The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Report of New Ford TSB Issued in December for B302 Shift Lockout Problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Over on the other B302 forum, a member posted today about having a dealer technician drive his Boss 302 under hard acceleration and experience the 2-3 shift lockout problem. The tech apparently discovered that Ford issued a new TSB for an updated shifter, part #CR3Z-7910-A, apparently with increased lateral spacing between gears. No TSB number is mentioned.

Anybody else hear or know anything about this? I'm checking with my dealer's service manager...

Interesting. Can you find the TSB number?

The only Mustang TBS issued in December was TSB 12-12-8 for "2013 Mustang Check Engine Light Illuminated-DTCs P0300/P0301/P0302/P0303/P0304/ P0305/P0306/P0307/P0308 - No Driveability Symptoms-Built On Or Before 11/30/2012". I see nothing else.

This tells me the shifting issue is a closed case in eyes of Ford:

Ford addressed the clutch stay-out issue by pointing out that it generally only occurs at higher speeds and engine rpm above 4,000 but most importantly – it does not directly prevent the selection of a gear – it just slows down the shifting process. The clutch stay-out essentially fixes itself once the engine rpms drop below 4,000 so once the engine speed drops, the driver will be able to engage the desired gear. However, Ford found that some of the clutch components as being at fault for this and they addressed the problem in TSB 10-19-4. This allowed for new replacement clutch pedal parts that should prevent stay-out issues.

A handful of 2011 and 2013 Ford Mustang GT or Boss 302 owners also complained of excessive gear clash or grinding noises when shifting. Ford stated that this was caused by aggressive shifting which in turn caused the clutch plate fasteners to work their way loose. This problem is introduced to the driver by a change in shift quality and the feel of the shifting process but like the other issues above, clutch plate fasteners working loose will not prevent gear selection unless the driver literally ignores the noises and grinding until the clutch plate fasteners fall out. Ford implemented a new design to the clutch plate fastener bolts on newer models and for those having issues with older models, the Motor Company issued a special service statement that should fix the problem. However, since this problem is gradual and doesn’t cause any immediate drivability problems – Ford has shown that a recall isn’t needed.

The final line in the statement from the NHTSA reads: There is no indication of loss of motive power or unreasonable safety risk associated with the alleged defect in the subject vehicles. This preliminary evaluation is closed.

Unfortunately for angry owners of 2011 and 2012 Ford Mustang GT and Boss 302 models, the announcement by Ford and the NHTSA’s closing of the investigation haven’t solved their problems but with such a small minority of owners experiencing issues and none of them posing any safety risks – it is no surprise that the NHTSA closed the file without requiring a further action after Ford issued TSBs to address the majority of the complainants issues.

jmbboss302 said:
The only Mustang TBS issued in December was TSB 12-12-8 for "2013 Mustang Check Engine Light Illuminated-DTCs P0300/P0301/P0302/P0303/P0304/ P0305/P0306/P0307/P0308 - No Driveability Symptoms-Built On Or Before 11/30/2012". I see nothing else.

Thanks. I checked with the service manger at my dealer late this afternoon and got the same answer. Not sure what the poster on the boss302forum is talking about. He still hasn't provided a TSB number. What about that CR3Z-7910-A part number?

Scott said:
...Ford addressed the clutch stay-out issue by pointing out that it generally only occurs at higher speeds and engine rpm above 4,000 but most importantly – it does not directly prevent the selection of a gear – it just slows down the shifting process. The clutch stay-out essentially fixes itself once the engine rpms drop below 4,000 so once the engine speed drops, the driver will be able to engage the desired gear. However, Ford found that some of the clutch components as being at fault for this and they addressed the problem in TSB 10-19-4. This allowed for new replacement clutch pedal parts that should prevent stay-out issues...

Is this the stuck clutch pedal problem we have been experiencing at high RPM in the boss?

I have to wonder if it is all in the way they use the rods for shifting those rods can be bound up at times if not done right and I doubt they used any type of bearing for them to ride in. The fix= tremmec magnum conversion

Sesshomurai

jeepinocala said:
I have to wonder if it is all in the way they use the rods for shifting those rods can be bound up at times if not done right and I doubt they used any type of bearing for them to ride in. The fix= tremmec magnum conversion

Has anyone done the magnum conversion trans? Its on my list.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If you get that trans, you're going to have to go to a 4.10 or 4.30 rear gear to keep your ratios liveable (or comparable to the MT82), and with either ratio set in the Magnum, that means you're out of 4th gear (1:1) around 130mph. For anyone that's had a 05-09 S197 on-tracks where you can hit 150+, you know how much this sucks.

The MT82 may not be the most robust transmission out there but the ratios are great for road racing. And before you go there yes I am aware of the transmission selections for the 302S and 302R.

TMO Supporting Vendors