit with one pipe off while testing baffle sizes but it was the passenger side so I didn't really hear a difference. You can also try to find a video with the Kooks side pipes.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
rpm3dinc said:
"I took my side exit exhaust completely off. And with the track key it sounds like this.
SVTCobraNick 5 months ago"
Not happening. Ask yourself, did the Boss in the original video have side pipes? Then ask anyone with an aftermarket lopey idle tune how street-able that tune is.
I have had three diff versions of an aftermarket "lopey" tune. AED loepy idle tune is 100% driveable nearly as perfect as the trackey is (I have had the trackey on my boss before).

JLP, not very driveable at all but sure did sound good at idle.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHr16ObHlRA[/youtube]

The steeda tune better but kept stalling all the time and felt like it cost you 100hp

AED everybit as powerful as his reg idle tune.

I don't believe this for a second.

SVTCobraNick"

Making your car louder is not going to give you a "lopier idle". There was a post here about a guy that purchased some aftermarket sidepipes and he said they were louder but no mention of lopier. You might want to look that up. Remember though when you open up the rear exhaust and decrease back pressure you have less sound coming out of the side pipes.

Justin

but if you just want louder swap the mid pipe with a MRT mid pipe (Requires a tune for maximum performance
)
http://www.mrt-direct.com/93o900.html

Justin

5 DOT 0 said:
I don't believe this for a second.

SVTCobraNick"

Making your car louder is not going to give you a "lopier idle". There was a post here about a guy that purchased some aftermarket sidepipes and he said they were louder but no mention of lopier. You might want to look that up. Remember though when you open up the rear exhaust and decrease back pressure you have less sound coming out of the side pipes.
I can vouch for this

Ok, so noted and resolved that issue now...

However something you said raises another question:

5Dot Said: "Remember though when you open up the rear exhaust and decrease back pressure you have less sound coming out of the side pipes. "

So, that raises this question... If I change my Axle Backs to a different kind like Borla Ataks, or Pypes Bombs... will that reduce the back pressure therefore making the Side pipes quieter?

Or am I misunderstanding your statement?

rpm3dinc said:
So, that raises this question... If I change my Axle Backs to a different kind like Borla Ataks, or Pypes Bombs... will that reduce the back pressure therefore making the Side pipes quieter?
Correct, they will be quieter. Do you already have your side pipes open? You need back pressure to get maximum sound from the side pipes. You will still get sound from them but just not as much.

I have removed the plates completely, and I am thinking about putting different axel backs on to get a deeper louder sound, but I don't want to hurt the side exhaust sound at the same time...

rpm3dinc said:
I have removed the plates completely, and I am thinking about putting different axel backs on to get a deeper louder sound, but I don't want to hurt the side exhaust sound at the same time...
I have the GT500 axle backs and while I didn't originally like the diminished sound from the side pipes I still like it better this way and most do. I say go for what you want out back and you'll be fine. The sound is still there and I can tell you out on track our cars sound fantastic. I get compliments all the time.

TMO Supporting Vendors