The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Removed Fuel Rail Covers - Car sounds awesome!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Roadhouse... uh, yeah, I get that THAT part! :D

Seriously though, I was wondering how he dealt with cut edges, the back side where the 302 intake interferes, etc... I guess I should been more clear and said that I wonder how he managed to get such a clean looking result on a cut up. Anyway, I think the 5.0 intake looks much more "finished" than the foam pieces and should hold less heat in. If I could work a piece like that with some GHIG inserts I would definitely go that route.

Tulsa, OK
Lol ok glad we are the same page :D

I'm not a huge fan of the look and actually prefer the exposed fuel rails but his install is extremely clean. I'm curious how he attached the cover since it originally snaps into place in the middle of the GT intake manifold. Some GHIG inserts would definitely add some nice flair. No harm in finding a GT intake cover and hacking away ;)

ArizonaGT said:
I can't really hear a change over the exhaust.

Same with me (if windows are down). But with all windows up, you will hear a difference in engine note.

Can someone post a pic of the enginebay w/ these removed?

Well, you can look at any of the Boss race cars. Hmmm...now why would those boys run without these cooling blankets? ;)

Anyway, I removed mine back when I did my engine breather project. I can't say that I noticed any additional sound, but I'm old and deaf so any subtle change might be lost on me. I also removed the blankets stapled to the firewall and as I am in the middle of my gauge pod project, I am removing all sorts of sound deadening materials. If I go too far, there isn't anything that I can't reverse, but I bought this car thinking it was a true Club Sport model. Well, it ain't. Not, yet. ;)

How bad is it? I was going to reveal this in my gauge pod write-up, but I'll spill it for this thread - did you know the Boss...this race car with a license plate...comes with a ring bearer's pillow? There it is at the bottom:

gauges_23.jpg

WTF? ??? Is that...satin? God, if the Z-28 guys ever found out...

I like the idea of not trapping any heat under these foam covers. I know they put these covers there to cut down on the ticking sound from the injectors which is usually only noticeable when you have the engine running with the hood open. We design OEM injectors where I work and noise is a big deal with most OEM's. I guess most of the people buying cars these days don't expect an engine to make any noise.

Anyway, just took them off and went for a drive. Can't hear any difference, but I'll be glad the let the engine dissipate heat a little better.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Well , here's to resurrecting and thread from the dead!!! I'm new to the Boss and wondered about those covers from day one. So all this info is really making it easy to pull those foam covers. Not much weight savings... but man they do trap lots of heat!! Can't see any advantage to leaving them on, especially on track days. Plus I like seeing the Boss
"highrise intake" now !!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel