The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Replace stock clutch line for Exedy hyper single install?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
If the snow ever stops up here in SD (3-6" more forecast for Wed, after the 12"+ we got last weekend), I'll get the Boss out of hibernation and have the Exedy hyper single installed.
I'm still running the stock clutch line.
Replace it, or will it be fine? After searching here, I didn't find any real definitive benefit - although in 2011-12 they were replaced hoping to fix shift issues.
If replace, what brand? LMR's SVT at about $80 looks good. JPC? Some brands have the ends threaded on--seems like one more place to leak. LMR's pics appear to be one piece ends.
I've read some start leaking - is that at the connections, or the hose itself?

If the snow ever stops up here in SD (3-6" more forecast for Wed, after the 12"+ we got last weekend), I'll get the Boss out of hibernation and have the Exedy hyper single installed.
I'm still running the stock clutch line.
Replace it, or will it be fine? After searching here, I didn't find any real definitive benefit - although in 2011-12 they were replaced hoping to fix shift issues.
If replace, what brand? LMR's SVT at about $80 looks good. JPC? Some brands have the ends threaded on--seems like one more place to leak. LMR's pics appear to be one piece ends.
I've read some start leaking - is that at the connections, or the hose itself?
It has been so long ago when I got mine I cannot recall if the ends are threaded. I got mine from directly from Ford Performance. I would think you could use nylon tape at the thread if it is. I have had not any problem whatsoever with my SS clutch line. I believe the primary advantage is two-fold over the stock OEM line. The OEM is plastic and over time with the engine heat it's exposed to I would think the plastic would eventually start cracking. Secondly, I saw a YT video sometime ago that addressed the issue of the OEM stock clutch line having an opening which restricts the amout of fluid that can pass through it. This was clearly demonstrated on the video to be true. As this item is not very an expensive item it would seem to me to be a good investment to swap it out.

drano38

Wayne
Thanks guys, appreciate the info. Always get great advice here.
Looks like this time the answer is NOT spending OPM.

Wow, lots of good information here! Wanted to update you all after running at VIR this past weekend with the SVT Cobra Club on how my Exedy Hyper Single, MGW Racespec Shifter, Trans cooling scoop, separate clutch reservoir, new throw-out bearing and fresh Ford recommended transmission fluid performed.........AWESOME!!!!! Not a hint of lockout or any shifting issues!!! Ran almost 300 miles on track over the weekend and the car performed flawlessly! In fact I knocked 6 seconds off my best lap from the last event here in November when I was having lockout issues! Needless to say I am very happy with the car now after these upgrades and plan to keep her for a long time!! Thanks for all the help!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors