The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

RESOLVED - Bane of My Existence - Coolant Pump Seal/Timing Cover Gasket HELP!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What started as a water pump repair has turned into a lot, lot more…

958A6582-4526-4A9F-A406-55059C466EFE.jpeg
Water pump was easy to remove and I had all the parts to fix it this past Sunday. Fast forward 3 days and I’m in neck deep into a coolant pump seal repair or as everywhere else calls it, a “ford gasket”. Nothing at all I could find on replacing this seal.
8D51EFCC-1844-4045-A601-884353CE37F0.jpeg094121B4-00FA-4908-B1D3-BD71274D7672.jpeg
As far as I can tell from the research I’ve done (trust me, there’s not much if any) the only way of installing this properly is pressing in from the rear. I’ve done that, (twice) and each time when I go to put the timing cover back on, this happens:
DB1064D2-5612-4838-9282-D6071FC86AC9.jpeg

Ripped, clean in two. I am using a Fel-pro branded gasket. The tear happens when sliding the timing cover back on the the front of the engine. What force there is causes the seal to literally just rip off. Without much effort really. It doesn’t slide on the tube very easily.

Has anyone done this repair? And if so, what have you done to put this back on?

I’ve ordered a couple of OEM gaskets that I hope will fix the tearing problem but that won’t be here till the end of this week. The valve covers are off because at 132k miles I figured I would replace gaskets and know that everything is in good order. So everything good there.

Help and guidance needed!!

Are you lubricating the seal prior to trying to slip it over the tube?
Good Question. The first time, no. Total blunder on my parts. So after buying a whole new kit to get that seal I made sure the second time everything was lined up before trying again and it still ripped.
The seal itself has a metal band around the front and back edge. The only thing I could think was that the non ford part was just a little too small and the metal band isn’t allowing it to stretch on to the pipe. But, again, I could be doing something wrong.

I’ll check that video out. Haven’t seen it yet.

The problem has been fixed. The solution?

BUY FORD GASKETS!

I went to my local Ford dealership and bought two of the gaskets I was needing. Went back and went through the same exact process, only difference being that I was using the OEM unit and not the aftermarket unit by Fel-Pro.

Slipped right on without a hitch. Part number is BR3Z-6020-A.
Hopefully this will help someone in the future that finds out that an aftermarket gasket for the coolant pump won’t work. At least with my experience.
B68581D3-D163-4206-A315-D9C541ECD71C.jpeg
41B12549-9E88-4776-84F5-01D7EFDE460D.jpeg
D1A3A62F-692E-4408-B49B-AEE0301C71E4.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors