The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Resonators?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please forgive the noob if this is common knowledge amongst the GT350 community. I've read a few posts here and there about people removing some resonators and I read in an article that the R's don't have them.

Can someone give me the highlights? Is it easy to do, us it just for more sound, does it affect the tune or ability to pass emissions, etc.?

I'm all for loud. I removed the side plates on my Boss and swapped exhaust to Ataks.

That's correct. It's for sound not for emissions compliance. I've heard of TMO members having them removed from local muffler shops for as little as $100. To do it properly you need to remove the mid pipes and reattach the heat shields. I'm going to have mine removed soon and will take my car to AED and have them do it. Drew, one of the owners, is extremely meticioulous with his work and while it will cost me more than $100 I know it will be done perfectly!

@50Deep

It's just for sound and almost any muffler shop should be able to do it for you. I did mine on Day 3 of ownership and never looked back. The car sounds so much better now. So much more "raw". It makes almost no difference in Normal mode but when you put it in Sport and you hear all the pops and crackles you'll be giggling like a school girl every time. Also, cold starts in the garage will wake up your neighborhood.

It's as much of a must do as removing the discs on the side pipes of the Boss. I went to Midas where the son's owner had a new Focus ST and was a big enthusiast. Cost me $250 but he did it right. I'd recommend they use stainless pipes so they may have to order the material in advance.

cloud9 said:
It's as much of a must do as removing the discs on the side pipes of the Boss. I went to Midas where the son's owner had a new Focus ST and was a big enthusiast. Cost me $250 but he did it right. I'd recommend they use stainless pipes so they may have to order the material in advance.

Yep. Was the first thing I did on the Boss. So it sounds like they have to remove a part and weld in a replacement straight pipe correct? Shouldn't affect emissions? I loved the snap, crackle, pop on my Boss.

Thanks for the education fellas.

Darth Boss said:
Yep. Was the first thing I did on the Boss. So it sounds like they have to remove a part and weld in a replacement straight pipe correct? Shouldn't affect emissions? I loved the snap, crackle, pop on my Boss.

Thanks for the education fellas.
They are post cats so no effect on emissions. You are basically just replicating the R exhaust.

Thanks. Looks like I see kits being sold online. Better to buy one of these or have a muffler shop make them.

There are no bolt on kits, from the x-pipe back its all one welded assembly so any kit would at least require cutting or replacement of the entire cat-back.

I left the heatshields off mine, I assumed they were there since the resonators are larger in diameter and would have more thermal mass.

Yeah, I misread the search results. Kits were for other mustangs. I'll have to do some research on some reputable muffler shops in the Atlanta area.

voodoo child21 said:
What size is the OEM GT 350 catback? Wonder if a full 3" catback gains any thing on the Voodoo?
Race to 3000 is on today.
Steve
I'm sure there are some gains but I think the stock system is close to 3". Seems like the Borla had a 14 HP gain. I'm going to remove the resonators and call it a day on this. I'm trying to mod this car as little as possible. ::)

I'm thinking of doing the RES delete in the spring but noise restrictions at local track got an R expelled last fall while I was OK.

I would like to do a reversible setup and was wondering what you guys think. I found these clamps in 2,75" diameter. Would it be possible to just cut out the resonators, get an equal lenght 2,75" SS tubing and hold it in place with clamps. I've read the diameter is not the same close to the X-pipes. Could this change in diameter prevent the clamp to get a tight fit?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-75-V-Band-Clamp-Stainless-2-3-4-Exhaust-Flange-Kit-vband-MALE-FEMALE-DESIGN-/251656418422

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/vpe-1176/overview/

2nd option would be a lot simpler and cheaper! It could almost be a DIY project with a good metal saw and patience...

kart125 said:
I'm thinking of doing the RES delete in the spring but noise restrictions at local track got an R expelled last fall while I was OK.

I would like to do a reversible setup and was wondering what you guys think. I found these clamps in 2,75" diameter. Would it be possible to just cut out the resonators, get an equal lenght 2,75" SS tubing and hold it in place with clamps. I've read the diameter is not the same close to the X-pipes. Could this change in diameter prevent the clamp to get a tight fit?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-75-V-Band-Clamp-Stainless-2-3-4-Exhaust-Flange-Kit-vband-MALE-FEMALE-DESIGN-/251656418422

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/vpe-1176/overview/

2nd option would be a lot simpler and cheaper! It could almost be a DIY project with a good metal saw and patience...
That might work. What level of sound limits do you have at your local tracks?

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel