The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Replacement Clutch (track-only) & input shaft specs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The clutch went out on me at NJMP, as I was advised by Pete that it eventually would.
...He was right.
No clutch action & had to rev shift the car to get back to the paddock.
I'm thinking about doing a 7.25" "Optimum V Drive" clutch by Quarter Master with their aluminum flywheel and a Ford auto transmission flex plate to match up the gear drive for the starter motor.
- Any opinions on this or better alternatives?
I am not looking for street-able clutches since the car is used for track only.

Also, and importantly, can someone tell me the input shaft diameter and spline count on the M82 in our cars?

Many thanks in advance for any replies.

Lee.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
1" diameter 23T. I wouldn't go with a Quarter Master clutch if the car is street driven much. Small multi plate clutches are easy to glaze or burn up if you do many stop and go take offs. The heat builds up quicker and doesn't get dissipated because there is less mass and surface area with the pressure plate.
I like my McLeod tin disc so far, but exedy and Centriforce make good street/track units as well.
I am very disappointed with the Ford/Valeo clutches, Ford's reputation for driveline strength has really gone down hill in my eyes.
Steve

steveespo said:
1" diameter 23T. I wouldn't go with a Quarter Master clutch if the car is street driven much. Small multi plate clutches are easy to glaze or burn up if you do many stop and go take offs. The heat builds up quicker and doesn't get dissipated because there is less mass and surface area with the pressure plate.
I like my McLeod tin disc so far, but exedy and Centriforce make good street/track units as well.
I am very disappointed with the Ford/Valeo clutches, Ford's reputation for driveline strength has really gone down hill in my eyes.
Steve

Hi Steve,
I do not street drive this car and prefer to get a clutch setup that is track only.
So, for track use, do you have any knowledge of the QM Optimum V Drive in terms of reliability & performance?
- Thanks for posting Steve & all who responded.
Lee.

PPS - Thanks for the specs!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Can't say about the QM clutches but I've seen a few of the smaller triple-discs installed and they certainly look impressive.

I have a McLeod RXT in my car and it works very well; I do know (now) that McLeod also makes a number of race-only clutches with smaller diameter pressure plates & discs, as well as machined-out "flywheels". Might want to call them and ask if you don't go the QM route.

lbp said:
Hi Steve,
I do not street drive this car and prefer to get a clutch setup that is track only.
So, for track use, do you have any knowledge of the QM Optimum V Drive in terms of reliability & performance?
- Thanks for posting Steve & all who responded.
Lee.

PPS - Thanks for the specs!

I have used the QM single disk and the triple. I like the single disk for less parts and works better fo me getting the car on the trailer with out a winch but that is just me. The quality of the QM is excellent.

Quarter Master has recommended a dual plate unit which is good for 600 ft/lbs.
I plan to to cams/CJ Box & tune this winter, but do not expect the power to exceed 600 ft/lb.
& maybe lower the engine with poly mounts, but I'm not too familiar with the requirements of such.
However, I'd be very interested to hear other opinions or experience as to power unit & setup.
As such if a triple disk is called for, now would be the time to do it.
Opinions welcome!!
Thx all.

...Also, anyone have any recommendations for a good tuner?
I have been trying to find a phone number for John Lund.
Anyone have the phone for Lund Racing?
Thx..

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
lbp said:
Quarter Master has recommended a dual plate unit which is good for 600 ft/lbs.
I plan to to cams/CJ Box & tune this winter, but do not expect the power to exceed 600 ft/lb.
& maybe lower the engine with poly mounts, but I'm not too familiar with the requirements of such.
However, I'd be very interested to hear other opinions or experience as to power unit & setup.
As such if a triple disk is called for, now would be the time to do it.
Opinions welcome!!
Thx all.

...Also, anyone have any recommendations for a good tuner?
I have been trying to find a phone number for John Lund.
Anyone have the phone for Lund Racing?
Thx..
Shaun at AED is a great tuner.
I personally love my Centerforce DYAD clutch its good for 1300+ftlbs of torque.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I have the spec stage 1 and although it is excellent for street duty smoothness, it holds 600ft/lbs and with the aluminum flywheel, loses 10lbs rotating mass and revs SOO much faster! ...and it doesn't break the bank either! Get them as a package from my site for $600 shipped! If you want to drop a few more pounds, the spec billet aluminum pressure plate is really trick. Email for a quote if you want to go that route.

TMO Supporting Vendors