The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Restrictor Plates Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks for passing on the info guys, coboss I sent you a PM. You can also contact me at sjrsw (@) yahoo (dot) com.

This thread has more info including vids of my car with different size discs installed.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/after-market-discs/

PeteInCT said:
LOL - If you guys want to deal with #@$! when modding a car go buy an Audi. As much success that that car has in some racing circles they are really touchy about any potential for a mod to their vehicles. At least that's been my experience.

Audi has nothing on Mitsubishi. The infamous dealership that threw an Evo owner appreciation event then tagged the warranty of every car that showed up.

On a separate subject, but related to warranty; does the computer keep track of Red Key use? And can extensive Red Key use impact the warranty? I was told that it may impact "x"% of it.

Interesting conspiracy theory.

Ford Racing Meeting

Engineer: "We need to build a hot car that can be taken to track days."
Bean Counter: "Are you kidding? We'd lose our shirts in warranty claims!"
Lawyer: "Is there any way to know if someone is tracking the car?"
Engineer: "Hmmm. I've got it! Lets give them an engine tune that is switchable to track mode, and then tell them it is for TRACK USE ONLY! If they use it, they obviously have tracked the car!!!"
Bean Counter: "Brilliant!"
Lawyer: "Let's go golf and slam a few beers to celebrate!"

Hpfisterer said:
On a separate subject, but related to warranty; does the computer keep track of Red Key use? And can extensive Red Key use impact the warranty? I was told that it may impact "x"% of it.

I'm not sure if the computer keeps track of operating time based on "key", but if you get and install the red key option, it immediately reduces the engine/powertrain portion of your warranty from 5 years to 3. (other warranty is not affected).

I have the red key option installed on my car..."wouldn't leave home without it" ;)

SouthJerseyBoss said:
Hpfisterer said:

I'm not sure if the computer keeps track of operating time based on "key", but if you get and install the red key option, it immediately reduces the engine/powertrain portion of your warranty from 5 years to 3. (other warranty is not affected).

I have the red key option installed on my car..."wouldn't leave home without it" ;)

There has been a lot of back and forth on it, and Ford has advertised it both ways, but it is safe to assume 3 and try to argue if it fails between 3 and 5.

As for the 3, the rumor is that you are covered by the Ford Racing warranty not the normal warranty, but until it happens to someone it is still not certain either.

TMO Supporting Vendors