The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Rims or Wheels, what size do you have on your car, ha!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Just wondering if you drink pop or soda at the track, though I know if you are in Georgia or other parts of the South you just have a " Coke." I find myself constantly correcting the printed word when discussing wheels , because I invariably put down rims when suggesting sizes or brands. By the way, Ludachris , thanks for the " Edit " button since I am constantly revising things when I find my sentences corrected by the Spellcheck AIRobotics, but also because it allows me to go back and correct a sentence I listed a rim suggestion instead of a wheel suggestion. Now the funny thing is I completely understand the difference between the two and I get a kick out of Blacksheep1 humorously correcting everyone, but, I am beginning to think it might just be a case of Regional Speak or a colloquialism where constant usage has caused both to be acceptable. Even knowing the difference I started thinking about how many of the folks I talk to in the Midwest call wheels " rims." I remember many years back when calling everyone "guys" I had some friends on the East Coast asking why I was saying " guys " when women were present. Seems like everyone calls a group "guys" now even with the prettier gender present. So I am throwing this out there , and before Blacksheep1 says we are all wrong, Rob be kind , you might remember I am a " Native Floridian ", too. The English language is ever changing and I have a sneaky suspicion this is another case where usage has caused both terms to become correct ,even though one more accurately describes the outside edge of a wheel.

So, what size rims are on our car, or.......what size wheels are on your car!!??

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I run 18x11 with 305’s on the Boss and 19x11’s and 315’s on the GT350R.

Now, engine mods are a different conversation. I have never modified a Motor…..since they usually run the fan, heater, wipers and water pump.

“What is the difference between an engine and a motor?

“People use both interchangeably, but the difference is that motors run on electricity and engines run on combustion. The engine converts various forms of fuels into mechanical force, while the motor transforms electrical energy into mechanical energy.”” Lol.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Which now gets into the discussion of various ways a Gearhead is described around the World------

Motorhead
Machinehead
Petrolhead

Using your analogy those folks calling themselves " Motorheads" better be driving a Tesla or Mustang Mach E, ha,ha!

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
18 x 11's 295/40-18 Falken 660's.
Rims are on trucks that have cast iron spoke wheels, talk about your unsprung weight.
I drink pop, its Duck, Duck, Grey Duck here and it was 15F below zero here last night, -26C for you metric chaps.
I have had eight dogs since leaving home, 6 females and 2 males, the current pair are both females but when its time for a walk in the frozen tundra its, "Are you guys ready to go for a walk", which is generally followed by mayhem.
TMSBOSS hit the other point, its and engine, not a motor and its not missing, its right here under the hood(bonnet).

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
18 x 11's 295/40-18 Falken 660's.
Rims are on trucks that have cast iron spoke wheels, talk about your unsprung weight.
I drink pop, its Duck, Duck, Grey Duck here and it was 15F below zero here last night, -26C for you metric chaps.
I have had eight dogs since leaving home, 6 females and 2 males, the current pair are both females but when its time for a walk in the frozen tundra its, "Are you guys ready to go for a walk", which is generally followed by mayhem.
TMSBOSS hit the other point, its and engine, not a motor and its not missing, its right here under the hood(bonnet).
Cold here this morning too ! I feel your pain.

cold.jpg
running 19 x 11 with 305/ 30

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Somehow my last sentence, meant to be just a tiny bit humorous has caused this thread to have everyone posting their wheel sizes , er, rim sizes, and I was mainly trying to find out how many folks call wheels rims, or rims wheels , or whatever. So give me some Wheel lip, wait wouldn't that be a rim?

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Somehow my last sentence, meant to be just a tiny bit humorous has caused this thread to have everyone posting their wheel sizes , er, rim sizes, and I was mainly trying to find out how many folks call wheels rims, or rims wheels , or whatever. So give me some Wheel lip, wait wouldn't that be a rim?
To late Bill, you opened the flood gates.

BTW it's wheels !!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
While we’re on topic, makes me cringe when gearheads write ‘grill’ vs ‘grille’ where the latter is correct for the automotive front thingy part. Ouch! LOL

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
...but what is the correct spelling for the grill, er, grille when an ornament in someone's mouth, ouch , again!

And for my buddy TMS, why they be calling them " Motor Mounts?"

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
And for my buddy TMS, why they be calling them " Motor Mounts?"
When I was a teenager I learned a bit from a mechanic who I rented a room from. Nice guy. I remember him correcting me a few times when I said "motor" - he would say "motors are electric. We're working on an engine". That always stuck with me. :)

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Olsburg, KS
I usually do rims and tires, but sometimes use wheels. To me it's similar to lunch, dinner and supper. I usually use lunch and supper because dinner can be either meal depending on who you're talking to. It's been around 25 years since I was in school, but I remember something about a motor using external power (don't forget hydraulics use motors, too), whereas an engine produces it's own power. I almost always use engine vs motor for an ICE, but I don't typically correct people if they call it a motor. I've also gotten used to saying zero instead of "oh" for the number zero. Makes for less confusion when you're trying to explain something. "Oh" still flows off the tongue better for some things, so I still slip back into that sometimes. Saying something has a "five zero" just doesn't sound right, so "five oh" it is.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I almost always use engine vs motor for an ICE, but I don't typically correct people if they call it a motor.
Neither do I. I'm a bit of an introvert. If I were to go around correcting people on engine vs. motor or rim vs. wheel I'd probably have even fewer people to chat with. LOL!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
....and why do we motor on down the road, ha. Google car/truck wheel, and some ads will list wheels and rims. I get really confused about where exactly the steering wheel rim is, since it is not nearly as defined as the lip of a wheel. It is no wonder someone from a Foreign Country has trouble understanding the nuances of our language as it changes and morphs, when banging on a road course can get you a shot rim, but it is not a rim shot.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Well, I learned something today --> Godwin's Law.

Apparently, being a grammar nazi is a form of OCD. Specifically Grammatical Pedantry Syndrome, GPS. Engineers would simply say its a matter of using the correct word, but, a grammar nazi is a pedant who compulsively criticizes or corrects people's grammar mistakes, typos, misspellings, and other errors in speech or writing. So, if the jackboot fits.

That said, historically, I say rims and I am from the deep south. But I am coming around to the use of wheels. Primarily because the aforementioned individual.

Also, it's Coke. Then you expound on which type. Dr. Pepper thank you very much.

PS, any jack wagon feel like correcting my non-capitalization of the word nazi? :)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
When I went to High School, the auto shop teacher would correct guys for calling the noisy hot thing under the hood a "Motor". After a few unsuccessful corrections, you would be sent to the other end of Vo-Tec, Home-EC and child care, for the day. I never made the trip down the long hall of shame, once I understood the rules. He did make his point and it stuck all these years.

TMO Supporting Vendors