The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Removing OEM UCA bracket

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
2009 GT. I have removed and replaced the third link bracket twice without trouble--did not even have to drop the gas tank. Now I have a new bracket from Steeda. This afternoon I removed all the bolts easily (well, with the help of a breaker bar and a 1" pipe) and the bracket and link are loose. It won't come out. I have removed the bolts holding the gas tank brackets. I've tried with jack stands under the axle and under the frame at full droop. I have tried to use a pry bar and an old 24" long Craftsman screwdriver, but there is little purchase to be had and even less space to lever. Any ideas why this problem now, when twice before it's been (relatively) easy-peasy?

Not sure that I'm following you. What exactly is stuck?
Did you remove the bolts under the seat and are pulling that bracket out?
Or are you just trying to remove the " dog bone" that goes from bracket to diff?
If it's the dog bone, full droop will bind up the piece and it's a PITA to get the bolts out. You sort of have to raise and lower the diff to find the sweet spot, loosening the panhard bar bolts may help a bit, but not much.
I usually pop the rear seats out, remove everything at once, then when I reinstall it, I leave everything loose, tighten the bracket to floor pan first, then the through bolt at the bracket then the diff.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
Not sure that I'm following you. What exactly is stuck?
Did you remove the bolts under the seat and are pulling that bracket out?
Or are you just trying to remove the " dog bone" that goes from bracket to diff?
If it's the dog bone, full droop will bind up the piece and it's a PITA to get the bolts out. You sort of have to raise and lower the diff to find the sweet spot, loosening the panhard bar bolts may help a bit, but not much.
I usually pop the rear seats out, remove everything at once, then when I reinstall it, I leave everything loose, tighten the bracket to floor pan first, then the through bolt at the bracket then the diff.
All the bolts are out: three for the bracket and one from the axle end of the link. The link/bracket assembly is loose (I can move it easily) and there is plenty of room since the axle is in full droop. The damn thing won't come out from under the seat/ above the gasoline tank. I will try removing the bolt connecting the link and bracket. Since there's lots of room above the diff I don't think that's the problem.

I'm trying to think, I don't recall removing / moving my fuel tanks to get that bracket out. Try just unbolting the dog bone from the bracket, but that will be a PITA if it's not anchored.
Let me know what you find, I'm interested in this in case I run into it.

I'm also unclear what you mean about dropping the gas tank, that definitely isn't necessary.

One idea, there is a protrusion on the forward bolt of the bracket, the one that the really big bolt threads into from the top, from under the rear seat. That protrusion might be binding in the cavity in the body of the car, if you aren't pulling the bracket out evenly front and rear and perpendicular to the sheet metal. That protrusion on the bracket is also female threaded to accept the bolt from above, perhaps you could try re-installing the bolt slightly and tapping lightly from above to get that protrusion out from the cavity in the chassis? But I would only tap it lightly, it shouldn't take much if the bracket isn't twisted relative to the car body.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
I'm also unclear what you mean about dropping the gas tank, that definitely isn't necessary.

One idea, there is a protrusion on the forward bolt of the bracket, the one that the really big bolt threads into from the top, from under the rear seat. That protrusion might be binding in the cavity in the body of the car, if you aren't pulling the bracket out evenly front and rear and perpendicular to the sheet metal. That protrusion on the bracket is also female threaded to accept the bolt from above, perhaps you could try re-installing the bolt slightly and tapping lightly from above to get that protrusion out from the cavity in the chassis? But I would only tap it lightly, it shouldn't take much if the bracket isn't twisted relative to the car body.
You are exactly right. After spending more of the holiday under the car than I intended, it is clear that the bung welded on the bracket to receive the primary mounting bolt will not clear the frame mount. I thought the problem was the opposite--that the bracket was too low to clear. I will try tapping tomorrow. Thanks for your post.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
I'm trying to think, I don't recall removing / moving my fuel tanks to get that bracket out. Try just unbolting the dog bone from the bracket, but that will be a PITA if it's not anchored.
Let me know what you find, I'm interested in this in case I run into it.
That's what I remember as well. I only lowered the tank because that is what Steeda recommended to install the new bracket. Per @stevebd's post, I will try to tap my way out of this tomorrow.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
Update: the tapping trick did not work. I dropped the gas tank another inch or so (maybe 2-1/2" total) and the bracket came right out. I can't feel anything that may have held it in place, but there is no doubt that the bung receiving the top bolt could not clear the frame reinforcement.

That's kind of odd, maybe it was a different generation of trailing arm bracket?
It is a " trailing arm" control arms go east and west, trailing ( and leading) arms go north and south.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
That's kind of odd, maybe it was a different generation of trailing arm bracket?
It is a " trailing arm" control arms go east and west, trailing ( and leading) arms go north and south.
Nope, OEM. Previously removed to install adjustable arm, but didn't have to lower the tank either for removal or re-installation. In another forum, a poster suggested that the tank may have shifted or settled. It would have had to shift up, not down, and my limited knowledge of gravity suggests that's not likely. Also, the bracket appears undamaged. It's kinda dirty, and that poly bushing grease is hell to get off your hands, but there's no visible indication that it was twisted or bent.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
South Carolina
Almost too embarrassed to post this one. Finally finished installing the Steeda bracket this weekend. Stripped the threads on both bolt and bracket. Couldn't find an M14x2 tap or die in central SC, so waited a week for Amazon Asian specials. They worked--three times. Once I threaded the main mounting bolt everything else went smoothly. My "clunk" remains, but it's good to get the car off the jackstands and back on the road. Many thanks for advice from stevbd and Rob.

Like I used to tell the new probie firefighters, "No matter what you screw up, someone has done it before, and it was probably me". At least you're getting it figured out.

TMO Supporting Vendors