The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Replacement tire time! Opinions and feedback welcome

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just passed 21K miles in my '13 (commuting sucks). Time for some new shoes for the Smurf! I am not very fond of the stock Pirellis. Slick as glass in sub-45* weather. I run Hoosier R6's for the track BTW, so no need to pull double duty with the new shoes.

I'm currently eyeing the Michelin Super Sports in a +1 fitment (one step up, 10 MM wider) front and rear. What's everyone's take on these? Any other highly recommended tires?

I have the PSS in the 265/35 and 295/30 sizes and like them a lot. Way better than the stock Pirellis. If it ever rains again they should be terrific for you. When mine wear out I'll look hard at the new Yokohama AD08 R's. They should be better in the dry and I don't typically drive mine in the rain.

Is that you I see on 99 South in late afternoon? I've seen a GB Boss a couple of times heading towards Natomas as I'm heading towards Roseville. If thought it might be you.

I'm looking to get 18s sometime but gonna need new rears soon. I have way to much fun. Lol
Been looking at the Nitto invos in stock size for the rear for now. Good price and seem to have good reviews.

NFSBOSS said:
Is that you I see on 99 South in late afternoon? I've seen a GB Boss a couple of times heading towards Natomas as I'm heading towards Roseville. If thought it might be you.

I'm usually on I80 as my work takes me up to Auburn and and Roseville, sometimes Jackson, Latrobe road from ElDorado Hills to 16 is FUN! Very rarely if ever am I on 99. Thank you Rick for the feedback on the PSS's and Yokos.

Fiddler49 said:
Staying with stock wheels? I'm considering dropping down to 18" & slightly taller profile (stock tire diameter), for a bit better streetability.

I'm running the staggered Laguna wheels. Eventually when I win the lottery I want to get a dedicated set of 10" wide wheels for track duty. Kills me to use the stockers, even if they're butt-ugly! Not sure if I want to go down in diameter as I'm eyeing a brake rotor upsize in the not- too-distant future.

Thanks all for the feedback, keep them coming!

We should really make a sticky, there must be close to 10 threads for tires now :)

My picks for street use and beginner HPDE based on price/performance ratio (IMHO)

MT Street Comp (made in stock sizes for us)
BFG Sport Comp 2 (felt great at the last AutoX last summer, rumored to be very similar compound to PSS IIRC)
NT555R (they seem to perform great for some guys I know with F-bodes in AutoX, not sure about on track. not cheap)
Ventus V12 Evo (will chunk on a track, multiple sources on that info. Great for DD and rain)

There seem to be 2 ways to go up 10mm on the PSSs:
265/40ZR19 front 295/35ZR19 rear
265/35ZR19 front 295/30ZR19 rear
I run the 1st option, which increases total diameter by 1%. The 2nd option decreases total diameter by about 3%. The OEM sizes are now made by Michelin (the rears were not made last year at this time), but there isn't a single pair of the 285/35s available in the US until the 1st of March, according to Michelin :mad:. As to the set I have destroyed and am replacing tomorrow, they have been great in both wet and dry conditions, with more grip than the Pirellis. They also lasted longer (14K miles and 7 track days vs. 11K miles and 6 track days) and their performance deteriorated more slowly than the P Zeros. Btw, I have 25,000 miles on my car; Ford built 'em to drive!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Sport Comp 2s or PSS are great tires, especially if your Boss will see any rain.

For dry only on the street, I'd have a tendency to still want a tire with decent grip. If they weren't being updated, I'd go with the R-S3s again or try the Direzza ZIIs.

I've run the PSS 295/30R19 and 265/35R19 as a street and wet track tire with great results. Using NT01's in the dry, which were an improvement in wear with no loss in grip versus the NT555RII's -- which were very good. Plan on trying Conti's this season.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
straightliner1 said:
I just passed 21K miles in my '13 (commuting sucks). Time for some new shoes for the Smurf! I am not very fond of the stock Pirellis. Slick as glass in sub-45* weather. I run Hoosier R6's for the track BTW, so no need to pull double duty with the new shoes.

I'm currently eyeing the Michelin Super Sports in a +1 fitment (one step up, 10 MM wider) front and rear. What's everyone's take on these? Any other highly recommended tires?

No, pull the trigger on the super sports and you will be happy. How is the Boss on track with the bad boy Hoosiers. What size wheels and tires are you running with them there Hoosiers?

+1 for PSS. I use them for street and track days, seem to be a good tire... and they are wearing well.

It's worth noting that they come with a 30,000 mile guarantee if you run square. Since I'm sure that I won't make it to 30k... I am looking forward to a nice discount on my next set. Discount tire is pretty good about prorating the tires as long as they are worn uniformly.

Black Boss said:
Using NT01's in the dry, which were an improvement in wear with no loss in grip versus the NT555RII's -- which were very good. Plan on trying Conti's this season.
That's good to hear and basically what the Nitto rep told me at SEMA. I'll be running the NT01's in 2014. How many track days did you get out of them and are you using the 275/305 staggered sizes?

WinterSucks said:
We should really make a sticky, there must be close to 10 threads for tires now :)
The problem with a tire sticky is they constantly change and everyone has different objectives and budgets. Plus the search feature works really well with this software.

NFSBOSS said:
That's good to hear and basically what the Nitto rep told me at SEMA. I'll be running the NT01's in 2014. How many track days did you get out of them and are you using the 275/305 staggered sizes?
Yes, running staggered. Got through 2 sets of NT555RII's each set lasted about 5 days or 25 cycles before cording. NT01's have done 4 days and lot's of rubber left -- should be good for 8-10 days. Running 275/40 front 305/35 rear. Would likely go with 275/35's on the front next time, as I got the sense that the fronts were rolling over a bit at the limit. I was marginally faster on the NT01's, and I prefer them on a damp track.

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Black Boss said:
Yes, running staggered. Got through 2 sets of NT555RII's each set lasted about 5 days or 25 cycles before cording. NT01's have done 4 days and lot's of rubber left -- should be good for 8-10 days. Running 275/40 front 305/35 rear. Would likely go with 275/35's on the front next time, as I got the sense that the fronts were rolling over a bit at the limit. I was marginally faster on the NT01's, and I prefer them on a damp track.

How did you do the initial heat cycle? My plan is to run them for about 15 minutes and then let them cure for 24 hours. I have a new set I will be using for the first time in two weeks at Chuckwalla and I want to do it right

Black Boss said:
I need to learn to quit driving with my hair on fire. I get about 3 days (12-15 heat cycles) out of the 555RIIs. Damn P-cars.

Tucson302 said:
How did you do the initial heat cycle? My plan is to run them for about 15 minutes and then let them cure for 24 hours. I have a new set I will be using for the first time in two weeks at Chuckwalla and I want to do it right

I got them heat cycled by Discount Tire before delivery, and switched Left/Right after 3 days -- Left Front takes most of the abuse, and although these tires are directional, there's no tread left at that point so it's not an issue. My guess is that bought me another day, although the fronts corded, the rears were getting greasy and starting to lose traction

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel