The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ripped Dust Boots

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just put daily pads back on my rear calipers and my caliper compressor ripped the boots on the calipers. How much of a problem is this? I haven’t noticed a difference while daily driving but am concerned about tracking the car like this. If the answer is repair, how much if a pain is it to refurbish the rear caliper?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
A lot of track guys don't run them at all because they rebuild constantly. But that means after every event you're looking at them very closely and will be refreshing calipers more often. Rebuilding is not a massive job but you need the right equipment.

A lot of track guys don't run them at all because they rebuild constantly. But that means after every event you're looking at them very closely and will be refreshing calipers more often. Rebuilding is not a massive job but you need the right equipment.
Meaning only swap front pads and leave the rears alone?

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Meaning only swap front pads and leave the rears alone?

Nope. I'm just referring to the dust boots. You really don't need them in a track only car or a car where you are servicing the brakes very frequently.

But when I did dual purpose my car, I ran Hawk DTC50/30 on the street and track with zero issues, I never swapped pads back and forth. Race pads are no good in cold weather though, they will eat your rotors, but with you in FL that's not going to be an issue.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Awesome. Thanks for the feedback. How noisy were the 50/30s on the street?

No noise at all. I found them very civilized on the road and still very good on track. I put over 1,000 kms on them this past summer when breaking in a clutch and you couldn't tell they were any different than an ordinary road pad.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel