The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Removing of boss 302 hood decal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No, I wasn't being sarcastic. I had no clue, I commit every sin there is when it comes to the paint on a car. Now I know better! At least I use a good mit and a natural chamois but I will have to get some car wash and retire the dish soap.

I have to ask with all this cutting of the clear coat is it not going to eventually be worn right away?

Thanks for taking the time to give the education, much appreciated.
You’re right about the cut & buff. It takes a little of the clear coat away when you do it, so it’s not something you wanna do often! That’s why a lot of people take such a number of steps to protect the paint after they do it.

There’s a few threads on TMO that go into paint care, but it’s definitely a rabbit hole you can fall down. Don’t get overwhelmed or discouraged. Just wash with a good car wash detergent (Meguiars Gold Class is my favorite, but several brands make a nice product). Grab you a cheap 5 gal bucket, and use a grit guard with it. Get a separate mit/brush for your wheels and tires, and watch some YouTube videos to help you develop your own method. A spray wax applied with a good microfiber cloth after a wash is just fine if you wash one every week or two, and enjoy a clean car for years to come.

I absolutely LOVE detailing cars, and once you spend an hour or two doing it with the right stuff, you’ll be amazed at how beautiful your car comes out.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel