The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Restraint Harness Recommendations?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

All,

Looking to install a restraint harness for an upcoming track weekend. Any recommendations? What about mounting hardware (want to keep the factory restraints intact)? Is a shoulder harness guide bar necessary? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

drano38

Wayne
I've got over 1,600 track miles on mine, and still use the factory restraint system.
I either slide the seat 2 notches back from normal, or angle the seat back a couple notches, then I pull the seat belt tight across my lap, rapidly yank the upper belt to make it lock, then move the seat forward/tilt the seat back forward to its normal position. Now the belt is snug and can't unlock which holds me in the seat pretty well.
I haven't decided if moving the seat, or the seat back is easiest. Either one works pretty well.
Not as good as a race seat/roll bar/6 or 5 point harness, but no extra cost either.

Here's a nice setup.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/corbeau-harness-bar-0512.html?utm_content=corbeau-harness-bar-0512&utm_campaign=ShopzillaFullFitment&utm_source=Shopzilla&utm_medium=Shopping&AMID=corbeau-harness-bar-0512-2011-V6

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_Harness2Seat.shtml

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_ClipSet2Seat.shtml

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I use the Schroth 6 pt harnesses with a Corbeau harness bar and the Cooltech floor clips for the 'under the butt' harness lines. Works great, pro quality.

98RedGT

2012 #552
does ClipSet2Seat make it so that you can install the 6 point harness without having the harness bar?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
4dRacer said:
does ClipSet2Seat make it so that you can install the 6 point harness without having the harness bar?

Not familiar with them. Schroth makes 'quick fit' harnesses for Audi/VW/BMW that use the mount points from the rear seats instead of mounting to a harness bar. Don't know if they make them for Ford. That solution is not very safe and some clubs do not allow their use.

dabossinne said:
All,

Looking to install a restraint harness for an upcoming track weekend. Any recommendations? What about mounting hardware (want to keep the factory restraints intact)? Is a shoulder harness guide bar necessary? Thanks in advance for the feedback!

If you are goin’ out for your first event and don't want to get into all the equipment probably the best bang for the buck is the CG-Lock.

After a few events then make the discussion to jump in..........

It's used by many guys/gals and has been around for years............

http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Boss_302 said:
dabossinne said:
All,

If you are goin’ out for your first event and don't want to get into all the equipment probably the best bang for the buck is the CG-Lock.

After a few events then make the discussion to jump in..........

It's used by many guys/gals and has been around for years............

http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

+1 - Good suggestion if you're not ready to 'jump into the pool' yet ;D Just keep in mind that many beginners (assuming you are one) start their spending on car mods to make them faster (either engine or suspension). In our club we stress directing your funds initially to safety related items like a good helmet, a Hans device and good harness system. Along with that is addressing anything related to your brakes (pads, fluid, lines, possibly calipers if needed). One thing to keep in mind if you are sticking with the cars stock 3 point system and you are a newcomer, the wear and tear on your body will be significantly more than if you were fully strapped in. You will be using your left leg to try to keep your body straight when hitting all right hand turns. Once you commit to a harness system you can drop all of that additional muscle stress and concentrate more on driving. I apologize if all this was already evident.

-Pete

Thanks for the the helpful feedback guys. I do have a bit of track experience... tracked my Porsche 993 (which I sold to buy my Boss) three or four weekends a year over the 5 years I had it.

Used a CG lock for a while, but didn't really care for it ... a simple, cheap "baby seat" belt clip works just as well, IMO. Ended up putting in a Schroth harness & BK harness guide bar... as PeteInCT points out, made DE days much more enjoyable securely "strapping on" the car vice being belted into the seat and having to brace myself through turns.

At least the grippy, well bolstered Boss Recaro seat should provide a lot better lateral support than the standard 993 seat (a Sparco Evo seat was on my 993 mod to-do list at the time I sold it).

Then the best stuff for our cars if you want to keep the Ford Recaros is available from LLCooltech IMO.

Four point rollbar and his harness system..............I have the rollbar and it's first rate, I might have gone with his harness/clips, but I had a Sparco seat and six point from my old track car...........

PeteInCT said:
I use the Schroth 6 pt harnesses with a Corbeau harness bar and the Cooltech floor clips for the 'under the butt' harness lines. Works great, pro quality.

Could you provide part #s. Do you have to drill the floor for the Cooltech clips? Can you use the harness without the butt harness? .........thanks

Could you provide part #s. Do you have to drill the floor for the Cooltech clips? Can you use the harness without the butt harness? .........thanks

Our custom Mustang seat clips mount to the back 2 bolts of the front seats. Mounted, they will not inhibit full fore/aft seat movement. The lap belts will clip to these. The shoulder belts are typically around the roll bar's integrated horizontal harness bar. Finally there is a V shaped belt. Each leg of the V is clipped to our clips - same as the lap belt is. The point of the V lies just off the front edge of the seat. You sit down on this harness and then bring up the end to your crotch and plug it into the cam-lock. This is your anti-submarine provision. There is NO cutting or drilling of either the seat or the floorpan of the car.

Scroth 6-pt with the thinner hip belts so they are easier to get snug. I have no complaints about my 2 sets

Basically this one, but without the HANS straps unless you use a HANS

http://www.saferacer.com/schroth-profi-ii-hans-6pt-camlock-harness.html?productid=2152

What do you guys think about this?

http://corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/2-inch_retractable_harness_belts/

I had a roll bar in my 04 Cobra but don't want to put on in my BOSS. Not crazy about harness bars ethier.

5 DOT 0 said:
ORANGE CRUSH said:
What do you guys think about this?

http://corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/2-inch_retractable_harness_belts/

I had a roll bar in my 04 Cobra but don't want to put on in my BOSS. Not crazy about harness bars either.
This looks interesting but I don't quite understand how it works. Does it attach to your existing seat belt?

I don't get it either. Do the split belts go through the seat back rest slots or around the door side of the seat (like the factory three point does)?

If it goes through the seat back, the angle to the mounting point would be extreme and side load the seat back. If it goes around the seat back, I can't see how the belt is any significant improvement over the factory single shoulder belt as the same extreme force would be placed on the collar bone in frontal impact. The photos on the web site do not show them installed or in use. They show the belt with a bend at the Y junction that I don't think is how they would fit when tightened across the upper body. It would end up with a straight Y running diagonally across the upper body from the pillar mounting point to the connection points on the lap belt. Other than having two torso belts slightly separated below the chest, I don't see any benefit over the factory set up besides the locking feature and disconnect feature.

I may have this wrong, but their web site is no help. Anybody have these and can clearly explain how they function?

Mike

PeteInCT

Connecticut
IMHO, I would not used any harness system that had a retractable mechanism like this one has. If I had to guess, I'd say some car clubs would not approve it's use (I'm thinking NASA and BMWCCA, both of whom focus on harness system design and integrity significantly when I go through Tech before one of their events).

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
let me just interject a safety point on harness bars with harnesses. if you are strapped onto a 5 or 6 pt harness, you have no ability to collapse yourself down if in a rollover, where the roof caves in. this is perfectly ok for use with a roll bar or better because the roof cannot cave in onto your head. a harness bar offers no such protection. i have seen one harness manufacturer (can't remember which) that provides a mechanism to allow the inside shoulder strap of the harness to release or extend in a rollover, so your body can collapse and not have your spine crushed by your head.

until i work up the nerve to install a 4pt rollbar, i will stick with my CG lock, which is a fantastic little piece of gadgetry that has been used in 4 cars now.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Good points and true, however I personally am less concerned with the possibility of a rollover and more concerned with a head on collision or being t-boned. That's just my opinion, there's no doubt that a full cage is the safest route to go if you can afford it and you wish to put such a device in your boss. Schroth makes ASM harnesses that address the submarining issue similar to a 3. system does.

TMO Supporting Vendors