The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 RinerAutomotive's CAM-T Mustang Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
This is the Build Thread for RinerAutomotive SN95 Mustang.

Background on the car:
I bought the car in 2011 as a 1994 V6 base car with a seized engine. I had plans to eventually wheel 2 wheel race it in camaro mustang challenge (CMC). I figured the V6 cars would be cheaper and a better base to start from since everything would eventually be upgraded. But the first item to change is getting a running 5.0 installed. The k-members are the same so the 5.0 dropped right in.

Starting in the 2012 season I started autocrossing the car along with my dad as a co-driver. Still had V6 suspension, stock interior, but some 03/04 cobra wheels with some Nitto NT-05s. I was able to finish 3rd in my Novice season.

525892_10100855151925543_800650057_n.jpg
While slowly upgrading the car with new and used parts. Some of the parts that eventually made it's way on are:
  • 97 cobra 8.8 solid axle with an Auburn road race differential and 3.55 gears
  • Explorer GT-40p heads, intake, and E-cam (240 HP combo)
  • MM rear lower control arms
  • MM panhard bar
  • MM torque arm springs
  • Poor man's 3 link setup with driver side upper link removed
  • H&R super race front springs
  • Cobra brakes front and rear
  • Full length subframe connectors
I had moved up to C-prepared class. I did a couple years running on street tires but finally moved up to some used Hoosier A6s. So that's what grip feels like...

In 2016 I took a break from autocross. At this point the dreams of road racing had diminished some. I got into some off road stuff with a 1st gen 4runner.

In 2019 I started autocrossing again, but now with my girlfriend as my co-driver. My dad's health was in decline and he wasn't able to race anymore. But teaching my girlfriend how to autocross and seeing her improve has re-invigorated my racing. I'm quite happy just doing autocross events. Maybe some day will try a track day again.
FB_IMG_1553683362022.jpg
For the 2019 season I added a MM torque arm to the rear along with some fresh Hoosier A7s. Wow...the rear end was planted and the car felt like it was on rails.

I've been building this car for 10 years now and I'm quite happy where it's ended up so far. I still have big plans for the car. But the moral of the story is to get out with what you have, get seat time, and have fun.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I noticed your rear spoiler. Did you do a video when you installed it?
I made it before I was doing the videos. There are a few pictures on my Instagram, but it started as a road sign. Getting that reflective sticker off is a pain. I was going to do an adjustable wing but just decided to weld it at this angle.
I'm pretty sure I follow you on Instagram. I love the look of your car.
Ha and I follow you. Thanks. I like your car too. I've watched some of your Budget Track Car videos too.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
As I said I've been slowing building the car over the last 10 years. I decided during the off-season between 2020 and 2021 I would take the car to the next level and improve the looks. I had to change some stuff to make it legal for CAM class any way.
  • Tube front bumper and lower core support
  • Boxed in radiator
  • New Wheels and tires (Falken RT660)
  • Front splitter
  • Hood louvers and latches
  • Fender flares
  • Interior and quick release steering wheel
  • DIY vinyl wrap
Before doing all that work, I did a walk around of the car at the end of the 2020 season, which was still in C-Prepared trim:

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
In 2014 I made the jump to C-Prepared mainly because it had a better PAX than SM and allowed more modifications. So out came the interior. In went a 4 point roll bar and Corbeau FX Pro seats.
FB_IMG_1630095528442.jpg
It stayed this way all the way until 2021. With the creation of CAM class I could build the car I wanted and still be competitive in autocross. Win-win. But CAM requires a "finished" interior. No problem I still have most of the interior I can put back in. Here's a video on the install. I really like how it came out, but it wasn't as easy as just pushing some clips in. The roll bar was not made for interior and caused some interference issues.
Outcome:
IMG_20210827_122904_473.jpgPXL_20210329_224831476.jpg

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I need to cover up my back seat area with something so nobody whines about it. It was brought up at the Prosolo last year but I didn't do well enough for anybody to protest me. I got mixed up somehow because I had read that the passenger area ended behind the driver seat but that was from another set of rules and I don't remember where I read it, lol.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
That is one thing that has been nice about the folks competing in Solo and Pro-Solo over the past decade to decade and a half, driver protests have dropped dramatically. Some drivers spent more time looking for ways to whine than improve their skills, but commenting on something ( like with PatientZero ) is so much more positive than protesting something that often makes no difference. Forwarned for next time is a proper approach so many times, imho.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I need to cover up my back seat area with something so nobody whines about it. It was brought up at the Prosolo last year but I didn't do well enough for anybody to protest me. I got mixed up somehow because I had read that the passenger area ended behind the driver seat but that was from another set of rules and I don't remember where I read it, lol.
It seems the interior rules are vague. Some people have said they consider paint as "finished interior" because the bare metal is covered. To each their own interpretation until the stewards get involved.

I think ABS or similar looks cleaner than carpet like some people do. I'm sure you will build something cool.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Well at the last autocross (and the one before) I was experiencing something like snap oversteer. I've never experienced anything like it before, especially not with these tires and suspension (torque arm).

Video to that autocross event:

Well after the event I checked over the car. I did not find anything loose or out of place on the rear suspension. However on the front I found that the caster setting had shifted forward from max positive on both sides. These plates were recently removed to paint the engine bay. I think I just forgot to torque them properly after reinstalling :ohdamn:
PXL_20210901_105408711.jpg
I'm hoping this is the cause of the handling issues at the last two events. That is big change in caster which will affect my camber during turning and my bumpsteer. Although, I couldn't find documentation on the caster range provided by the MM CC plates. They advertise the camber range, but not caster. I'll try to get some measurements to try to determine the caster at minimum caster setting.

I'll know pretty soon if this is the issue because the next event is next weekend.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I wanted to see what changes or problems the importer caster seeing was causing. I made a video documenting testing the camber curve and bumpsteer with both caster settings

Spoiler, while the measurements between both settings were obviously different, I didn't think the bumpsteer was dramatically off liked I was hoping.

However, not in the video I later found that the driver side inner tie rod was toast. It had so much play. Also found that the driver side caster/camber backing plate was installed 180 out, which caused interference between it and the strut. This meant that the strut was not physically able to reach the maximum allowed caster and camber of the plates.

I also took the time to properly adjust bumpsteer on both sides. I think the combination of everything resulted in a car that kinda did what it wanted in certain circumstances.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
This past weekend I did an event that was so much fun. I think it might be an event created by that club and its called a Cross Trial. It's similar to a pro solo, but is a double elimination bracket head to head autocross. No timers just first car across the line with the least amount of cones. They evened out the cars by having a staggered start based on class and modifications. Faster your car is/looks farther back you start. The starting lines ranged from 1 to 8. Most of the CAM cars were 4.

I was able to go a couple rounds. But those pesky Miatas are so fast and nimble.

The biggest thing, the modifications and fixes I recently have done to the front suspension has made the car good again. I have confidence again in that the traction is going to be there and I can push faster. Not my best driving, but this really helped build my confidence, which is part of racing.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
The worst kept secret...my car being vinyl wrapped. I finally...got the video of vinyl wrapping the car done (only a few months late). If your interested in vinyl wrapping your car give the video a watch. Vinyl wrapping is very time consuming, but is a great way to change the look of your car. The car came out great and looks even better in person.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I'm pretty bad about updating this thread. 2021 was a great year! We completed 15 autocross events with two different clubs. I finished 1st in CAM-T with both clubs, but it was very close with a 69 Camaro with a supercharged LS. Ashley finished 2nd and 3rd in Ladies between the two clubs. It's only her 3rd year autocrossing. I really think she has a shot to win with at least one of the clubs next year. The ladies battle was also very close.

Looking forward to the 2022 season. I have a few upgrades planned over the off season as time allows. First events start in March.

Here is a recap video for 2021:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
There is a very good possibility this " Cross Trial " event another one influenced by the absolutely famous Autocross Event run in Salina, Kansas since the 1970s!! Called the " Mirrorkhana, other SCCA Regions heard about the event because they had someone who competed in the event , or because it often came up in conversations with Autocross Drivers during the Solo Nationals held in Salina for many years. Essentially two cars start directly across from each other and they each run the entire course with the first one getting back to their starting point winning. Really cool that the concept is still alive and prospering at different parts of the Country as this type of cone dancing is a riot. I bet your posting of this video will have plenty of folks wanting to make it to this event in 2022. For those in the Midwest , look up Salina Region SCCA, because the event that birthed so many other similar ones is still run and it holds a special place in my heart. In 1983 I won the C Stock ( now called Street ) Class in my 1982 RX7 and just a couple of hours after the end of the race my wife went into labor ( she had been out there watching). My son was practically born on an Autocross site and since he is a real talent in his EVO9 , I can confidently say he was born to Autocross, ha, ha!

Thanks for posting this cool event and hopefully you make it out to Lincoln, Ne. sometime in the future for the Solo Nationals.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
There is a very good possibility this " Cross Trial " event another one influenced by the absolutely famous Autocross Event run in Salina, Kansas since the 1970s!! Called the " Mirrorkhana, other SCCA Regions heard about the event because they had someone who competed in the event , or because it often came up in conversations with Autocross Drivers during the Solo Nationals held in Salina for many years. Essentially two cars start directly across from each other and they each run the entire course with the first one getting back to their starting point winning. Really cool that the concept is still alive and prospering at different parts of the Country as this type of cone dancing is a riot. I bet your posting of this video will have plenty of folks wanting to make it to this event in 2022. For those in the Midwest , look up Salina Region SCCA, because the event that birthed so many other similar ones is still run and it holds a special place in my heart. In 1983 I won the C Stock ( now called Street ) Class in my 1982 RX7 and just a couple of hours after the end of the race my wife went into labor ( she had been out there watching). My son was practically born on an Autocross site and since he is a real talent in his EVO9 , I can confidently say he was born to Autocross, ha, ha!

Thanks for posting this cool event and hopefully you make it out to Lincoln, Ne. sometime in the future for the Solo Nationals.
I heard there was a similar event going on for 50 years in the Midwest. That's insane and awesome.

I'm hoping can get my local club to run a similar event, but location dependent. Some people I've talked to about it are so in the autocross mindset. "There's no timers? How do I know where I can improve?" Haha, just gotta drive faster than the other guy. Some people are probably too competitive for the event too, since there's no timers and handicap is subjective/eyeballed. Do you know how the "Mirrorkhana" event handled cars of different classes? Also staged back the starting lines for different classes?

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Have not been for awhile, but it used to be you just ran in your Class , but today there are a lot more classes. It was a double elimination so it made it really fun, plus you got three free cones ( 4 and you had a DNF ). Early years were a riot and I can remember going across the finish in a 427 3 deuces Corvette at over 100mph. Running a friend's car and that was beyond fun. The course is much changed now, speeds are down to SCCA legal and the turnout is still great.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Have not been for awhile, but it used to be you just ran in your Class , but today there are a lot more classes. It was a double elimination so it made it really fun, plus you got three free cones ( 4 and you had a DNF ). Early years were a riot and I can remember going across the finish in a 427 3 deuces Corvette at over 100mph. Running a friend's car and that was beyond fun. The course is much changed now, speeds are down to SCCA legal and the turnout is still great.
Ok, yea this club must have taken inspiration from that event also. Similar rules with the double elimination bracket and cone limit.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Mirrorkhana was started by a guy named Rocky Entriken and it also happens that he is an old Newspaper Scribe, has numerous SCCA writing awards, is one of the 100% Drivers at the Solo Nationals, and has usually been in charge of getting writers to do the stories on various Classes at the Nationals. Mirrorkhana has been written up in Sportscar ( SCCA's magazine ) numerous times, so the idea for the event has spread all over the Country due to it's longevity, press, and association with so many Conekillers! In the 80s a win at Mirrorkhana was as coveted as winning a Divisional and there are those who made the trek to Salina, Kansas to run the event from many of the surrounding States. I remember guys from Oklahoma, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Iowa, Arkansas, and Texas being common and for some that meant a drive of 500 miles or so. For me it is so cool the concept has lived on and Clubs that end up running an event like this usually find folks want it run again and again. Thanks for posting the video and if your Club or Region has never had an autocross event like this, considering finding a site and making it a premier event ---- it is universally loved because you know when you have won, immediately.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I think setting goals is a good process to go through. I want them to be challenging, yet achievable. I think the ones I set for 2022 fall in that category. I think the hardest one I set is to get my TDI 4Runner driving, but that's beyond the scope of this post and forums.

Currently in progress for the Mustang is shedding weight from the dash, rewiring/removing the factory ignition switch, and adding 4CH ABS.

TMO Supporting Vendors