The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 RinerAutomotive's CAM-T Mustang Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Talking about the PS pump reminded me - if you ever have problems with cavitation in the PS pump, try the Redline PS fluid. Back when I was autocrossing the Neon, they had a tendency to cavitate on sustained hard inputs - end of a long slalom and suddenly you lose a bunch of power assist. The Redline power steering fluid solved that.
It's odd, I hear the sound during acceleration like from the start or from slow sweepers. but it eventually goes away and I don't feel any change in the steering. The end goal for me is electric power steering, so I'm not putting anything into the stock system. This has forced my hand to dive into that quicker.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I've been slacking on keeping this updated, things have been busy.

The Ponies in the Smokies autocross was an awesome time. I managed to finish in first for the Ponies in the Smokies autocross and then competed in the King of the Smokies shootout with those 11 cars. We only got 3 runs and the course was reversed from the course ran during the normal autocross. I was the most experienced autocrosser and my car is setup for it, but never count out a GT500 or Mach 1. This course also was on a slope so there was a lot of downhill, uphill, and off camber corners. After 1 run I had a good lead. My second run was ~1 second faster but I picked up a cone right at the finish and someone went slightly quicker than me so I got knocked down to 2nd.

Last run I knew there was a lot more if I could get one particular corner right. There was a downhill off camber corner that I overcooked on each of my previous runs. Everything was feeling great as I came through the finish...another 1 second faster and clean! I won the King of the Smokies autocross by 0.9 sec. Doing what I had come out to do. I know the rest of the events are not going to go my way (drag race, dyno, car show).

Videos for all of my days at Ponies in the Smokies are available on this Playlist:
Playlist - Ponies in the Smokies 2024

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Awesome video! Makes me want to do this next year! What do you use for a camera to get the speed and coarse layout?
You're in luck I have a video on that 😁

But, I've done it two ways in the past:
1. I used to use Track Addict on a tablet to get GPS and OBD2. Then GoPro to record video on car. On PC use RaceRender to import Track Addict file and Video. Sync data and video and overlay is done
2. Use a GoPro Hero 8, which has built in GPS. On PC use RaceRender to import video file and it finds and extracts GPS data from the video file. Data is synced to video but I have found it to still be slightly off, but easily fixed in the software. Overlay done

This year I bought SoloStorm and run that on a tablet in the car. It can do overlays, but I'm having trouble getting it to control and sync to my GoPro. It's a lot of work but I can copy video file over to the tablet to do the overlay. I sometimes do that for my fastest run.

Overall RaceRender is super easy, fully customizable, and is free for short videos (<3min).

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel