The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rims or Wheels, what size do you have on your car, ha!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you find the winters work? Im trying to convince myself that if I get a set of 18x11s for track use, I can get some a designated winter tires for my current 18x9.5 and really drive the car in all winter here. We have a steep hill coming into the hood that many FWD and almost all RWD gt stuck on in new fresh snow, so in legit storms I just drive the truck, but my race rubber is pretty dicey in general in the 30s and 40s on clean pavement.
I wouldn't run track tires below 40 degrees. Depending on the treadwear they can get brittle and crack.

How do you find the winters work? Im trying to convince myself that if I get a set of 18x11s for track use, I can get some a designated winter tires for my current 18x9.5 and really drive the car in all winter here. We have a steep hill coming into the hood that many FWD and almost all RWD gt stuck on in new fresh snow, so in legit storms I just drive the truck, but my race rubber is pretty dicey in general in the 30s and 40s on clean pavement.
Designated winter tires absolutely work. I use 235/50/18 Blizzaks, summer is 275/40/18 MPSS, track is 305/30/19 Goodyear SC3. This is in New England year round. Unplowed steep driveways are kind of the limit, everywhere else is fine. For context, my Mustang on Blizzaks goes through snow better than my awd X3 on whatever those stupid run-flats are that BMW uses.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
Back to the whole Motor vs Engine thing ... I was chuckling to myself as I'm thinking about a few distributor names: Motorville, Motorstate ... and there are a whole bunch of Engine Builders/Installers with "Motor" as the beginning or within their company names.

... and after all, this is Motor Sports! or maybe Engine Sports? Crap, this is a can of worms.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Utah
I read a story on the Apple News about the new F1 cars which caught my eye because of this thread. A Mercedes engineer, Mike Elliot, is quoted as saying,

“We have 18-inch rims and tyres to go with that so I think that is going to be quite a big difference and there is also an increase in mass.”

Obviously not as cultured, refined and “in the know” as the fine group here on TMO! 😂

TMO Supporting Vendors