The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Road and track test GT v Boss 302

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My Boss is my first and last muscle car, will never part with it. Its a car that puts a smile on your face while doing things on the track that makes the German track stars nervous. Having a 911 turbo rushing up to you on the straights and then falling behind on the corners is magic to the soul.

1 second this 1 second that, its more about the driver and I doubt there are many out there that can actually drive the car to its fullest potential to notice these differences, just go to your local track day and check everyone's lap times. ...Then again this is the internet and talk is cheap and I'm not here to win the desk jockey lap time trophy so carry on!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
BOSSSTANG said:
1 second this 1 second that, its more about the driver and I doubt there are many out there that can actually drive the car to its fullest potential to notice these differences, just go to your local track day and check everyone's lap times. ...Then again this is the internet and talk is cheap and I'm not here to win the desk jockey lap time trophy so carry on!

I won one of those DJLT trophies. Strapped that puppy onto my rear end and knocked ten seconds off my lap tymes... ;)

If this makes you feel any better I came up on a new GT at Sonoma a couple weeks ago with one of the Hillbank Motors Drivers behind the wheel. I have a CJ intake and SCJ throttle body, smoked him at the bottom of the carousel in 3rd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Zyec7tGyCg

Yes with the new chassis and IRS I would expect the 2015/16 to be very good. I read where the Boss was the benchmark the were measuring against. The new GT350 will be even better. But remember the Boss's will always be unique especially when production numbers are countsd. Even the GT350/350R's will have much higher numbers of cars built compared to the Boss.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
Correct. Bingo.

I will get a GT350 but will not be getting rid of my '12 Ingot Silver LS. Its a special car and a future classic IMHO.

Imagine if the IRS car's performances would only be equal to hose of the solid axle car...
What a fiasco it would be.
I am glad (for Ford's engineers) the new platform is more than the old one.
It is just plain logical.
And it seems we are not at the end of it. More to come!

Although there isn't much to compare because technically they were all quite close; I like a 65 fastback just as much as a 67 or a 69.

REAL 1 said:
Correct. Bingo.

I will get a GT350 but will not be getting rid of my '12 Ingot Silver LS. Its a special car and a future classic IMHO.

Good luck with getting the GT350, I tried 6 different dealers looking for one and all pre sold or with a 20k mark up. But on the good side that's how I came across my Boss so I'm happy.

REAL 1

Death smiles at everyone. Army Rangers smile back.
The GT350 is the latest and greatest right now. Just like the Boss was.

I've had dealers contacting asking me to call with $10K ADMs. I've emailed them back that when they decide to sell at MSRP to let me know and I'll call.

Most 350s are tech package which I don't want.

With 3000 to 4000 that are going to be produced per year supply will to increase and therefore prices will drop. It is a niche car so by this time next year I would think you can be in one at MSRP. I'm holding out for an R at MSRP. May have to wait to 2017 but I will not pay the ludicrous markups being asked. Plus, I fully expect small improvements in model years which will lower price of left overs.

Plus, I expect the new Z28 will be coming onto the horizon which will create competition and work to lower price.

Like I said, I'm not in rush and won't be letting go of my '12 Ingot Silver LS. The Boss is only a 2 year production run car and the '12 LS is a one year production model. Only 150 Silver LS's exist.

The '12/'13 Boss will run circles around a '69/'70 Boss but I wouldn't sell my original Boss if I owned one either to buy a new Boss or the latest and greatest. Some cars are keepers and high water marks. The Boss is one.

TMO Supporting Vendors