The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Road America Part Deux

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got to the track tonight and dropped the trailer. First mechanical already lol. Unfortunately they pointed out that I was missing a tire :eek: I'm surprised I didn't feel it but I think it happened close to the track, thank God. I swapped the spare on and called Mills Fleet Farm right by our hotel and they have four set aside for me. I looked closer at the other three and there were cracks all throughout the tread area even though there was a ton of tread left. I'm thinking the previous owner must have stored this in some harsh conditions.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

There's also this sweet McLaren 12C here. Unfortunately his driver door won't latch and they told him they are being recalled. Show stopper for the track event unless they can somehow get it latched.

Too bad the guy has issues with his door, those MP4's are supposed to fly on the track.

Good luck with the new tires for the trailer.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sucks about the trailer tire, my buddy out here lost THREE of them in one weekend somehow, and they were less than two months old. Might be a good time to make sure the bearings are greased as well.

Re: MP412-C...just close both the doors and tie them together at the interior door pulls...www.thereifixedit.com

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Gary

I texted Randy white GT3RS FL tag to be on the lookout for the lonely Boss. The boys were there over the weekend and running sub 2:30's with fast time of 2:26. Their is some serious talent, both driving and beer drinking, and you will see what I have to contend with. ;)

Peter

Peter

Georgia
I have been trailering cars for over 10 years and had never lost a tire until earlier this year on my way back from the MCA National in Pensacola. The tire shreaded so bad it took my fender with it... I laugh because I spent more time and effort repairing the original fiberglass fender when I could have just bought a new aluminum one for only $85. LOL

When I got home I checked the other three and found one had a bulge in it... the tire was just starting to show some signs of dry rot (cracking). I have been told that these trailer tires should be replaced every 4 years, regardless of wear.

Fast forward to last month when I took the Boss to CMP in S. Carolina, on the way home, running about 75, I lost another one! Fortunately this time I was carrying two spares, so I drove the rest of the way home without worry (I did slow down to about 68 ;D ).

I have gotten very good at changing these things on the side of the interstate... even my wife was impressed at how efficient I have gotten. HA!

OLOABoss said:
Gary

I texted Randy white GT3RS FL tag to be on the lookout for the lonely Boss. The boys were there over the weekend and running sub 2:30's with fast time of 2:26. Their is some serious talent, both driving and beer drinking, and you will see what I have to contend with. ;)

Peter

Peter
Yea those guys are flying! I met Lewis with the red GT3. He and I are in group 3 and most of your buddies are in 4 with the RSs . Lewis is a great guy. I had a flat going into 14 but fortunately saved it. A GT3 lost a ball joint on the front straight and balled it up bad but he is ok. Boss rolled here Saturday .. Tough track! Off to swap to new rubber now.

drano38

Wayne
Wow, never good to hear about people trading paint.

How are those Frozen Rotors holding up? Obviously only half a day so far, but hopefully they'll handle the abuse.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Yes they are a great group of people even though Lewis does whine a little about only having a lowly 7.2GT3 ROFLMAO Which GT3 had the issue do you know who the driver was??

On trailer tires I probably go flat or blow 2 to 3 a year and have gotten to where I usually just change them when they get to 40% or so left. I also carry 2 spares. I probably have over 50,000 miles on my Featherlight. ;D

Peter

Very important about all pnewmatic tires. Road going tires have a DOT box and numbers. The numbers are the week of the year and year born. If the tire is used or brand new in a plastic bag it still has a limitted life span. At 8 years old it is a may pop (may blow up at any time). At ten years old do not use it at all.

cloud9 said:
Got to the track tonight and dropped the trailer. First mechanical already lol. Unfortunately they pointed out that I was missing a tire :eek: I'm surprised I didn't feel it

The F150 picked up the slack it seems, got to love this truck.

emcrace said:
If the tire is used or brand new in a plastic bag it still has a limitted life span. At 8 years old it is a may pop (may blow up at any time). At ten years old do not use it at all.

8-10 ??? six is max on a car/truck tire but having had one separate on a F250 at five years and ten months with good tread I will never go over five years again. Trailer tires even less, bluemax said four years, 3-4 sounds about correct depending on how the trailer is stored when not in use and thread life left.

OLOABoss said:
Yes they are a great group of people even though Lewis does whine a little about only having a lowly 7.2GT3 ROFLMAO Which GT3 had the issue do you know who the driver was??

On trailer tires I probably go flat or blow 2 to 3 a year and have gotten to where I usually just change them when they get to 40% or so left. I also carry 2 spares. I probably have over 50,000 miles on my Featherlight. ;D

Peter
The wife has some video of the two of us playing when she was sitting in 7/8 over the course of 3 laps. They're taking forever to upload to youtube on the hotel wireless so not sure I'll get them up.

The GT3 was owned by the Immola Motorsports. They're a really good shop up in Minneapolis and do some good stuff. Total bummer, but they said he'll have it fixed in a week lol. It looked like mostly body panel damage but hard to know I'm sure at this point.

I had a flat going into Turn 14. Lewis told me he flashed his lights at me when he saw it going low in Canada Corner after I passed him in that straight after the kink. The car kicked out pretty bad in 14 but I was able to save it and pit in near the start/finish line. It looks like a bolt that went through to the cords in the center of the tread surface. Whatever it was it was gone by the time I got back to the paddock and only had a hole.

The car was running good but a few observations. This morning it was 80* and I was hitting ECT of 251*. I pulled the grille the next session when ambient was 85* and ECT peaked at 233*.

I was throwing a P0155 repeatedly today. I had a P0050 once. I didn't get a CEL until the last session and had to disconnect the battery to clear it. Hopefully it's just an emissions thing and won't cut my power tomorrow. I'm getting tired of all the d*** codes on this car.

Overall was a fun day.

drano38 said:
Wow, never good to hear about people trading paint.

How are those Frozen Rotors holding up? Obviously only half a day so far, but hopefully they'll handle the abuse.
I have the DBAs that were cryoed. A little heat checking so far, but 1/2 a set of pads in a day :eek: This place is just nasty on brakes.

Some pics from a fun day at the track. Short clips still uploading but did get one to go.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1oDdmvafcI&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA_ISmn02Sc&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

IMG_2032.jpg
IMG_2033.jpg
IMG_2034.jpg
IMG_2035.jpg
IMG_2036.jpg
IMG_2037.jpg
IMG_2038.jpg

Nice shots, man!

RA wouldn't be so hard on brakes if every freakin heavy braking zone wasn't pointed downhill :eek:. Still, 3 pulls down from 140+ mph per lap will cook them real good.

Fun first session. Lewis and I got out near the front and had a great cat & mouse session. I let him by after a lap then a couple laps later he pointed me back by. We are just running very very close times. Man can he drive that thing! Got a 2:35 but there's more...still a lot of traffic. Beautiful day here again 8)

TMO Supporting Vendors