The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Removing of boss 302 hood decal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was wondering if anybody has removed the boss 302 hood decal by any chance. And if so how and was it hard? I know this isn’t a performance question, but my decal has some nice chips in it and looks a little faded at certain angles. Plus, I’m getting paint correction and 2 stage ceramic done soon. And the orange peel underneath it just makes it look worse.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Stickers can be removed with heat. A heat gun usually does the job. A little paint thinner or goo be gone cleans up the residue. It may take a little more effort considering the age of the stickers. Several members have done so.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
What is all that stuff? clay bar, cut/buff, ceramic??? I wash my track car (with dish detergent!!!! Sacre Bleu!!!) and shammy it off and she's done, spend more time getting brake dust off the wheels than anything else. My road car I treat even worse, about all I shammy is the glass! Both of them pass the car length test with flying colours. Sort of. ;)

Anyone care to do a 2 minute primer on the state of the art in all these paint treatments these days? I have no clue....

I set my car out in the sun on a warm day for an hour and then had the decal removed within an hour. Removing the residue was the hardest part. See the photo in my signature for how it looked removed.

2012 performance white. I’m having my friend do the paint correction/ceramic at his shop and he’s the most ocd person I’ve ever met when it comes to cars. Which is good. It just bothers me that the hood decal looks the way it does. I take care of my car, and then when you see that decal all messed up it really stands out. plus the orange peel is highlighted underneath it

I’m probably gonna leave it go for a yr or so, then I will have it painted on then cleared. I like the gt500 rear wing so would get that painted the same time. I do like all the stripes on the car, it really does break up the white nicely. Plus it’s not a boss 302 without stripes! The shelbys can pull off the stripe delete, but for some reason the boss looks better with them on. Doesn’t matter what yr, at least that’s my opinion

What is all that stuff? clay bar, cut/buff, ceramic??? I wash my track car (with dish detergent!!!! Sacre Bleu!!!) and shammy it off and she's done, spend more time getting brake dust off the wheels than anything else. My road car I treat even worse, about all I shammy is the glass! Both of them pass the car length test with flying colours. Sort of. ;)

Anyone care to do a 2 minute primer on the state of the art in all these paint treatments these days? I have no clue....
The cla

The ceramic coating you can put on cars is top notch. The shine is unbelievable and it offers a layer of protection for the clear coat and paint. Then just a quick wash And a quick detail and it will look amazing. You just need to correct the paint before it goes on. Cause it will put a decent barrier over the paint and the next guy who try’s to get the paint right will charge more. I’ve had many of Fox body’s that we’re just quick washed and maybe a cheap wax job. But this car I just can’t do that. Who says you can’t pound the crap out of a car and still make it look good right! Haha

I set my car out in the sun on a warm day for an hour and then had the decal removed within an hour. Removing the residue was the hardest part. See the photo in my signature for how it looked removed.
It looked good without the decal on the hood. I think the side stripes on the 12’s our a little more boisterous then the 13’s. That the hood decal looks good on or off. If it was a 13, I think it might not look as good. And nice Porsche, one day a cayman gt4 will be next to the boss one day in the garage.

Well removed the hood decal. Gotta say, I actually like the look of it. Just gotta wash and clean it up. It came off pretty fast to, maybe 10-15 minutes with a hair dryer sitting in the sun. I don’t think I’m gonna put another one back on

0957AC8A-A1A6-4B69-9FBB-5F4736AFA672.png

As a detail guy from way back, I hope you’re being sarcastic...?

Clay bars remove any contaminates that your typical mit wash misses. Little particles of road debris, Iron/metal/carbon dust from brakes, stuff like that that gets into your clear coat. The clay bar removes it.

Cut & buff is the process in which you use compounds to “cut” down through the top layer of the clear coat to remove any scratches/swirl marks, etc. Buffing is done after this to smooth the clear coat top layer back out and give that nice shine we all know and love to see.

Ceramic Coating is a protective chemical layer done to protect the clear coat after you have corrected it. Simply put, it fills in the microscopic imperfections of the clear coat. This makes it very hard for the contaminates I mentioned before to attach to the surface that’s been treated. As an added bonus, your car becomes easier to wash, & stays cleaner for longer.

If you’re being even half serious about how you care for your car now, if you spend the time/money to do this, your Boss will look like new when it’s done. Also-please, just use car wash, a microfiber mit/glove with a bucket, and some good quality car wash to clean your car. A chamois to dry and spray wax after your done is all you need to do to keep your car looking brand new.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
As a detail guy from way back, I hope you’re being sarcastic...?

Clay bars remove any contaminates that your typical mit wash misses. Little particles of road debris, Iron/metal/carbon dust from brakes, stuff like that that gets into your clear coat. The clay bar removes it.

Cut & buff is the process in which you use compounds to “cut” down through the top layer of the clear coat to remove any scratches/swirl marks, etc. Buffing is done after this to smooth the clear coat top layer back out and give that nice shine we all know and love to see.

Ceramic Coating is a protective chemical layer done to protect the clear coat after you have corrected it. Simply put, it fills in the microscopic imperfections of the clear coat. This makes it very hard for the contaminates I mentioned before to attach to the surface that’s been treated. As an added bonus, your car becomes easier to wash, & stays cleaner for longer.

If you’re being even half serious about how you care for your car now, if you spend the time/money to do this, your Boss will look like new when it’s done. Also-please, just use car wash, a microfiber mit/glove with a bucket, and some good quality car wash to clean your car. A chamois to dry and spray wax after your done is all you need to do to keep your car looking brand new.

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I had no clue, I commit every sin there is when it comes to the paint on a car. Now I know better! At least I use a good mit and a natural chamois but I will have to get some car wash and retire the dish soap.

I have to ask with all this cutting of the clear coat is it not going to eventually be worn right away?

Thanks for taking the time to give the education, much appreciated.

I am going to try a paint correction and ceramic coating for the first time here next week. The materials cost about $700, but it will be enough to wash for years and coat a few vehicles. We'll see how this goes! Just a simple clay bar and wax will do wonders though.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
IMHO, it looks plain Jane without the hood decal. I think I'd consider painting it back on if the only reason you took it off was because it was damaged. I've heard of a few who have removed all the Boss decals and I just don't get it.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors