The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

reving engine limits

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hey guys,

i want to start drifting my 2013 boss 302. I would like to know what to avoid doing in order to not face engine problems ?

with drifting the car will be on the high rpm range most of the time ( 5 to 8k rpm) ,, and i would like to know if i can safely step on the gas for a lon period ? would the engine handle this stress ?

My car is na with bolt ons, it is tune by AED with a rev limit of 8250.

I would like you to help me out with recommendations and if i can rev it to the rev limit or not, or should i lower the rev limit to 7.5k or even 6.8k ??

I luv my car and i wanna have fun with it but i dont wanna break it.

many thanks

I'd keep it at 7,500 or below.

VooDooBOSS said:
I'd keep it at 7,500 or below.

Would u think that it would definitely handle the constant high rpm of drifting ??

Or i would deal with broken pieces ??

I would pick a different mustang or pull the motor and install a 5.0 from a wrecked stang if you are dead set about drifting. But that only me.
But getting back to your question. I would set the limiter to 6800 to 7000. Plenty of power at that RPM to do your thing while not pushing your U code engine to the max.
Drifting is pure hell on the motor & tires / drive train and many other parts.
However I do tip my hat to you sir for not being afraid to push your Boss to give you the pleasure you want.
I on the other hand could'nt do that...Lol
My question to you....What gear do you guys do your drifting in. Also what rear gear is normally used.

Please post some pictures or video if you can of your Boss doing some drifting.
Drifting is way harder than many people think. Its controlled CHAOS. Putting your car on the very edge of wrecking each time into another car or wall. At least thats the way it looks to me....Enjoy!

superhero said:
I would pick a different mustang or pull the motor and install a 5.0 from a wrecked stang if you are dead set about drifting. But that only me.
But getting back to your question. I would set the limiter to 6800 to 7000. Plenty of power at that RPM to do your thing while not pushing your U code engine to the max.
Drifting is pure hell on the motor & tires / drive train and many other parts.
However I do tip my hat to you sir for not being afraid to push your Boss to give you the pleasure you want.
I on the other hand could'nt do that...Lol
My question to you....What gear do you guys do your drifting in. Also what rear gear is normally used.

Please post some pictures or video if you can of your Boss doing some drifting.
Drifting is way harder than many people think. Its controlled CHAOS. Putting your car on the very edge of wrecking each time into another car or wall. At least thats the way it looks to me....Enjoy!

I havent drift the car yet lol ... i want to soo baad but i gotta make sure whaat the consiquences will be lol ... i had a 2010 b4 which i really did every type of torture to and still hold up fine !! .. i thought that i may be wrong but this engine as long as its na it will be bullit proof compared to others and would withstand all the stress ... but thats just my belief lol and i dnt know if i do it or not ... i luv my car so damn much i wanna do everything to it and have all if the fun i want without going for another car cuz its beautiful ... but im concerned that i may be wrong too lool

I wonder how the Torsen would take it long-term (if you have that option). I was told or read that it does not like drag racing.

I would definitely be changing the engine, diff, and trans oils frequently. It also seems to me like a good idea to think about external oil coolers since you won't have much airflow over the trans and diff to cool them compared to normal racing. And unblocking the '13 hood vents is good for some cooling, too.

TMO Supporting Vendors