The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Restrictor Plates Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey guys, I took home #0083 (GB) on Saturday, and I just had a quick question about the restrictor plates. I posted to another forum and got a very good opinion on the matter but I'm looking for hard proof (quotation from Ford, or a really tech savvy individual's explanation on why it wouldn't). So I'm just asking around to as many places as possible trying to see what the take on the matter is. Okay here's the question, does removing the restrictor plates actually void the warranty?

(I asked a buddy who works at a truck shop and he said that with how intelligent modern day cars' computers are, the computer on the Boss should have no problem adjusting to the potential difference in back pressure and in turn not void the perfectly good warranty.)

Thanks in advance guys

It will not void the warranty. Your friend is right the computer adjusts to small changes very well. Someone on here will tell you about how good the computer is on the Boss because I cant remember what its called that the computer does to make small changes.

It amazes me how this "void the warranty" thing persists.

1) A dealer cannot void your warranty. The warranty is between you and Ford Motor Co. FoMoCo can void part of your warranty under extreme conditions, but the dealer cannot.

2) If an aftermarket part causes a failure, Ford may decline to pay for the repair to the failed part. However, an unrelated part must be covered. For example, if you put an aftermarket CAI on your car and it can be proven that the CAI caused engine damage, the engine damage may not be covered. However, a power window or a wheel bearing or other unrelated part will still be covered, since the CAI could not have caused those parts to fail.

3) In extreme cases, Ford may cancel part of your warranty. For example, if you put nitrous on your car and Ford could prove that the nitrous caused your motor to grenade, they could cancel your powertrain warranty. Your other warranty items (such as suspension parts, radio, etc.) would still be covered.

It persists because it happens. I know people who had their powertrain warranties flagged because they came in with an aftermarket cat-back though it was not in the Ford community.

I've never seen it with Ford, and the dealers in the import scene that do it are pretty well known locally and avoided.

Thank you everyone for your input on the matter. I'm definitely getting those plates removed asap then. I just went to my dealer and asked them remove the restrictor plates and they said they wouldn't because they didn't want to take responsibility if it voided the warranty. My first car was a used 08 mustang that already had all the necessary mods on it so I never had to deal with the "void your warranty" issue. So once again thank you everyone, especially you JonW, definitely cleared up the issues.

(On a different note, if the "void your warranty" thread here is a constant pain perhaps someone should create a detailed guide to explain what would void your warranty and what wouldn't)

TheKonquerer said:
(On a different note, if the "void your warranty" thread here is a constant pain perhaps someone should create a detailed guide to explain what would void your warranty and what wouldn't)
Welcome to BMO. That's not a bad suggestion but Ford makes the untimate decision on what void's your warranty and while many of us have a pretty good idea of what's acceptable we don't know for certain. In general if you're concerned about voiding your warranty then you should keep your Boss stock until your warranty expires.

TheKonquerer said:
Thank you everyone for your input on the matter. I'm definitely getting those plates removed asap then. I just went to my dealer and asked them remove the restrictor plates and they said they wouldn't because they didn't want to take responsibility if it voided the warranty. My first car was a used 08 mustang that already had all the necessary mods on it so I never had to deal with the "void your warranty" issue. So once again thank you everyone, especially you JonW, definitely cleared up the issues.

That's what Ford customer service is for. What makes you think that any info you get from a public forum is gospel?

TheKonquerer said:

Buy a ratcheting box end wrench in (iirc) 15mm and you can do it yourself. You don't even need to lift the car, I had done it several times on the floor. A regular ratchet will not fit in the space on the inboard bolt. There are several threads with pics and stuff, and make sure you get the joint back together straight enough there is a gap between the bolt and the floor boards on the passenger side.

68XXX%20RATCHET%20%20WRENCHES.JPG

The angled one is better, but it can be done with either.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
CaliMR said:
TheKonquerer said:

Buy a ratcheting box end wrench in (iirc) 15mm and you can do it yourself. You don't even need to lift the car, I had done it several times on the floor. A regular ratchet will not fit in the space on the inboard bolt. There are several threads with pics and stuff, and make sure you get the joint back together straight enough there is a gap between the bolt and the floor boards on the passenger side.

68XXX%20RATCHET%20%20WRENCHES.JPG

The angled one is better, but it can be done with either.
we have a how to on this
https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-how-to/how-to-remove-or-change-side-pipe-restrictor-plates/

I actually saw all that, the pictures and everything are very informative. And I understand that Ford does have the final say in what voids the warranty and what doesn't, I was just looking to everyone here for input, which I certainly got plenty of. I'll definitely be staying at this forum for technical help and questions and for just plain fun. Mostly everyone here was very laid back and informative. So I thank you all for your time and input, it helped me make my decision

The courts have the final say, but it often is not worth going to those lengths. It would be a VERY hard fight for them to prove that removing the plates caused a blown motor, or anything else other than if you leave the bolts loose and the pipes fall off.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
I would be EXTREMELY surprised if something as mundane as taking the restrictor plates out would cause an issue with Ford. I am going to guess that the difference in back pressure is almost non-existent, it's all about the sound. The good news is that we have a car manufactured by a company that embraces enhancements to their vehicles and supports is through an extensive FRPP program. It is not in their DNA to screw a customer and use a mod as an excuse to not uphold the warranty. And as someone else said in this thread, what the dealer opinion is has no bearing on your warranty whatsoever.

Justin

PeteInCT said:
I would be EXTREMELY surprised if something as mundane as taking the restrictor plates out would cause an issue with Ford. I am going to guess that the difference in back pressure is almost non-existent, it's all about the sound. The good news is that we have a car manufactured by a company that embraces enhancements to their vehicles and supports is through an extensive FRPP program. It is not in their DNA to screw a customer and use a mod as an excuse to not uphold the warranty. And as someone else said in this thread, what the dealer opinion is has no bearing on your warranty whatsoever.
Me too. We have a lot of the reason that a motor company cant deny a warranty claim on something because of a mod is due to the legal actions SEMA has done. Ex. You have exhaust so we wont fix your broken window motor.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
LOL - If you guys want to deal with #@$! when modding a car go buy an Audi. As much success that that car has in some racing circles they are really touchy about any potential for a mod to their vehicles. At least that's been my experience.

Sorry for resurrecting and old thread, but does anyone know the Ford part number for the restrictor plates? I saw it somewhere but I can't find the post now. I want to keep one set the original size and gradually drill out the other. Also, do they come in packages of two, or do I have to buy two parts?

Justin

coboss said:
Sorry for resurrecting and old thread, but does anyone know the Ford part number for the restrictor plates? I saw it somewhere but I can't find the post now. I want to keep one set the original size and gradually drill out the other. Also, do they come in packages of two, or do I have to buy two parts?
you could save your stock ones and get some from 2012yellowboss in stock size and drill those out probably cheaper.

TMO Supporting Vendors