The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Replacing suspension fasteners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin
I'm going to be installing the FP lowering springs on my GT350. I previously installed the R-springs and did not replace any of the bolts. I figure since this will be the second time having everything apart, I should replace them. Does anyone know off hand which bolts are critical to replace? All of them? I noticed that FP sells a fastener kit for their handling pack but it's only listed as compatible with the GT and Ecoboost (M-FR3-FASTENA). Not sure if it would be worth using that and then adjusting for the GT350 specific bolts. (I'm not even sure which ones will be different)

Any advice? Should I even worry about replacing them?

In the V6L
None of the bolts are torque-to-yield, so you can use them as many times as you want. The "replace" instruction has to do with the thread locker that they're made with. If you use Loctite on them when you reassemble your suspension, you're good to go. Personally, I use them over and over and just make sure they're tightened to the torque spec. But then, I have mine apart a couple of times a year, and that's not the same as making sure it's going to be safe for the next decade, which is the Ford objective.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
If money is no object, go ahead and replace them all. These fasteners may not necessarily stretch but fatigue and vibration can affect intended performance. JAJ is correct that reapplying a thread locker and torquing properly reused bolts is wise. I almost always use new fasteners but that the business I'm in. Another thing to consider is the reuse of nylon insert locknuts. These do not have a unlimited life and most manufacturers figure two-to-three uses before the locking element losing it's effectiveness.

Yes, replace them. This is what Ford recommends ands it’s so cheap, why bother?
Torque to yeild aside, all bolts stretch, that’s how they create and hold tension.

Even reusable bolts have to be checked for stretch to confirm they are in spec.

Let’s say you take aparts your suspension twice a year and every bolt that Ford instructs you to replace is swapped out for a new one each time. The cost is about $200 bucks a year. It doesn’t move the needle financialy. If you have a failure do to a fastener that was reused and not replaced, you won’t be sitting there going, “yeah this sucks, but I saved a couple of hundred bucks”.

Ford recommends these to be replaced to cover thier asses because there is risk and liability there. It’s not because they want to “get you” . They eat the cost of them during warranty repairs without instructions to reapply locktite on most of the suspension pieces.

This is my long winded way of saying that you are assuming risk by reusing them. Just my $.02

Austin
Thanks guys. I don't mind buying them for peace of mind if nothing else. I just wish Ford made it a little easier by bundling them together. As it is, I guess I'll have to go make a list of which ones I'll be using for the spring install. That is unless someone else has already made one. :)

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Thanks guys. I don't mind buying them for peace of mind if nothing else. I just wish Ford made it a little easier by bundling them together. As it is, I guess I'll have to go make a list of which ones I'll be using for the spring install. That is unless someone else has already made one. :)

They do. Look up M-FR3-FASTENA. That's the hardware kit for the FR3 track suspension install, I have one sitting in my garage. One hundred and sixty seven US bucks is what it lists at.

Austin
They do. Look up M-FR3-FASTENA. That's the hardware kit for the FR3 track suspension install, I have one sitting in my garage. One hundred and sixty seven US bucks is what it lists at.
Right, I mentioned that one in the original post but I wasn't sure how much difference there is between that and GT350 since the Shelby isn't listed as compatible. I'm hoping at most it's just a couple bolts difference

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors