The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ride height suggestions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sydewaysix said:
Do any of the springs work differently if a watts link is added at a later time? My wish would to one day (hopefully soon) get all the FRPP components (P springs, adjustable PHB, LCAs, and relocation brackets). I'd like to test that combination out and essentially move up to adding a watts link at a later time.. Any recommendations on springs that work best with a watts link?
I would give Fillip a call from Cortex. He can explain it better than anyone I have spoken with. The Watts link does a better job at keeping the rear end "centered" than a panhard bar ever can. It does not move through an arc like the panhard set does when the springs are loading up and compressing in a turn. The Cortex unit plays nice with the Ford racing stuff. Cortex recommends the Watts link as me of the first mods.....

An S197 with lowering springs requires an adjustable panhard bar when shorter springs are installed because axle shifts to one side. That's an exaggerated example of what the axle is doing under load with the panhard bar set up. That side to side motion does not happen at all with a Watts link set up.

S197 cars equipped with a well designed Watts link set up act symmetrically in both right hand and left hand turns.

Here is what I have learned on my '12 Boss.
P spring is a good all around choice. Had them on my '12 Gt prior to the Boss.
T spring sat my car slightly lower in the rear. Maybe just my car, but I did not like the ride quality either.
H & R race. Great track spring. Stiff. Aggressive ride quality for the street.
Maximum Motorsports Road & Track. My choice. Nice ride height. Progressive spring rates. On the edge for the street, but reasonable and great for the track.
Setup is typical. Koni Yellows. Maximum Motorsports Caster/ Camber plates. Maximum Motorsports front sway bar w/ poly bushings. Powergrid front sway bar end links (adjustable). Ford 18mm rear V6 sway bar with poly bushings. Ford racing rear lower control arms w/ poly bushings and relocation brackets. Maximum Motorsports adjustable panhard bar spherical ends. Square 18 x 10 w/ Nitto 275/ 40/ 18. I have tried this setup with a Fays 2 Watts link and the Max. Motor. panhard bar at the track. I AM NOT A RACE CAR DRIVER. My impression? Watts link made the rear have a more "Settled" feel, but at my level I went back to the panhard for ease of rear gear fluid service and weight.
I think spring choice is very subjective. I know it is popular to do coil overs and go down that road, but at my price point I can buy more tires, brake pads, entrance fees, etc. In any case, springs are relatively cheap. If you do your own work, experiment. Good luck.

Sydewaysix said:
Ron - so with a watts link setup, an adjustable PHB is not necessary? If this is true, that's definitely a benefit as it would save a little cash for other things. I can't remember, but are you still running the stock Boss LS springs with your FRPP and Cortex suspension mods? Do you have an FRPP adjustable PHB?

The Watts link replaces the panhard bar. To answer your question, I do have a FRPP panhard bar, sitting on my grarage floor....lol

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My 2cents worth. Koni cortex race setup rides a little better then P springs (on stock boss shocks) and allows for height etc plus better control. Different world for me. I keep my koni rears full soft and stiffen up my fronts at the track.

Sent from my SM-G900M using Tapatalk

BigTaco said:
The Watts link replaces the panhard bar. To answer your question, I do have a FRPP panhard bar, sitting on my grarage floor....lol

Correct! I actually deleted my post right after I realized we weren't talking about PHB and Torque Arm setups lol! :p I'm so used to that combo on my older mustangs :-[ Let me know if you decide to sell the adjustable PHB.

@576 thanks for your input on your setup. I recall these details from a previous message you sent me. Cheees!

I just installed the Steeda Boss springs and competition sway bar setup.
Previously on P springs and stock swaybars.
I'm up in front height 3/4" and 1/2" lower in the rear.
Handling is great but the front needs to be lower.

TMO Supporting Vendors