The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rice racer?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
I came across this article today and it got me wondering. Will our next Stangs become rice racers?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/20/business/global/ford-to-build-new-plant-in-china-to-catch-up-with-gm.html

MakeMyDay said:
I came across this article today and it got me wondering. Will our next Stangs become rice racers?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/20/business/global/ford-to-build-new-plant-in-china-to-catch-up-with-gm.html

Hmmm I always consider a 'rice racer' a ridiculously modified Civic or Integra. There's great cars coming from the far east. I sure as hell wouldn't mind having a Nissan GT-R or a Lexus LFA. I doubt a lot of others here would either ;)

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
well most of the boss is assembled in the USA I know the wheels at the very least are not made in the USA says made in mexico right on the back of the spokes....

302BOB said:
Thank GOD for my Boss built in the good ole U S of A!
And a bunch of the parts come from outside the good ole U S of A including China. ;) I thought the wheels were made in China???

FYI there's no need to be bashing cars not made in the USA so please keep this discussion relevant.

The Chinese built trannies in our cars are wonderful, so don't worry about it.

Joking aside, they could build top quality parts in China or the Congo or where ever they want to if they really wanted to. But the reason they source parts from China is that they are cheap, and being cheap they are usually lower quality. That is the trade off, as the old saying goes: Fast, cheap or reliable, pick 2.

On the other hand, Korean cars used to be junk but they are considered the new Japan now after many years of improving them. The Chinese could make great stuff, if they wanted to, but it would still take time for people to have confidence in them.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
5 DOT 0 said:
302BOB said:
And a bunch of the parts come from outside the good ole U S of A including China. ;) I thought the wheels were made in China???

FYI there's no need to be bashing cars not made in the USA so please keep this discussion relevant.
when I was clay baring the wheels its cast into the wheels "made in mexico" I thought that was interesting lol

CaliMR said:

Joking aside, they could build top quality parts in China or the Congo or where ever they want to if they really wanted to. But the reason they source parts from China is that they are cheap, and being cheap they are usually lower quality. That is the trade off, as the old saying goes: Fast, cheap or reliable, pick 2.

On the other hand, Korean cars used to be junk but they are considered the new Japan now after many years of improving them. The Chinese could make great stuff, if they wanted to, but it would still take time for people to have confidence in them.

Well you know, all Apple products come from China too and look how they're doing...

Dvendet

TheMarco said:
CaliMR said:

Well you know, all Apple products come from China too and look how they're doing...
marco - are you sure you want to go there?

http://www.t3.com/news/new-apple-ipad-3-problems

MakeMyDay said:
TheMarco said:
CaliMR said:

marco - are you sure you want to go there?

http://www.t3.com/news/new-apple-ipad-3-problems

Hahaha! Oops!

boss2511 said:
5 DOT 0 said:
302BOB said:

when I was clay baring the wheels its cast into the wheels "made in mexico" I thought that was interesting lol
Of course you're correct. I confused the wheels with the tranny. My SVT wheels are made in Taiwan and I believe the clutches come from Turkey. :eek:

As much as I like buying American we live in a global economy where production always follows cheap labor. It's been going on for hundreds of years and should continue for hundreds more. Production costs have increased in China quickly so look for the next hot low cost labor countries to be Vietnam and the Philippines.

5 DOT 0 said:
As much as I like buying American we live in a global economy where production always follows cheap labor. It's been going on for hundreds of years and should continue for hundreds more. Production costs have increased in China quickly so look for the next hot low cost labor countries to be Vietnam and the Philippines.

Yep, you're right. Cheap labor from China will soon be over as the workers over there are starting to 'wake up' and actually want to make a decent living. In fact all the fuss around Apple's manufacturing is a good example of how things are changing already in China.

Dvendet

5 DOT 0 said:
Of course you're correct. I confused the wheels with the tranny. My SVT wheels are made in Taiwan and I believe the clutches come from Turkey. :eek:

5.0 I agree with what you are saying. I think we as consumers should not have to sacrifice quality for price. I think we can have, and should demand both. Take a look at the MGW shifter. This unit as you're aware is a quality product. It doesn't break the bank and represents quality than has been a long been a hallmark for American products. If MGW turned out crap they wouldn't be in business very long. A lot of the products that are flooding our markets are not built with this level of quality Americans have been accustomed with. Do you think you'll ever buy a quality shifter as good as MGW's that originates from China? If so, then why is it not installed in the Boss now? I am leary of purchasing anything from China as they do not manufacter to the standards that America, and even Europe, designs to. Their manufacturing processes are very lax and the products are in many cases unsafe or inferior. All this to lower the cost to the customer. I question whether or not the few pennies that are being saved are worth the sacrifices in quality that are being made. For me - if at all possible - I will always look for products made here first.

TheMarco said:
CaliMR said:

They also throw their employees out of windows when they screw up. Toss a few Getrag people off a highrise and they would probably figure out the tranny pretty quick.

Apple products also are not cheap, as I said you can get high quality stuff out of China but you end up losing a lot of the savings that is the whole point of going there.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Rename thread 'Economics 101 - Manufacturing in a global capitalist economy'. Btw you will see a bigger labor market emerge in Malaysia before Vietnam, et al, it's already begun.

Dvendet

ace72ace said:
Rename thread 'Economics 101 - Manufacturing in a global capitalist economy'. Btw you will see a bigger labor market emerge in Malaysia before Vietnam, et al, it's already begun.
No. Maybe the thread could be renamed American Patriotism 101. Are you big on eating rice?

Dvendet

5 DOT 0 said:
MakeMyDay said:
No. Maybe the thread could be renamed American Patriotism 101. Are you big on eating rice?
So eating rice is unpatriotic? I happen to live in one of the largest rice producing regions in the world. Many parts of Asia covet the rice grown here. And guess what? It's in the USA. ;)
5dot

Not at all. I realize that the US is a huge producer of rice. As you're probably aware rice is grown in vast amount the great state Louisiana where I have many friends. I was speaking metaphorically to the poster. I interpreted that post as a swipe against the US. No offense to you. Please accept my apologies if you mistook my post.

Regards,

MMD

TMO Supporting Vendors