The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Replacement tire time! Opinions and feedback welcome

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Domestic Product said:
No, pull the trigger on the super sports and you will be happy. How is the Boss on track with the bad boy Hoosiers. What size wheels and tires are you running with them there Hoosiers?

I used R6's on my previous 91 Fox coupe and that was fun but that car didn't have enough power (stock bolt on 302) to take advantage of the stickies. However, the Boss is a friggin blast! Ask Rick, he saw me throwing it around Sears Point and it always stuck! Also obviously helps with braking distances. Try 'em you'll like them. I currently use the stock 19" wheels for track duty (staggered) and Laguna Seca wheels for the street. I'm seriously contemplating doing a square setup before I go out again.

cloud9 said:
I need to learn to quit driving with my hair on fire. I get about 3 days (12-15 heat cycles) out of the 555RIIs. Damn P-cars.

When you can cord a set of Hoosiers in 2 track days (10-12 sessions) then you can join my elitist club. :p

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I'm running the Michelin pilot sport A/S 3's and I love them. Highly recommend them if you want a great all season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

straightliner1 said:
I used R6's on my previous 91 Fox coupe and that was fun but that car didn't have enough power (stock bolt on 302) to take advantage of the stickies. However, the Boss is a friggin blast! Ask Rick, he saw me throwing it around Sears Point and it always stuck! Also obviously helps with braking distances. Try 'em you'll like them. I currently use the stock 19" wheels for track duty (staggered) and Laguna Seca wheels for the street. I'm seriously contemplating doing a square setup before I go out again.
Yep you were flying out there on the Hoosiers! Imagine what a set of 315's square will do for your lap times. ;)

I would LOVE to find a set of 19"x11" so I could roll 315's on all corners and rotate them as necessary. Has anyone pulled this off successfully? I know 18's are cheaper but I want to go to a 15" front brake rotor in the future.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
straightliner1 said:
I would LOVE to find a set of 19"x11" so I could roll 315's on all corners and rotate them as necessary. Has anyone pulled this off successfully? I know 18's are cheaper but I want to go to a 15" front brake rotor in the future.

I don't think anyone has done it without fenders or poking out or lots of negative camber. Vorshlag does have a set of F14 18x11s that do not have the same offsets front/rear.

straightliner1 said:
See post #44 for what I did to get better heat dissipation. The Stoptech 15" kit will fit inside a 18" Enkei PF01 but it's very tight so I decided to stick to a 355 rotor that's wider, 35mm vs 32mm stock, for more heat dissipation. You can order this setup with a six piston caliper if you so desire. I'll be installing them tomorrow after lunch so stop by if you want to check them out. Gary runs R6's in the 315/295 rear/front combo and says they're the fastest tire combo he's run.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=6570.0

Regarding 18s, are you guys not concerned about the rear end ratio being affected due to the lower overall tire diameter?
Perhaps you boys who run slicks don't have this problem, but most 18 inch "normal" tires dont come in the right diameters...

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
It's not an issue. It lowers the overall gearing which is a good thing on some tracks and a bad thing on others.

My feeling exactly. If it doesn't cost you an extra shift, lowering your final drive ratio a bit should be a good thing.

Grant 302 said:
My feeling exactly. If it doesn't cost you an extra shift, lowering your final drive ratio a bit should be a good thing.

agreed. except in my case it does cost an extra shift or riding the limiter :(

OK, getting closer to my selection...

Michelin Super sports seem to be the hot ticket. I would like to gain a bit more footprint front and rear. Running Boss S 9" and 10" wide wheels, what can safely fit without rubbing and also not look like a soggy, bloated mini-mart burrito hanging over the rim? Looking for real world feedback here - thanks.

Front
255/40
265/30
265/35
265/40
275/30
275/35
275/40

Rear
285/35
285/40
295/30
295/35
305/30

By the way, Sears seems to have the killer pricing on Super Sports, beating Tire rack, Wal Mart
and America's/Discount Tire by $15-20 per corner. I'll have them price matched elsewhere, but just saying...

Black Boss said:
Yes, running staggered. Got through 2 sets of NT555RII's each set lasted about 5 days or 25 cycles before cording. NT01's have done 4 days and lot's of rubber left -- should be good for 8-10 days. Running 275/40 front 305/35 rear. Would likely go with 275/35's on the front next time, as I got the sense that the fronts were rolling over a bit at the limit. I was marginally faster on the NT01's, and I prefer them on a damp track.

NT01's are now done -- lots of rubber left after 6 days, but after 26 cycles Track times dropped by 2 seconds. NT01's were out of stock so I'm back on NT555RII's for the time being.

I managed to locate a pair of 295 PSS (unicorn) and also a pair of 265s for the front after a diligent search from one of the local shops. Getting installed next weekend - hallelujah!

I wanted to take my original wheels and tires off while they were still like new , so I bought 6 (2 fronts and 4 rears) boss 302s wheels with Mickey Thompson sport comps on one set and for the extra 10" rears I bought a set of the Mickey Thompson ET Street 305/35/19 big and sticky's to swap on when needed.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Straightliner,

Get ahold of Luke at the Tire Rack ( ext #4362 ) and get a set of Kumho Ecsta LE Sports. They are currently $780 for a set and there is a $100 rebate. Just got a set and for on the street they are great and a ton cheaper than the Pirellis. The key is they are fantastic for me, as like you I have a set of dedicated track tires. They ride well , are reasonably quiet and have decent grip -- overall for non track use, $680 plus shipping really fits my budget.

Hope this helps!?

I just got the PSS mounted as well same as the good folks above. Tires are simply amazing. I did get a 40 up front - its a tiny bit taller but fits the well nicely and gives it a MANLY look haha

NFSBOSS said:
So we're clear which if the two is faster and which do you think is the better tire between the two?

They are pretty close, but I am quicker on the NT01's. (e.g. Last weekend I ran the exact same time on NT01's after 21 cycles on Saturday at 42F as brand new heat cycled NT555RII's on Sunday at 54F.....)

I ran the 275/40 up front and have the feeling that the 35's may be even better. Have them (275/35) on order but the 305's are on back order, hence the NT555RII's in the interim.....

The NT01's seem to wear a little better too......

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel