The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Replacement tire time! Opinions and feedback welcome

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have a Shelby but thought I would share my recent experiences with the whole tire thing since the cars are similar.. For 2 months I stewed over which brand, what size, different wheels, etc, etc. I just wanted to some traction but wasn't interested in making any mods for clearance.

I finally decided Michelin Pilot Super Sports was the way to go for me. I ordered a pair of 295/35/20's thinking they would fit my stock 9.5" wheels. According to Michelins specs, the 295's were supposed to have an 11.6 section width. Shortly after placing the order I read a thread that said Michelins are now running bigger than they used too. Undaunted, I left the order alone but when the tires arrived last week I discovered that 11.6 section width was really 12.375... When I measured across the bead of the tire it was 10.5" and attempting to sqeeze it down to the OEM rim size of 9.5 it really seemed to contort the tire too much in my opinion so now I am going to get some 10.5" wheels.

Anyway, you guys with 10" LS wheels should be fine but if your plan is to put 295 Michelins on 9.5 wheels you may want to reconsider. FWIW, I understand Nittos run small and folks are putting 305's and even 315's on 9.5's. Below is a pic showing the difference in a 285 Goodyear and a 295 Michelin.
misctirecarbshelbyscj070_zps3a0f49b8.jpg

blk12svt said:
I have a Shelby but thought I would share my recent experiences with the whole tire thing since the cars are similar.. For 2 months I stewed over which brand, what size, different wheels, etc, etc. I just wanted to some traction but wasn't interested in making any mods for clearance.

I finally decided Michelin Pilot Super Sports was the way to go for me. I ordered a pair of 295/35/20's thinking they would fit my stock 9.5" wheels. According to Michelins specs, the 295's were supposed to have an 11.6 section width. Shortly after placing the order I read a thread that said Michelins are now running bigger than they used too. Undaunted, I left the order alone but when the tires arrived last week I discovered that 11.6 section width was really 12.375... When I measured across the bead of the tire it was 10.5" and attempting to sqeeze it down to the OEM rim size of 9.5 it really seemed to contort the tire too much in my opinion so now I am going to get some 10.5" wheels.

Anyway, you guys with 10" LS wheels should be fine but if your plan is to put 295 Michelins on 9.5 wheels you may want to reconsider. FWIW, I understand Nittos run small and folks are putting 305's and even 315's on 9.5's. Below is a pic showing the difference in a 285 Goodyear and a 295 Michelin.
misctirecarbshelbyscj070_zps3a0f49b8.jpg
I need two rears, but just put new front 255/40/19 PZeros on late last summer. I'm assuming the PSS in a 285/35/19 would match up fine with the Pirellis in front? I have the 19 x 10 302S rim in the rear. Looks like the treadwear on the PSS is 300 vs 220 on the PZero but maybe grip is similar? Price is much better though. Thoughts?

Bob said:
+1 for PSS. I use them for street and track days, seem to be a good tire... and they are wearing well.

It's worth noting that they come with a 30,000 mile guarantee if you run square. Since I'm sure that I won't make it to 30k... I am looking forward to a nice discount on my next set. Discount tire is pretty good about prorating the tires as long as they are worn uniformly.

Only if you run square? Why is that?

I was told the Discount/America's tire warranty covered the tire itself against premature wear regardless of stagger or square, as long as the wear was flat across the contact patch. I went so far as to say "what about burnouts?" "Yep, covered" was the reply.

While they may start pushing back if you're in there every 3 months, but it's nice to hear they'll stand behind their own product (warranty).

straightliner1 said:
I was told the Discount/America's tire warranty covered the tire itself against premature wear regardless of stagger or square, as long as the wear was flat across the contact patch. I went so far as to say "what about burnouts?" "Yep, covered" was the reply.

While they may start pushing back if you're in there every 3 months, but it's nice to hear they'll stand behind their own product (warranty).

Are you saying that the tire manufacturer's warranty does not cover premature wear if the setup is staggered? Is this the case even with cars like ours which are a staggered setup from the factory?

cloud9,
I can't speak about the wear factor or fit compatibilty question with the front tires but according to everything I've read on the Shelby forums the Michelin Pilot Super Sports hook just as good as drag radials plus they work in the rain, where the drag radials don't. Good luck!!

GottaBoss said:
Are you saying that the tire manufacturer's warranty does not cover premature wear if the setup is staggered? Is this the case even with cars like ours which are a staggered setup from the factory?

Not insinuating anything on Michelin or other manufacturer's behalf. Simply going by what the sales guy said at Discount tire. Their extra warranty will cover excessive tread wear, so long as it's across the entire tire, not simply worn shoulders. I went so far to ask about burnouts. "Yep, covered" was his reply. I will ask for details when I have the tires installed Friday.

I picked up my PSS today. Money well spent.
Just in the 3 mile drive home I can already tell these are FAR grippier than the former Pirellis they replaced. Highly recommended!

Special thanks to the guys at America's tire in West Sacramento for putting up with my gazillion questions.

TMO Supporting Vendors