The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Retro: Mustang GT vs Camaro Z/28

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

These 1994 models will quickly remind you how lucky we are to have the current cars. We truly live in the golden age of the automobile. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XS7CwQeejg

Blast from the past! I remember religiously watching MotorWeek on PBS back in the early 80's.

The '94 Z/28 definitely roasted the Mustang. You could even still order the super secret Z/28 1LE package, by doing something weird like ordering an optional gear ratio and no A/C. That got you the entire SCCA package - brakes, suspension, cooling, etc.

We have come a long way in 22 years, and just imagine where we will be in 2038.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Those cars were screamers for their time. The performance is laughable today, but both GM and Ford have come (SLOWLY) a long way since the 70s and the cars shown in this review were an evolution of the previous models in performance, quality, and ergonomics.

Things have really hit their stride today and the cars are better than ever--NOW is the Golden Age. :)

To bastardize a quote that has been attributed to many people "I've been rich and I've been poor. Rich is better.", I hereby declare "I've had fast cars and I've had slow cars. Fast is better."

Fast: The 2013 Boss, a 1970 Mach I 428 SCJ, a 1969 AMX 390. The slow: A 1970 Chevy Biscayne with a 250 straight 6 and a Powerglide 2-speed transmission, a 1990 Mazda MPV AWD minivan, a 1974 Vega.

Fast is better.

I've never seen any published specs on the 1970 Biscayne (why would there be?), but the fastest I ever got it to go was 75 MPH, and it took a mile of interstate to get it there. It was without a doubt one of the slowest "modern" cars ever made. Definitely the automotive low point for me. The only car I have ever ridden in that *might* have been slower was a friend's early 70's VW Bug with a 2 speed "automanual" transmission. I remember riding in it one time with three other people, and because there was a headwind, he couldn't hit 65 MPH. It ended up catching on fire after an hour of completely foot to the floorboard, full throttle driving down the highway. Good lord, the auto transmissions they put in some cars back then! Another one I remember was the two speed automanual they put in Honda Accords back in the late 70's. At least that one had an engine with more than 75HP.

Younger people have no concept of how we suffered from the mid 70's until the 90's. I remember reading a road test of an early 80's Dodge Ramcharger (a Bronco/Blazer type full sized SUV) on which the top engine choice was a 318 V8 with 120 HP. They tried to tow a 5000 lb trailer with the thing!

My first car was a 1969 Toyota Corolla that had a 1100 CC engine. Harley's had bigger motors. It sounded like a sewing machine but it got me thru the gas crisis of '73. My next car after that was my '68 Olds 442....What a difference!...

Back in 69 / 70 era I was 13 years old and all I could do was to whish I had a driver license. As time passed and life became a family I still thought of how cool it must of been to be able to have a car with 375 to 425hp and gobs of TQ from the factory.
Well, then around 2010 out of no where, cars started hitting the showroom floor with 400+hp. And by the time 2015 was here we now have cars with 700hp. Thats just insane! But I do like what where its going. Not so sure on the driverless cars.
I guess what im getting at is how we thought 69/70 werte the bad as years. When todays cars are truley the king of bad ass.
Drive them like you stole them!!! Most of all.... Enjoy

As it turns out, there are a ton of old MotorWeek shows on YouTube now. I haven't seen or even thought of the show for years, and I can't believe it still has the same host and the same mechanic guy. What a great gig that has been.

Anyway, I watch YouTube videos while riding my exercise bike, and I came across another oldie but goodie that makes us understand just how good we have it these days: an extended episode lauding the all-new 1984 Corvette, with it's 205HP pushing to a blistering 7.8 sec 0-60 and 15.8 sec at 87MPH 1/4 mile! Ladies and gentlemen, a Honda Odyssey minivan comes close to those numbers. The brakes were massive 11 inch rotors with single piston calipers that needed 110 feet from 55 MPH to stop, which is about 130 feet from 60 MPH.

I clearly remember the hype around the '84 Corvette. I had just bought an '83 5.0 Mustang and was waiting to see if the Corvette would be as fast. It was about identical in most tests, and I was happy. The "Crossfire Injection" had a lot of issues, but it was obviously a case of Chevy didn't get the new engine done in time, the '84 was already a year late, and they pushed it out with that boat anchor. The '85 engine was one of the first engines with port injection, and was much better, but it still had the goofy 4+3 manual or a four speed auto. Every C4 Corvette I've ever ridden in has rattled, had a terrible ride, and was noisy and pretty slow. The C3 Corvettes, even the late 70's early 80's ones, are worth more now. The C5's are much, much better. I'd love to have a 2004 C5 Z06. Those cars seem to be universally revered.

VoodooBOSS said:
Those late C5 Z06 cars still run strong at the track and look good too.

There are a lot of low mile ones around, with low-$20K pricetags. If I were looking to build a track only car, I'm pretty sure that would be my base. That is a lot of car for $20-25K. The 6-speed and fixed roof keep the casual Corvette buyers away, so they are not as expensive as I would expect them to be.

I just looked at eBay for 2004 Z06, and there are a bunch on there for low $20's, and there is even one with, get this, 2857 miles. There is a 2003 with a salvage title with 61K miles that actually looks pretty well taken care of (eBay wise anyway) for $14K. If it was good mechanically, that would be a heck of a place to start building a track rat.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel