The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Retro boss wheels

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai said:
I think that looks better than the black for that color boss.
Notice the rear spoiler is also PS'd in white. IMO the white striped cars should have come stock with a white spoiler.

Thanks for the comments on the wheels guys. I like the look a lot but they are a PITA to clean. Fortunately a friend of mine suggested the Audi wheel brush and it makes the job a lot easier and faster.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Did you ever try applying this stuff to the wheels?

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze and polish:
http://www.amazon.com/Klasse-Concours-Kit/dp/B00063JMY6

I used this stuff on my OZ Racing wheels on my former Audi. I had a huge problem with keeping them clean until I started using this. I creates a protective layer that the brake dust has a harder time sticking to. Not perfect, but it did make a reasonable difference.

On a side note, the pads we use seem to have a huge difference on the amount of difficult to remove brake residue on the wheels. What I've noticed so far with 3 pad brands on the Boss:

• Stock PFC pads (front and rear): Not too bad, fairly easy to remove as long as you don't let it build up too much
  • Pagid R-29's (front only): Very easy to clean, residue has little of that 'sticky' composition.
  • Hawk DTC-60's (rear): Brutal is the only way to describe it - it's like glue. I'm using brake cleaner to get the residue off the wheels. For this reason alone I'm going CarboTech in the rears next time since Pagid isn't available on our rear calipers.

PeteInCT said:
Did you ever try applying this stuff to the wheels?

Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze and polish:
http://www.amazon.com/Klasse-Concours-Kit/dp/B00063JMY6

I used this stuff on my OZ Racing wheels on my former Audi. I had a huge problem with keeping them clean until I started using this. I creates a protective layer that the brake dust has a harder time sticking to. Not perfect, but it did make a reasonable difference.

On a side note, the pads we use seem to have a huge difference on the amount of difficult to remove brake residue on the wheels. What I've noticed so far with 3 pad brands on the Boss:

• Stock PFC pads (front and rear): Not too bad, fairly easy to remove as long as you don't let it build up too much
  • Pagid R-29's (front only): Very easy to clean, residue has little of that 'sticky' composition.
  • Hawk DTC-60's (rear): Brutal is the only way to describe it - it's like glue. I'm using brake cleaner to get the residue off the wheels. For this reason alone I'm going CarboTech in the rears next time since Pagid isn't available on our rear calipers.
That's weird that you're having so much trouble getting the DTC dust off. I usually just go through the drive through car wash a couple blocks from my house after unloading from the trailer, but then maybe you're more particular about your track wheels than I am :p

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Gary - What I'm seeing is not even from track driving, I loaded in the Pagid/Hawk combo after my last event of the year at VIR last November. This is just from some street driving, and truly not spirited at all except for a handfull of WOT short runs (no hard braking involved). I was very surprised to be honest. It's not just a PITA thin film of dust, it's more like a think layer of glue. I had the same type of gunk on my Audi Q5 with the stock pads till I switched to Ceramic's (Hawk, actually ;D ). I'm just lucky I guess !

5 DOT 0 said:
Sesshomurai said:
I think that looks better than the black for that color boss.
Notice the rear spoiler is also PS'd in white. IMO the white striped cars should have come stock with a white spoiler.

I never noticed the wing was black on the kona cars, but now that I know it kind of bugs me seeing it. The white is much better given all the other accents are white.

Sesshomurai

PeteInCT said:
I'll have to disagree - IMO I like 5 DOT 0's current wheels much more than the white. Too much accent color make it look too much like a cute show car, not the track beast that it is ! Also, if you track a car and have white painted wheels then you likely have a complex that forces you to make life extremely hard on yourself ! ;D

If you think about it, the white wheels with the white stripes makes more sense. Look at the '12 black/red LS you have. Same color pattern. wheel color=stripes. I think it works. ;)

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Yea, I get it. IMO I'm not a fan of that color matching for track cars. My second set of wheels are black, I'm actually not a big fan of the red stock wheels. I'd go black, dark grey or if I could swing it just lightweight non-painted aluminium. In fact my grille is all black now too. I guess I'm going for the sinister look ;D

BlackFordRacingWheels.jpg
2011-12-23_10-04-26_132.jpg

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Yes, the bright red is a bit of a pain. I do dig the read 'head and tail' I have ;D Black on the roof makes it look to common IMO, same for the tail. On your ride the white on the tail really makes a big (positive) difference. Just be glad we don't have a CO/BK Boss like someone we know ! ;D ;D ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel