The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Replacement Fasteners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Hi,
I read that Ford uses "one time" fasteners for most of the body/suspension and they need to be replaced when removed in some instances. Makes sense.

So is there a site somewhere that makes finding the correct fasteners and buying them easy?

Thanks for any tips.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
tousleyfordparts.com has great diagrams you can use to see what you want, but a note:

The shop manual often notes reuse of some of these fasteners when loc-tite is applied. YMMV, and I recommend reviewing the shop manual before making said decisions. Obviously anything motor or drivetrain related I wouldn't do that, but I have been known to loosen and reuse strut bolts, etc that were marked for one time use and have not seen any issues.

Sesshomurai

Thanks. I reused the panhard bar brace bolts since it wasn't an active component per se, but I'm about to put new rear lower control arms on and figure I might use new hardware for that. I'll check out the site. Thanks.

EDIT: That site is spectacular.

I'm not a huge believer in one time use fasteners. Case in point, my dad has several 100 year old cars still using the original bolts. It's not like he could find NOS parts for everything he does. Loctite is your friend.

Sesshomurai

You mean 100 year old cars that putted along the road at 20mph?!?! I'm sure they don't need new bolts. But that's a hysterical comparison to an asphalt ripping track car.

darreng505 said:
You mean 100 year old cars that putted along the road at 20mph?!?! I'm sure they don't need new bolts. But that's a hysterical comparison to an asphalt ripping track car.

So what exactly "makes sense" about not reusing bolts? How much do you know about the tensile strength of the OEM bolts vs the load they are asked to hold? Do tell.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think this is one of those way overblown on the internet issues.

IF the bolt or nut does not have a torquing process OR does use loctite, there is little proof that it is a TTY fastener.

It also makes no sense to use suspension fasteners in the yield range.

I think that one over used quote from the manual is an error or risk control on Ford's part, and is being parroted by guys who worry too much.

But hey, that's easy to say when *I* don't warrantee your car! ;)

Auto mfg non bolt reuse in 'safety critical applications' is CYA IMO. Rod bolts, main cap studs, bolts, can be reused many times when torqued properly. Been doing it for years. Same with suspension fasteners and never experienced a failure. My cynical side thinks this is a NHTSA conspiracy like NEC code changes that require ridiculous 'improvements' in wiring practices and components all under the auspicious of 'safety.' To each his/her own, I'll take my chances and reuse these fasteners. ;)

rmaginnis said:
Auto mfg non bolt reuse in 'safety critical applications' is CYA IMO. Rod bolts, main cap studs, bolts, can be reused many times when torqued properly. Been doing it for years. Same with suspension fasteners and never experienced a failure. My cynical side thinks this is a NHTSA conspiracy like NEC code changes that require ridiculous 'improvements' in wiring practices and components all under the auspicious of 'safety.' To each his/her own, I'll take my chances and reuse these fasteners. ;)
Yea have reused strut to spindle and caliper bolts always with loctite. I generally replace caliper bolts once a year but I would have reused them 4-5a times at that point. Even then not sure it's necessary.

Sesshomurai

Fat Boss said:
darreng505 said:

So what exactly "makes sense" about not reusing bolts? How much do you know about the tensile strength of the OEM bolts vs the load they are asked to hold? Do tell.

I don't know anything about it, but I trust that Ford engineers do so I just blindly follow their recommendation is all.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Doesn't sound that hilarious to me, what's so funny with someone following instructions/recommendations for peace of mind? ???

Why now? I had a 93 GT, 03 Mach 1, 04 Cobra and I reused everything except when aftermarket parts came with supplyed fasteners. Now Ford says to reuse. I just don't get it.

Sesshomurai

ORANGE CRUSH said:
Why now? I had a 93 GT, 03 Mach 1, 04 Cobra and I reused everything except when aftermarket parts came with supplyed fasteners. Now Ford says to reuse. I just don't get it.

I don't get why the shop manual says to torque some things 84 ft/lbs, some things 24 ft/lbs (not 25 or 85), but I'm no engineer - I just do it.
And for the price of a frickin' bolt, I don't bother questioning everything. Especially since I track the car and really pound on it. Perhaps if you just tool around town, some of the recommendations are extreme, but to each their own!

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
darreng505 said:
ORANGE CRUSH said:

I don't get why the shop manual says to torque some things 84 ft/lbs, some things 24 ft/lbs (not 25 or 85), but I'm no engineer - I just do it.
And for the price of a frickin' bolt, I don't bother questioning everything. Especially since I track the car and really pound on it. Perhaps if you just tool around town, some of the recommendations are extreme, but to each their own!

My guess would be "Metric Conversion"

Metric torque values are in Newton-meters, but since torque wrenches typically call out lb/ft that's what's called out. I saw a sweet Snap On torque wrench yesterday that you set the value by pressing up/down buttons on it. Once you reach the torque value it beeps and vibrates a little. Very nice but the guy said it cost $380.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
darreng505 said:

I wouldn't fault anybody for replacing anything for peace of mind. But I do disagree with the blind faith in the manual...in the way I do not agree with using factory 'recommended' oil weights blindly.

TMO Supporting Vendors