The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ride height ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I installed my rear only BOSS T springs and BMR adjustable panhard bar last week, and I noticed that the passenger side sits lower than the drivers side. I measured and it is 1/4 inch lower. I have only reversed the car out of my garage to take after pics, so I have about 30' of driving on them. The axle is almost dead on center. Any reason why? I made sure that the pigtails on the springs were pointed to the rear on both sides before tightening.

Is it okay to just install the T springs in the rear? If so I will be doing the same. I think Ford missed it a little in the rear ride height.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I will be installing the fronts myself, but its way to cold here and I will be borowing my boss' air tools and getting a freind to help. Do you guys think camber bolts will be enough adjustment for the street? And should I just get the GT500 strut mount instead of fiddleing with the BOSS ones?

Tulsa, OK
Are you on level ground? I know it sounds stupid but I measured the ride height on my car once I was very confused at the differences from side to side until I realized the ground wasn't completely level.

Jason said:
I will be installing the fronts myself, but its way to cold here and I will be borowing my boss' air tools and getting a freind to help. Do you guys think camber bolts will be enough adjustment for the street? And should I just get the GT500 strut mount instead of fiddleing with the BOSS ones?
Unless you have 05-10 style struts/shocks you cannot use the GT500 mounts. Camber bolts will be more than enough but you might not need them if you get a proper alignment, found that my camber might have been fine without the bolts but I scrubbed bad because the rear wasn't aligned properly. The stock spring hats aren't the worst, IMO, and yeah they have started making noise about 15k miles after doing the install but they never fell apart on me.

It is normal for springs not to sit level.
Even a corner balanced car (coilovers) will not have equal ride heights left to right, front to back. In fact, it is almost always different even on every corner.

But as for lowering springs, you are stuck with what you have. You can be a bit coy and do a poor man's corner balance by moving the left and right springs and have them situated in a manner that balances the car "better" :D

ArizonaBOSS said:
It's likely to compensate for driver weight--I'd wager that once you sit in the car, it's closer to even on all sides.

But actually, the side of the car that's higher is the side with more weight distributed onto it.
This is why when you corner balance, you need to raise the front right corner (as an example--you likely need to do the rr corner too) to compensate for the driver weight.

Just curious, as I came across some confusion when installing mine. When you say you have both pig tails pointing to the rear, to me that means the cut-off end is facing the rear, or perpendicular to the centerline of the car. If that is the case this might be your trouble. As I understand it the cut end of the pigtail could be centered on the LCA mount so that the flat end should line up parallel to centerline of the car, or also directly above the centerline of the LCA.

max5ive0 said:
Just curious, as I came across some confusion when installing mine. When you say you have both pig tails pointing to the rear, to me that means the cut-off end is facing the rear, or perpendicular to the centerline of the car. If that is the case this might be your trouble. As I understand it the cut end of the pigtail could be centered on the LCA mount so that the flat end should line up parallel to centerline of the car, or also directly above the centerline of the LCA.
The way I understood it, the flat cutoff end should face the rear(tail lights) which is the way I put them. I am going to have to check now. Thx.

Grant 302 said:
I thought the pigtail was supposed to be in the same place/orientation as the original spring as it makes a bit of a dent in the bottom perch.
I just watched the LMR video on spring installs, and went out, jacked up the car and found I had put the drivers side in correctly, but the passenger side is about a half turn in the wrong direction. BINGO! when it warms up, I will correct this. The flat part of the pigtail should be parallel to the RCA's.

TMO Supporting Vendors