The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

resale value Boss vs GT 350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am new to this forum so I apologize if this topic has been covered. Own a 2012 Boss and thinking about ordering a 2016 GT 350 Model. Dealer wants my decision this weekend for an Oct delivery. My question is this: Which potentially has better resale a 2012 Boss or the 2016 GT 350. Goes without saying the 137 2015's being built will command dollars in the future. Not so sure about the 2016 models with 5000 being built in year one. Supply and demand basics suggest the Boss's value may have and edge. Thoughts anyone? Thx in advance

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think the GT 350s will come out higher in the long run, even with the higher production numbers. Rs will always command more than LSs and GT350s more than street Bosses. But a clean Boss down the road may sell for more than a well used GT350 at times.

Good luck deciding!

bcass57 said:
I am new to this forum so I apologize if this topic has been covered. Own a 2012 Boss and thinking about ordering a 2016 GT 350 Model. Dealer wants my decision this weekend for an Oct delivery. My question is this: Which potentially has better resale a 2012 Boss or the 2016 GT 350. Goes without saying the 137 2015's being built will command dollars in the future. Not so sure about the 2016 models with 5000 being built in year one. Supply and demand basics suggest the Boss's value may have and edge. Thoughts anyone? Thx in advance

I think they'll end up being similar, on a percent-of-new basis, given what we think know about gt350 production numbers.

re: your decision, it's not clear to me why a dealer would need your decision this weekend and I'm pretty certain that they have no visibility on when it will be built / delivered.

I think the GT350 will do fine and hold it's value well relative to other Mustangs similar to the Boss 302 and GT500. The thing that seems to dictate what Mustangs are collectible in the future is the engine and the GT350 is going to have one heck of an engine under the hood. 8)

If you are really worried about making an automotive investment, neither the 2012-13 Boss nor a new GT350 are a good idea. The Boss has a long way to fall before it starts appreciating. The GT350 is a totally unknown quantity at this point. GM sold a lot of the new Z/28 to people who were looking to score, but it certainly hasn't worked out for those folks, especially since there were dealers at the end of 2014 selling for $15K off sticker.

Very, very few cars appreciate right off the showroom floor. It takes a few years to establish which way things will go. In the Mustang world, you had a lot of Cobra owners from the 2000's thinking they would make money, then you had the Mach I people thinking they would make money, then you had the Bullitt people, then the GT500 people, and now the Boss owners. The GT350 owners will think they will make money, too. Doubtful.

The only car I know of with a ballpark price near a Boss that has actually made money right off the showroom floor the past few years was the BMW 1M. They announced the car, built the car, then killed it before most people knew it existed.

Can anyone think of any others? The Pontiac Solstice Coupe made a few people a small amount, but that was a special case.

Then there is the conundrum that most cars that appreciate are very rare and have special parts that are also very rare, making them very expensive to fix once the manufacturer quits selling the parts. The Boss will have that problem, but a lot of things are standard Mustang and will be available forever. Be careful what you wish for - rare = painfully expensive to fix.

The car I sold to buy my 2013 Boss was a 1969 AMX survivor, 100% stock and in awesome condition. I just couldn't enjoy the car, because about 3/4 of the parts for an AMX are either completely unobtainable, or so ridiculously expensive they might as well be unobtainable. Look up the prices for common genuine parts on an AMX today, like a NOS taillight or a fender or a door. It is crazy. A company finally started making repro parts for some of these items, but a lot of parts are still simply not to be found. The last genuine AMX hood I saw for sale was a hammered out repair hood and was $3000.

BTW, if you want some free advice about cars that are about to appreciate, I'll give you some, and if it doesn't work out, I'll give you a full refund:

1) 2010 Solstice Coupe, GXP manual transmission, if you can get it for under $30K.
2) Plymouth Prowler, if you can get it for under $30K.
3) Chevy SSR Pickup Truck, if you can get it for under $28K and only the 6.0L manual models
4) Pontiac G8 GXP, great shape, under $25K. This one shocks me. Some are going for mid-30s with low miles. A 2014-5 Chevy SS is a BETTER version of the same exact car, and they can't give them away for low-$40's but people are paying $35K for a six year old Pontiac version? I actually saw a Chevy SS the other day, and it was pretty cool. I'd love to have a 6-speed version. Apparently they already quit making the SS, and total production is under 4500. I can't imagine there were more than 1000 6-speeds made. If you want a brand new, rare car that will appreciate *eventually* like in 25 years, there you go.
5) Cadillac CTS-V Station Wagon - good luck finding one.
6) This is my stretch guess, but the Toyota FJ Cruiser has a huge following. They made a lot of them, but heck, look at the prices of the original FJ's.
7) Honda S2000 - already rising, as is the NSX. You might have missed the boat on these.

Other vehicles that I'm sure will appreciate *eventually* are the Ford Raptor pickup, the Porsche Cayman R and GTS, either Hellcat model, the 2014-15 Z/28 if you get it for under $50K, Camaro SS 1LE, and yes, the Boss 302, especially the LS models.

Editing to add a few that were under my radar. Early 2000's Vipers can be had for mid-30s, and older ones have apparently dropped into the 20's. They shouldn't go much lower. And I've seen early 2000's Z06 Corvettes in the very low-20's. Those are really well-balanced cars and the "Z06" name will prop up the prices.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel