The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Removing Front Fascia

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
So I want to remove the front fascia/bumper cover to replace my headlights with HIDs I got from Raxiom. They also would match my smoked look on the tailights and the side and rear markers. How difficult is that to do, as the youtube video from AM [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZht_4LtIU[/youtube] makes it look simple if you have a jack and a good place to put the pieces you remove. Thoughts?

P.S. this would be my 686 post, and since my car is 686, I suppose that makes this my golden post! :D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
For your first time, it will come off in about 20 mins. 10 mins after you see how easy it is.

Two bolts on the top of the grille, then two screws in each side of the wheelwell. Pull the sides out sharply until they unlock from the plastic snap-retainers (this is the most harrowing part), then unplug each marker light and the temperature sensor in the front grille.

Then just pull the whole thing off.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ArizonaGT said:
For your first time, it will come off in about 20 mins. 10 mins after you see how easy it is.

Two bolts on the top of the grille, then two screws in each side of the wheelwell. Pull the sides out sharply until they unlock from the plastic snap-retainers (this is the most harrowing part), then unplug each marker light and the temperature sensor in the front grille.

i didn't remove the wheel well liners but everything else in the above videos has to be undone

If you're looking for some written instructions go to the Roush website and they have excellent instructions on how to install their fascia on the 2010-2012 cars you can download.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ufnavy06 said:
Guess I need some jacks. No military base here for me to use. Recommendations?
yeah get a pair of rhino ramps its what I used and I use them all the time. you dont need to remove the front wheels just use a 1/4' ratchet on the two 7mm bolts in the fender well. its what I did.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
ArizonaGT said:

I think you need to do 4 more 7 or 8mm screws between the front cover and the front undertray.

You can do it all without a jack or ramps if you can get to those 4 screws.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
I think you need to do 4 more 7 or 8mm screws between the front cover and the front undertray.

You can do it all without a jack or ramps if you can get to those 4 screws.

Yeah, that's correct...forgot about those lil buggers.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Just drive the front tires up on blocks. That's plenty of room to be able to get to the bolts underneath...actually, if you know where the bolts are, you can do it right on the ground.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
NFSBOSS said:
You should add a tow hook to the front while you have it off. I know where you can buy one. ;)

Probably wouldn't hurt. Send me in the right direction Rick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

First time I took it off was to put on the 2012 towhook kit from cool tech ( on my 2013). Didn't fit. Buttoned it back up and worked with cool tech to create a 2013 version. Second time was a charm. Put on the new 2013 boss plate and was good to go. Third time I took the front facia off was backing down off the trailer after adding the boss splitter. Probably the fastest removal but not recommended.
Seriously, after all the times I've done it its pretty easy. Don't be shy about popping the clip retainers off after all the bolts and screws are out.
Good luck.

Maui
ufnavy06 said:
So I want to remove the front fascia/bumper cover to replace my headlights with HIDs I got from Raxiom. They also would match my smoked look on the tailights and the side and rear markers. How difficult is that to do, as the youtube video from AM [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ouZht_4LtIU[/youtube] makes it look simple if you have a jack and a good place to put the pieces you remove. Thoughts?

P.S. this would be my 686 post, and since my car is 686, I suppose that makes this my golden post! :D

Hey UFnavy,

When you get your raxioms installed, you should start an aftermarket headlight thread... can't wait to see them on

TMO Supporting Vendors