The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 RinerAutomotive's CAM-T Mustang Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Of course my mind has been consumed by this. Unfortunately have to fix my sister's car, then shocks on Ashley's car before I can get my car back into the shop. But doesn't stop me from thinking about and researching options.

1. Put my old engine back in - 5.0 Explorer Intake, GT40P Heads, E cam -> 240 RWHP
  2. Replace head gasket on current engine and hope rings are ok
  3. Swap performance parts from current engine to old engine - I don't think the bottom end of the old engine is in the best shape either
  4. Rebuild current engine, 302/306 -> cost effective
  5. Build 331 stroker -> $2k-3k, kinda expensive
  6. 351W with performance parts from current engine (Holley Systemax, TF 11R 170, Anderson N41)
    1. Junkyard shows F250 with 351, gamble on bottom end still good?
    2. performance parts on 351 not going to net too much more than 302?
    3. heavier than 302 based engine
    4. more torque than 302 based engine
    5. medium expensive due to needed swap parts and buying block
I'm leaning towards option 1 for time being. Tear down engine and figure out what all is damaged. I've built an engine in the past, but don't feel confident enough. Would probably get a shop to build the bottom end.

I do feel even with the current engine I was down on power compared to my competition. I'd rather spend the money on upgrading front suspension than more engine performance, but need good power to be competitive.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
How about a 351W-based 393 stroker? Can you use the GT40 heads on that (may need to open up the bolt holes to 1/2")? Just trying to spend other people's money. ;)

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
How about a 351W-based 393 stroker? Can you use the GT40 heads on that (may need to open up the bolt holes to 1/2")? Just trying to spend other people's money. ;)
I want to spend other people's money. :cool:

I knew the 351W was wider and needed a different lower intake manifold, but I found out there isn't a 351W lower for my Holley Systemax. Which is a bummer. So the more I research the more expensive the 351W gets.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
302 is lighter with a lower center of gravity, and can pretty easily make 300-350hp.

if you’ve got some budget for more power aluminum heads on your 302 will get weight off the nose and bring power and detonation resistance.
Engine that I just blew head gasket on and will probably rebuild already has aluminum TW 11R. I think it blew head gasket because of detonation, but can't confirm that. Trying to decide if budget for 306 rebuild or 331 stroker.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Swapped old engine back in for time being. I have to have the car back up and running for remainder of the autocross season. Got a championship to win.

This gives me time to figure out what to do, find the parts, find the shop. Doubtful it will be back in for any events this year, but at least it's a direct swap and can be done quickly.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Had an autocross this weekend that a lot of cars dropping out due to mechanical problems and my car wasn't immune. I ran during the first heat and was having any issue with oil coming up the dipstick. I thought it might be oil coming up from g forces and a bad sealing dipstick. It was getting on the head and exhaust, not good. I cleaned it up and made sure dipstick was pushed in. During one of the runs the dipstick loosened up and came out of the block. I got it back in and tighten mount before my last run. But it was loose again afterwards.

Ashley ran in second heat, so before she ran I removed the dipstick and found a bolt that fit snuck with some hair tie rubber bands that acted like an o-ring. No more oil leaks

Everything was looking good during her first 4 runs, although she couldn't get a clean run. The course was quick and technical. However on her 5 run a big puff of white smoke came out mid course. She did good to recognize something was wrong and babied it back in. Upon getting back to the pits lots of white smoke at idle and engine was starting to sound a little rough.

Of course can't check oil since I removed the dipstick. Couldn't see any oil in radiator or overflow. But definitely signs of blown head gasket.

Looking back on it, I think the oil coming up the dipstick was possibly signs failed head gasket between oil passage. There has been some blue smoke during acceleration, but I thought (and could still be) it was from bad rings. Since I put the bolt in the dipstick location the pressure had to find another place, coolant passage?? A few weeks ago I had checked compression and PCV, they all checked out good.

So minimum I'll be doing a head gasket job. Not sure how to check the rings. I wanted to do a leak down test, but probably won't get good results with a known failed head gasket. Plus would have to buy the stuff to measure leak down.

I also have the removed engine that this one replaced that I can put back in, but it's a stock bottom end too. Would love to do a stroker, but can find better things to spend $2k+ on.

Bright side, I think I won my class. Ashley unfortunately never got a clean run.
The video to go along with this event. I absolutely loved this course it was so much fun. I wish I had full power and some cleaner runs.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Got the old engine back in the car and made it out to the next autocross. Unfortunately it poured the whole event. But was still a great time. It was my first event in a long time racing in full rain. I've had some damp to drying events, but this one just continued to rain. But it was a good time to practice car control along with really testing out the ABS and RaceTCS that were added this year. Overall it was a fun time and the car did great. I won CAM-T, which only had one other car and finished relatively decent considering in overall standings (15 raw/12 pax).

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I'm a little slow to keep this updated. We have had two more autocrosses since the rain event, totally 3 events since engine swap. The old engine is doing pretty well. It does occasionally smoke, but smells like fuel. So don't think have an oil problem. It's either the fuel itself or a fuel injector issue. It did clear up be the end of the event. So might just let it ride for now.

No progress on what to do with the broke engine. I need to call the engine shop to see when I can get it in. The more research and thinking I do, I'm starting to realize Coyote is the way to go. It just a good engine. Plus it weighs around the same as a SBF. But it's just not in the cards right now. So still debating between basic 306 build or 331 stroker. There is probably at least a $2k difference between those two options, so that's a lot.

Both of my local clubs released their mid season points. I'm second in class with both along with being 3rd in overall PAX with one club and 7th overall with the other. Ashley is 2nd and 3rd in Ladies between the two clubs. But a lot of events left for both of us to move up (or down but we won't think about that).

As far as the SLA build mentioned earlier, I'm still in the research, measuring, and design phase. I'm quickly learning why companies sell complete kits. I don't think I'm going to be able to do it in phases like described before trying to use some stock parts. Right now I'm projecting $4k but that doesn't include possible lower control arm or k-member build. Definitely not as cheap as I was hoping but still saving a little. But mainly it's the learning that is the most valuable to me. Knowing exactly what the suspension is doing and what settings may need to be changed.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Starting playing around with Fusion 360. I used Inventor in college and then have dabbled with Pro-e through work. The modeling portion of Fusion 360 is similar but the assembly portion is different. I've watched some videos and I'm starting to understand the joint system.

I was able to make a very early model of an SLA system. This is more of a proof of concept than a functioning model. More of something for me to visual what it may look like using certain off the shelf components. The geometry is no where close to optimized.
SLA_Rear_Passenger.png

A lot of the suspension points I measured from an extra k-member that I picked up for this purpose
PXL_20220803_224153482.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I talked to the engine shop, they said I can bring the engine as is. Which I've torn down to a short block at this point. Labor is looking to be $1500 with either a 306 build or 331 build. But parts cost increase greatly with the 331 build. I'm leaning towards just doing the 306 build at this time, especially after what I mentioned in the previous post. That way more funds can be put towards the front suspension.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
A lot of people like to create autocross videos. Some are really good, some not so much. I created the video below to go over what camera equipment I use, how I mount them, and what program I use to add telemetry overlays.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Although if you've been following this thread then you already know about the SLA build that I am tackling, but I finally put together a video introducing the project.

There is still a lot left to do. I've been trying to get a hold of Ultimate Performance to start figuring out JRi coil overs. Then still need to nail down upper control arm mount location.

MD
2003+ crown vic(panthers) uses SLA front suspension in an aluminum cradle. They are commonly used for F100 truck suspension swaps, readily available at any local pick-n-pull, and generally pretty inexpensive. The track width is a little wider than the SN but it may help with measurements or possibly pirate parts. A pretty healthy aftermarket has grown out of the increased popularity of the CV/F100 suspension swap and pro touring autocross trucks.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
2003+ crown vic(panthers) uses SLA front suspension in an aluminum cradle. They are commonly used for F100 truck suspension swaps, readily available at any local pick-n-pull, and generally pretty inexpensive. The track width is a little wider than the SN but it may help with measurements or possibly pirate parts. A pretty healthy aftermarket has grown out of the increased popularity of the CV/F100 suspension swap and pro touring autocross trucks.
I knew F100 trucks were using them and S550 rears for swaps, but for some reason I haven't looked at it for mustang application. I don't think I could use the entire front suspension drop out, but I'll take a look at the spindles and such. Thanks.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia

I've looked more at the 03+ Crown Vic front spindle. I'm going to go grab one from the junkyard to get a closer look at and get measurements. Like you said they are readily available in 2003-2011 Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, and Town Car. I like that bolt on front hub with speed sensor inside. It looks to be 2 pin, so should be VR sensor to work with my current ABS/Traction Control. Not sure of tooth count, but can try to figure that out.

The bolt on hub could even be used for a bespoke flat plate spindle design. The lower ball joint mounting looks to be farther away from the hub centerline than a SN95, so could give some drop. The upper ball joint mount looks to go towards center of vehicle quite a bit, which could not work with my current control arm lengths. But could be made to work when I go custom control arms.

Not sure about brake caliper mounting. A quick search came up with people using corvette calipers with GT500 discs. Not sure if my current cobra setup will fit.

Pictures attached that I found on the internet for context.

s-l500 (1).jpg

s-l500.jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Well the Panther spindles I think are a bust. The bottom ball joint is inverted meaning the ball joint faces downward from the lower control arm instead of upward. This means the distance from the hub centerline to ball joint pivot is similar to the SN95 spindles. I do like that bolt on hub as I mentioned and I might try to incorporate that in a later design.

On another note we just completed our last event at our home autocross site. The site is being leased out for storage and no room for autocrossing. The site has been used since the 1950s. But in last few years the surface has gotten really bad. The increase in tire technology probably hasn't helped. We had a great event and look forward to the new sites we will experience next year.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
We finally made it to a Cherry Point event hosted by North Carolina Region SCCA. If you live on the East Coast I highly recommend going to one of these events. Most are ran as two day, two event weekends. So it makes it a good weekend trip.

I really liked the surface, it's smooth asphalt. It provided great grip and a lot of feedback. Since it's an old runway it's long, but wide enough for an up and back with tons of room for various obstacles.

If you're on the East Coast definitely look up NCR. Since it's on a Military Base, signups usually have to close a month in advance, but you can always cancel right up to the event.

Video:

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Well the autocross season is over. Overall I'm really happy with how the car did and how we performed. In class I finished second behind the GT350R and Ashley finished second in Ladies. Overall PAX I finished 4th, which is the best I have ever done.

I'm not the oldest car in the top 10 (2nd is an HCS 70s Porsche), but I am probably the cheapest. But 4 of the top 10 were Mustangs of some kind.
FB_IMG_1669234522187 (1).jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors