The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Replacing OEM Lug Nuts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With changing street to track wheels the factory lug nut sheet metal caps are distorted to where socket constantly gets stuck. Replacement factory nuts will have the same issue after just a couple of removals I looked at aftermarket ones but the shoulder angle isn't the same. Any suggestions?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Check out the OP Mustang site. I bought lug nuts from Tim for my Boss and GT350. They are 3/4 inch outside so you use a smaller socket leaving more room between the socket and wheel. The nuts are coated with a lubricant like coating which allows for less torque when tightening. Their customer service is superb. Even when you write and call about an issue, they patiently explain the solution, even when I made the mistake. Good people, good products.

In the V6L
With changing street to track wheels the factory lug nut sheet metal caps are distorted to where socket constantly gets stuck. Replacement factory nuts will have the same issue after just a couple of removals I looked at aftermarket ones but the shoulder angle isn't the same. Any suggestions?
Don't use an impact driver on them and they'll last just fine. I lift the car (or the corner) just enough to take the weight, but leave enough load on the tire that I can use a breaker bar to loosen the lug nuts without the wheel turning. Then, when the car is in the air, I spin the loose nuts off with an impact gun. Because they're already loose, the impact gun doesn't hammer them. I put the new wheel on and spin the nuts back on to where the gun wants to start hammering and leave them there. Then I lower the car part way again so that the wheels won't slip and tighten the nuts with a torque wrench. That's it. Those thin stainless steel lug nut covers will last forever.

Op lugs saved my butt with my new rims.....i have a 1/2’’ cordless impact i use to remove the lugs, but when i put them back on i just slowly put them on until it stops before first click. Then i put the car down and use the torque wrench to 140lbs

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Those factory nuts are crap. I think there might a class action suit against Ford going on actually. I know it was a hot topic on the Focus RS forum but I didn't follow up on it lately. They swell up and also de laminate and the coating will come loose. They are junk IMHO.

Last edited:
Dave, not sure if you have an S197 or S550 but:
1/2" Lug Nuts HERE

half inch 20.jpg

Apex3V

Heel-n-Toe Enthusiast
Factory ford lugs are possibly the worst designed lug’s for longevity next to the Mercedes starfish studs. Across the board the 05-17ish era of ford vehicles had huge issues with lug nuts swelling and becoming very hard to get off with a standard socket. imo any lug nut that isn’t oem will be worlds better.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
These crappy lug nuts have been around a long time, GM had them on trucks in the 80's. Had many come thru the shop, a few were really a pain to get off.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
The 14mm are for upgraded hubs, S197's came with 1/2" - 20 thread pitch studs.
Some people are upgrading their hubs to the 2015 and newer hub that uses a 14mm stud, stronger stud and hubs supposedly has bigger wheel bearings to boot.
So if you haven't changed out your hubs you have 1/2" studs and you need the 1/2 lugs nuts.
When you order them you choose the quantity you want and you have a choice of colors, IMSA Yellow - Qty 20 ( SKU: 12INB-20Y ) or Satin Black - Qty 20 ( SKU: 12INB-20 ).

TMO Supporting Vendors