The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Removing Front Sway Bar

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was wondering if anyone has done this. If so could you tell much difference in how the car handles on the street? We drag race our Boss at the track and I've been told that will remove alot of weight off the nose of the car. Any insight would be appreciated. We drive the car to the track and on the street quit often.

Thanks,
J.Shoot

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
It's common to disconnect the front sway bar when drag racing. This assists in weight transfer by freeing up the front suspension just a bit.

Removing it......I would not recommend this if driving to the track. You need some roll control on the street.

Just about every car made since the 60's has a front bar....Can't think of any without. There is a reason.

I have seen kits which allow easy disconnection of the front bar at the track. They usually have a separation on the middle of the link between the front bar and the suspension. There should be some available for the Mustang.

Disconnecting the front links at the track is not difficult. Take off the wheel, unbolt the link, secure it to keep it from bouncing around or remove completely. Reconnect for the drive home.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Pretty sure the full suspension travel issues were resolved when ford switched from the bushing sandwich dealio to the spherical end links.

Plenty of drag racers drive to the track without the sway bar. Never heard of anyone having issues. You just can't pull any "batman lane changes".

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
pufferfish said:
Pretty sure the full suspension travel issues were resolved when ford switched from the bushing sandwich dealio to the spherical end links.

Plenty of drag racers drive to the track without the sway bar. Never heard of anyone having issues. You just can't pull any "batman lane changes".

Agreed.

Removing the bar for anything but on track use is not a good idea.

The old system with 4 bushings sandwiched around the bar and lower control arms did bind a bit.

I still advise against driving without a front bar. You just don't know what the other drivers will do. Body roll will surprise you without the bar.

TMO Supporting Vendors