Rental Trailers

Discussion in 'TMO General Discussion Forum' started by Bouncing Soul, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Bouncing Soul

Bouncing Soul TMO Intermediate

Hoping for some experience here.

I rented a Uhaul car hauler years ago to haul my Mach 1, which I ended up backing on. The GT350R is lower and has a lot more going on with the splitter etc. Anyone used rented trailers to tow their GT350? Do I need race ramps? Frame tow hooks (for trailering)?

Would love to buy a trailer but no space at the current house.

Grant 302 likes this.
  2. Jza1736

Jza1736 TMO Addict

I deal with the same issue with my lowered Boss.

I rent a u haul for track days. $60/day with the insurance is not to bad.

I cut 2" x 12" x 18" for the front of the trailer. This keeps my splitter from hitting the trailer. I also made my own ramps with the 2" X 12". Never any issues

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HR692, JeffV8 and Grant 302 like this.
  3. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Frame hooks are not necessary. I have four short axel straps I pool over the axel and through the lower control arms

TymeSlayer and Bill Pemberton like this.
  4. JDee

JDee Ancient Racer

There are slots in the floor of the regular Mustang into which tow guys can insert a special fitting, there is one of the fittings on each end of a chain and they use it to winch the cars aboard a flat deck. They are right behind the front wheels and in front of the back wheels in the floor of the car just inside of the rocker panels. Might be able to use them somehow for tie downs if you acquired the fitting that slots into those holes. Not sure about the GT350 but I would expect those holes would be there as well.

5. Jza1736

Jza1736 TMO Addict

The uhaul trailers come with tie down straps for the front wheels. I've never had to add anything else or tie down the back.

Bouncing Soul and byronj like this.
  6. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

I’m in the same boat here. Are they easy to load and strap down onto the U-Haul?

TIA

7. TymeSlayer

TymeSlayer Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...

I've been using Cushioned straps through the all four wheels in my car hauler and not only had no issues with the car moving but the pads really do a nice job protecting the finish. On longer trips it a good idea to stop and check the straps but I know many folks who have been doing this for years without problems.

8. Jza1736

Jza1736 TMO Addict

Never had a problem.

I got a blow out on the trailer wheel once. They get to you in 30 minutes to change it. [​IMG]

9. Bouncing Soul

Can you get a low Mustang on it without ramps of some kind?

10. Jza1736

Jza1736 TMO Addict

Probably, but I can't, because of the splitter.

I put a 4"x4" block under the trailer jack and put it as high as it will go. [​IMG]

Bouncing Soul likes this.
  11. Bouncing Soul

Thanks! With that splitter working on just a 4x4 I should be fine with same for the R.

12. SBY_2013

SBY_2013 TMO Intermediate

I've been using U-Haul to tow my lowered Boss 302 for years. I do use race ramps to get the car up on the trailer. Obviously you could manufacturer your own. Just as big of an issue as when you get the car up to where the front wheels would touch the wheel stops you'd most certainly smash your splitter - even if it isn't lowered. What I've done is put a 2x12 cut to fit where the wheels sit and put a 2x4 (about a foot long) in the tire path to make sure the car is lifted before the splitter would hit. It'll take you 20 minutes to figure this out.

As far as the trailer goes I love them. They are super easy and very inexpensive. They tow perfectly. Knock on wood I haven't had an issue with blown tire or the like. I've thought about getting my own trailer but have no where to store it.

HR692, byronj and Bouncing Soul like this.
  13. HR692

HR692 TMO Intermediate

The next time you have your car loaded up I'd love to see some photos or the process.

14. SBY_2013

SBY_2013 TMO Intermediate

I’ll be heading to Road America in May so will get pics then.

15. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

If I remember I'll get some for you in two weeks. Im taking my car to Willow Springs and its 5 hours from me.

HR692 likes this.
  16. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

Bill Pemberton likes this.
  17. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

Good product , I have used Mac's tie downs over the years , though never bought the entire kit, as no need for the bag and a few other items. The key is they may be a bit more money , but great straps for your precious baby -- go ahead and tell me you are going to be on the cheap side when you are concerned about her safety, ha,ha!?

18. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

Bill-I used to race motorcycles and learned the expensive and hard way that going cheap is way more expensive than doing it right the first time. So I’m all about spending the cash upfront and having what I need when I need it. For example, I bought three sets of leathers because the first 2 sets were cheap, didn’t fit right, and just didn’t hold up well.

Bill Pemberton likes this.
  19. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

No wonder you are fast! Never met a motorcycle road course pilot who was not quick when he had a big shell around him and two additional tires. Loved instructing two wheel racers as they completely understand the concept of the correct line and where they have to place the bike -- makes where they put the car quite precise! Of course , the bike had to be very exact of they would be on their back? Our business taught us to find high quality parts for our customers , along with great service , because when there was a issue , we needed to resolve it quickly. Mac's tie downs are gold standard!

byronj likes this.
  20. byronj

byronj TMO Addict

I’m not fast in the GT350 yet. But being able to trailer it clears up a lot of reservations I have while on the track.