The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Replacement Clutch Kits (Mustang Roundup)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oh how it's been awhile since I've posted on BMO/TMO.............but know the information on here is worth it.

We've got the 10th Anniversary of the Mustang Roundup coming in October and I am in search of replacing the OEM Clutch finally, but do not know which one is best.

I've been told to look at McLeod and Exedy but honestly don't have a clue as to what is absolutely needed.

One kit I looked at was the following: https://www.lethalperformance.com/l...-2017-5-0l-mustang-gt-2012-2013-boss-302.html

If anyone on here could point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.......I am working on getting the car prepped for Hastings!

(Best thing about this year is I don't have to worry about 12coBoss in my class anymore....LOL)

Suprmn

What do you do with your car after the Roundup? Is it street driven?

A metallic clutch usually has a more abrupt engagement. Stop and go, not so good.

It is street driven.....usually after the Roundup it goes into winter hibernation! LOL.

the gold standard is the Exedy Hyper Single for track and street, you may find it a bit aggressive for street only, however a lot of guys are running it. At the time of my clutches demise, I couldn't locate one so I ended up with the Spec version of, it behind my 07 GT500, it's been a fire and forget clutch.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
I will have to agree with both of the above post & I believe they both run SPEC clutches.

It looks like you may have a mostly street Boss 302. But your link tells us you like a clutch assembly that:
  • Clutch Handles Up to 700 HP and 700 ft/lbs of Torque.
Do you need that because you now have a Forced Induction engine?

Tell us more about your Boss 302, it’s mods and what you’re looking to accomplish.

But with that said, if you have a mostly Street Boss and street manors is important to you, look at the SPEC +2 or +3 clutch assemblies. Insist upon a sprung hub disc with organic material. Replace the Hydraulic Slave TOB & I recommend you replace the Flywheel with a Spec Lightened Steel unit & don’t forget the Pilot Bushing.

Spec machining of their Flywheels is the industry standard for accuracy.

Other than that, tell us more about what you need it to do.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Look at the SPEC 2+ clutch that I use for the track and very little street use but when I am on the street, I have no issues with this version. I matched it with their lightweight steel flywheel and am experiencing no NVH.

Not sure why you have to be hating on me.... Anyways, everyone will have an opinion and there are a lot of good units out there. Not sure what brand the Lethal one is so not sure about that. I went through 2 McLoed twin discs, and when I had D&D Performance rebuild my transmission they recommended a RAM. So I did throw the single disc Ram in this spring, but only had around 300 miles on it when I traded the car in, but it felt fine for that short amount of time.

While you are in there, make sure you replace the slave, install a Cobra Jet Pulse Ring, and steel braided clutch line if you haven't already. If you want I still have my lightened McLoed flywheel that I will sell to you super cheap.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Not sure why you have to be hating on me....

Actually, I thought he was complementing you. Kinda gave me the impression that you are a fast driver.

But your right, there are tons of Clutch options out there & replacing the clutch hyd. Iine is a good idea.

Actually, I thought he was complementing you. Kinda gave me the impression that you are a fast driver.

Yea i know was just joking around. I am actually registered in your same class, and who knows if I will be able to run my new car at that time. I may just borrow someone else's so I can run in the same class. Maybe I can see if the new owner will let me rent my old car for the weekend, i still have slicks to throw on too.

whatever you do, you will want the sprung center disc, the solid ones are race only, and engagement is either in or out, I have the sintered bronze in my Gt500, but there are people that prefer the organic. You can get the sintered bronze with a sprung center and I really like it. No matter what you do, I'd do everything in my power to ditch any twin disc clutch, unless maybe you are using a blown dragstrip type application, while some guys get away with using them, it seems like a high preponderance of folks have trouble with them and it's just more stuff to go bad. I don't know if you ever really looked at the design of a clutch but they have sprung/non sprung centers and also a wave spring in most of the organic ones.

zNCNmpWl.jpg

EqKUOBul.jpg

I appreciate all of the input and advice.

From what I've gathered is since I have not experienced any lockout and/or slippage of the clutch it may not need to be replaced yet.

I've never owned a manual transmission car until this one so I believe I am jumping the gun a little too much right now.

TMO Supporting Vendors