The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

rev limiter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

who else find it hard to stay off of the rev limiter? my last car was a 370z, the engine was 'lazy' and it did not like to rev. it took forever to reach the redline, so i didn't have the problem. this engine revs so fast the rev limiter comes on real quick, i find myself bouncing off of the rev limiter in the 2nd and 3rd a few of times.

I used to do it all the time, I know what you mean. After 13,500 miles I've got used to it and rarely bounce it. An engine that revs so quick is a nice problem to have though.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
At least the Boss motor is good for 8400 rpm, so bouncing off the 'soft' limit of 7500 isn't gonna hurt it one bit. :eek:

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ihatepotholess said:
It is definitely a good problem :D

8400rpm :eek: Where did you read this?
I have read it in several interviews with the engineer at ford. and supposedly the reason the rev limit is at 7500 and not 8400 is for two reasons they met there hp goal and the current software wasnt fast enough to control timing and fuel events at that rpm

I just installed a Raptor shift light for this very same reason. I find I can keep my eyes on the track more with a shift light than looking at the trac.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
ihatepotholess said:

Yeah, I've read this on other forums as reported from the Ford Engineers on the Boss team. I didn't know about the reason(s) why it was limited to 'just' 7500, you learn something new every day...

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
As Fat Boss mentioned above. As you drive the car more, you will hit the limiter less often.

I have had my car for a year now and the rev limiter was the only thing keeping the pistons from involuntarily changing placed when I first drove the car. Now I shift at 7000 without looking at the tach.

And yes, I do agree these are excellent issues to have ;D

ace72ace said:
ihatepotholess said:

Yeah, I've read this on other forums as reported from the Ford Engineers on the Boss team. I didn't know about the reason(s) why it was limited to 'just' 7500, you learn something new every day...
The 7,500 rev limit is set so your engine will meet Ford's durability standards. While it may rev to 8,400 I doubt it will last 100,000 miles doing so. ;D I'm still bouncing mine off the rev limiter frequently and it brings a smile to my face everytime.

boss2511 said:
ihatepotholess said:

I have read it in several interviews with the engineer at ford. and supposedly the reason the rev limit is at 7500 and not 8400 is for two reasons they met there hp goal and the current software wasnt fast enough to control timing and fuel events at that rpm

In the interview that was posted online in the articles, they said 8000 and that the motor could run it fine except the computer could barely handle the current limit as is. Too expensive to use a special computer just for this car, so they left where the computer was safe.

ihatepotholess said:
I'm not familiar with boss ecu. Are there any aftermarket solution that can safely raise the rev limiter?
A tune will do it. Regardless of what the article stated, and I've read it, the main reason it's limited at 7,500 is because of durability. There are plenty of aftermarket tuners raising the limit with no problems. You just need to ask yourself do you want your engine to last at least 100,000 miles? If so don't raise the rev limiter. ;) I'm not sure about 8,400 but 8,200 for sure. I've been face to face with Ford engineers and team drivers and as much as I begged them they will not state what the limit is. One driver told me he had to sign an NDA regarding the specs for his 302R race car. I asked him "are you serious" and he replied "yes".

I was there. I saw it. At least the 5 DOT 0 begging part! ;D

I agree after talking to the engineers/drivers it sounds like the low 8000's is where you can get some durability for racing with mo' powa.

"C'mon Mark, it's ok. You can tell us. We promise we won't immediately post it on the internet..."

DSC02307.jpg

DSC02180.jpg

The 5.0 Magazine article on the development of the Boss engine stated that the engine passed full extended durability testing at 7900 RPM. They set the final rev limiter at 7500 to allow for a 400 RPM buffer in the event of over speed events and such. They also mentioned that the engine saw 9,000 RPM for a brief period during testing with zero damage.

5 DOT 0 said:
ihatepotholess said:
I'm not familiar with boss ecu. Are there any aftermarket solution that can safely raise the rev limiter?
A tune will do it. Regardless of what the article stated, and I've read it, the main reason it's limited at 7,500 is because of durability. There are plenty of aftermarket tuners raising the limit with no problems. You just need to ask yourself do you want your engine to last at least 100,000 miles? If so don't raise the rev limiter. ;) I'm not sure about 8,400 but 8,200 for sure. I've been face to face with Ford engineers and team drivers and as much as I begged them they will not state what the limit is. One driver told me he had to sign an NDA regarding the specs for his 302R race car. I asked him "are you serious" and he replied "yes".

wow, this engine is a gem! i gotta say i grin from ear to ear everytime i drive this car..

LOL That's Andy in the black shirt, Mark Wilson from Ford Racing in the white shirt, me in the green and white shirt and my pit crew in the hat. He's very useful for adjusting the rear shocks. ;)

Fat Boss said:
I was there. I saw it. At least the 5 DOT 0 begging part! ;D

I agree after talking to the engineers/drivers it sounds like the low 8000's is where you can get some durability for racing with mo' powa.

"C'mon Mark, it's ok. You can tell us. We promise we won't immediately post it on the internet..."

DSC02307.jpg

Rich_S said:
The 5.0 Magazine article on the development of the Boss engine stated that the engine passed full extended durability testing at 7900 RPM. They set the final rev limiter at 7500 to allow for a 400 RPM buffer in the event of over speed events and such. They also mentioned that the engine saw 9,000 RPM for a brief period during testing with zero damage.

Maybe they are leaving some headroom for a future performance version. At 9k rpm, it would be eating Italian ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors