The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ride height for jack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guys im running standard wheels and tires right now but i have just got 18inch wheels and im wondering ifg i will have trouble getting my jack under car once i have the 18's on

Im planning on buying a lower trolley jack today, (but the cars at home) does anyone know the ride height so i can take an inch off and find a jack thats going to fit?

ian

Depends on the diameter of tires you run on your 18" wheels. Stock tire diameter is ~26.9"... so, for example, a 275/35-18 tire would be ~25.7", lowering the ride height about 1/2" overall from stock, while a 275/40-18 tire would be ~26.7", which is very close to stock.

dabossinne said:
Depends on the diameter of tires you run on your 18" wheels. Stock tire diameter is ~26.9"... so, for example, a 275/35-18 tire would be ~25.7", lowering the ride height about 1/2" overall from stock, while a 275/40-18 tire would be ~26.7", which is very close to stock.

Yeah i get that, thats why i wanted to know the standard height, anyways, ill work it out when i get home

thanks

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I have the P springs and 18s. My jack is low profile but still difficult to get under the car.

simple solution for me is to take 2 15" long 2x6s and cut one end at 45 degrees. I run the front tires up on them while parking in the shop. Jack fits great adn I can actually see inder the car when placing the jack.

Simple and cheap solution.

TMSBOSS said:
I have the P springs and 18s. My jack is low profile but still difficult to get under the car.

simple solution for me is to take 2 15" long 2x6s and cut one end at 45 degrees. I run the front tires up on them while parking in the shop. Jack fits great adn I can actually see inder the car when placing the jack.

Simple and cheap solution.

You and I think along similar lines !

Anyway ive just had a measure up.

Measuring from the bottom of the QTP to the garage floor ive got 4.3 inches

The new wheels and tyres look to drop my height by 1.6 inches so im left with 2.7inch's as my ground clearance, im i in trouble?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
big red one said:
You and I think along similar lines !

Anyway ive just had a measure up.

Measuring from the bottom of the QTP to the garage floor ive got 4.3 inches

The new wheels and tyres look to drop my height by 1.6 inches so im left with 2.7inch's as my ground clearance, im i in trouble?

1.6 inched drop seems to be a bit much. Is the diameter of your new tires 3.2 inches less than stock? 1.6 inches decrease in tire diameter will result in a .8 drop. 1/2 the diameter.

Cheers.

TMO Supporting Vendors