The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Road and track test GT v Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That does not change my feelings about my Boss. Everything I do with it is for the fun of things. Next year it will be something else faster and better handleing. we have one thing that the GT or R cant beat......Its all in the name (BOSS). The Boss stands alone as a Ford production car.
To be honest, I expected a bigger differance in times.

Dont get me wrong im not saying i dont love my Boss, all im saying is that for those of us who track regularly im going to be pretty pissed if a stock GT passes me!

I am pretty sure the s550 is more refined and has higher performance potential based on the chassis stiffness, the IRS, lower CG, bigger brakes and slightly better F/R weight distribution.

If I start chasing lap times, the Boss 302 would've been gone long time ago (read Camaro 1LE).
As superhero said, the Boss is a special car that injects special emotions into the driver's soul!

There will always be faster and better handling cars out there, I mean what do you expect?

One technical point I want to mention, to push the Boss to the limit, you have to be on your game ( narrow areas of steering angle, pretty narrow areas of throttle input, quick recovery skills...etc) quoting from Raj Nair ( Ford's head of product)
So the 2015 is easier to drive fast, easier to recover and it makes you feel a better driver than you actually are!

Based on this, I believe the Boss can do better to narrow the gap in lap time in the test above IF the fear factor (confidence stealing characteristics) is ignored ;)

Maybe the owner of the Blue Boss was a big scary guy, who stared down the driver on the track. The driver probably did't want to get killed if he damaged someone's stock Boss with lightly used stock tires. Lol

I do wonder who's car they use, or if the magazines keep a car all stock for this type situation?

My thoughts are still the same though. 1 in 3,500 vs 1 in 60,000 . The Boss will win in uniqueness every time. If I wasn't a Boss owner, I'd still want to drive the Boss even if I owned any other sports car. The Boss is a benchmark. It has a live axle. It drives and handles unlike any other IRS will or ever drive. It's what I grew up driving. To me these comparison's are interesting, but part of me is always sad when "my car" get's beat in a comparison. But I wouldn't trade it.

I'd like to see the difference in times on a track of a suspension modded Boss does vs stock. I wonder if any of the BMO guys have compared their data to some of the magazine's data. It would be a neat thing to see.

Chris

Do you have a link to the article? Other than the numbers I'm having a hard time reading that.

No worries, there always someone smarter, faster, better looking and has more money. ;)

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
You can't compare cars like this…the Boss is on 3 year old used tires while the GT is on brand new sticky tires. I bet if they both had the same set the conclusion would have been different. Boss wins :)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
There is no shame in the new car beating the Boss, I would be more worried if it wasn't quicker. Just think what the GT 350 with more power, less weight, better suspension and tires will do. I and concerned about the 2 seconds needed to equal the Z28 not beating a 10 year old chassis design. Actually I am not really worried since my car makes me happy on track as I pass 2011 and earlier Corvettes, Porsches and the rare Camaro that comes on track. Can't get the GTR's though or most GT3's, coil overs may help that this season.

Where did it say the Boss' tires were 3 years old?
Steve

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
About what I was expecting when the discussions started about the '15s having gained weight.

• The 275/40-19 technically puts more rubber to the pavement than our 285/35-19.

• As everyone knows, the IRS pays dividends over bumps despite the weight gain.

• Front tires are the same, but most ignore the improvement from the new double ball joint setup. This creates a virtual pivot point that is further outboard than possible with a single ball joint. Probably somewhere in or past the rotor. This increases the nearly nonexistent camber gain. At the limit of body roll, this translates to better lateral grip for both front tires without needing to increase the static camber.

If not for the GT350 plans, I'm pretty sure I would have traded my '11 Brembo GT for the new GT Performance Pack. My Boss isn't going anywhere either way.

My BOSS is my dream car and will never have another owner as long as I'm alive. We're at the point that 09 GT owners were at when the Coyote came out. Ford has upped the ante with better technology. Difference is, we have something special that is more than a stripe and badge package. I'm totally fine with not having the fastest factory Mustang. It's a freakin BOSS 302!!!!!!!!

Grant 302

johnrehder said:
Wonder how an Laguna Seca would do against the 2015 GT? ::)

On a course under a minute a lap, I think it would only be worth about a second for the P Zero Corsas...so I think the '15 GT PP would still be ahead.

Over a second on a 50+ second course. I'd have to say the tires on the Boss were heat cycled out. I'm sure the GT can under the right conditions and track run with and even beat the Boss, but a 1.58 sec margin seems a little large. Either way, I'm very happy with the stock performance of the Boss and look forward to the opportunity to run on track with the 2015 Mustang.

Grant 302

HackBoss302 said:
Over a second on a 50+ second course. I'd have to say the tires on the Boss were heat cycled out. I'm sure the GT can under the right conditions and track run with and even beat the Boss, but a 1.58 sec margin seems a little large. Either way, I'm very happy with the stock performance of the Boss and look forward to the opportunity to run on track with the 2015 Mustang.

I doubt Ford would've allowed them to run the test like that. Well, since Ford targeted the Boss performance I don't understand why it seems impossible with the revised front and rear suspension.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
I doubt Ford would've allowed them to run the test like that. Well, since Ford targeted the Boss performance I don't understand why it seems impossible with the revised front and rear suspension.

I agree. Let's not play favorites (too much) here :)

ArizonaBOSS said:
I agree. Let's not play favorites (too much) here :)
I'm not playing favorites. I'm sure 2015 can match or beat the Boss. Just saying the margin is rather large given the spec sheets and questioned the condition of the tires. The article even called into question the tires on the Boss. That being said I welcome the challenge win or lose, it's all about having a good time and enjoying the car you are driving.

TMO Supporting Vendors