The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Road Atlanta weekend Feb 18 2012 with HOD and VDCA

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
I had the 5.0 out at Road Atlanta this past weekend. Saturday was fun but Sunday unfortunately was killed by rain. The car handled really well except that the moderately cold weather made my summer tires underperform a little under heavy braking so I had to brake earlier and go a little slower, and the stock suspension has a little too much brake dive for my taste (suspension mods coming soon I see).

There were vintage racers there too, which gave us more to watch. Everyone there was very nice.

My next outing should be at the new Atlanta Motorsports Park next month, which should be just as cool as Road Atlanta.

DSCI0044.jpg

DSCN3399.jpg

DSCI0026.jpg

Here is a video:

http://vimeo.com/37226682

Here is a link to the photo album:
http://s36.photobucket.com/albums/e23/BullittGA/2012%20Road%20Atlanta-%20HOD-Full/?start=all

Great photos Ken, I can't watch the video here so I have to wait until I get home for that.

Did you go out in the rain on Sunday? If so I'll bet that was a hoot!

GA
hotrodnut said:
Great photos Ken, I can't watch the video here so I have to wait until I get home for that.

Thanks Marty. No, you have to run with your windows down so I did not want to ruin my interior. This is also my only car, so to me running on a wet track is asking for trouble. I didn't want to hang around someplace wet and cold all day, so I stayed at my friend's house nearby and watched the weather radar; it never let up that I could tell. That new AMP track is supposed to have excellent water management so when it stops raining it dries quickly.

PJWANNABE said:
hotrodnut said:

Thanks Marty. No, you have to run with your windows down so I did not want to ruin my interior. This is also my only car, so to me running on a wet track is asking for trouble. I didn't want to hang around someplace wet and cold all day, so I stayed at my friend's house nearby and watched the weather radar; it never let up that I could tell. That new AMP track is supposed to have excellent water management so when it stops raining it dries quickly.
You're welcome Ken, I can't wait to see the video.
Oh, I forgot about the window down requirement, I wouldn't do that either.
Have you been to the AMP track before? I got to go find their web site and get the scoop on that place.

GA
hotrodnut said:
PJWANNABE said:
hotrodnut said:

You're welcome Ken, I can't wait to see the video.
Oh, I forgot about the window down requirement, I wouldn't do that either.
Have you been to the AMP track before? I got to go find their web site and get the scoop on that place.

Site is atlantamotorsportspark.com. It is not open yet- the opening has been delayed for the past year.

There are a few groups like CHIN that have scheduled dates this summmer at Atlantamotorsportspark. Lets see how that holds up. I need to start looking at a date to make it to RA, looks like fun.

Ken, those are excellent videos you have!

Question, when you were at Roebling Road it looks like you was able to stay in 1 gear once off the front straight, is that right?

Thanks for posting those Ken, I enjoyed watching them and it sure makes me want to get to the track even more now! ;D

GA
hotrodnut said:
Ken, those are excellent videos you have!

Question, when you were at Roebling Road it looks like you was able to stay in 1 gear once off the front straight, is that right?

Thanks for posting those Ken, I enjoyed watching them and it sure makes me want to get to the track even more now! ;D

Thanks Marty Once you get bit by the track bug, there is no going back. ;). When I had my 5-speed Bullitt I generally stayed in 3rd in turns and went into 4th on long straights. In this car I used 3rd, 4th, and 5th at Road Atlanta. At Roebling I was in 3rd everywhere except the front straight (which used to be a drag strip), which I would go into 4th. If I went faster I would have needed 5th, but I was taking it easy. In June I'll be able to make another comparison at CMP. Next month at AMP it will be virgin territory. :)

Ken,
I guess the ratios in these tranny's are a pretty good combo with the 3.73's and torque from the 5.0/302.
FYI, before Roebling was a drag strip it was used to train the Highway Patrol!
One day I'll get to a track day that you're at and maybe you can show me the way around if I can keep up!

GA
hotrodnut said:
Ken,
I guess the ratios in these tranny's are a pretty good combo with the 3.73's and torque from the 5.0/302.
One day I'll get to a track day that you're at and maybe you can show me the way around if I can keep up!

Marty, I think all 2012 Mustang's gained some benefit from the development of the Boss 302.

It would be great to meet up with you on track sometime. Sebring is on my list, and a few of the tracks up this way are worth the drive for you.

PJWANNABE said:
hotrodnut said:
Ken,

Marty, I think all 2012 Mustang's gained some benefit from the development of the Boss 302.

It would be great to meet up with you on track sometime. Sebring is on my list, and a few of the tracks up this way are worth the drive for you.
RA and AMP are close to the same distance from me, around a 7 hr drive, Roebling and Sebring are over 8 hrs and Barber and NOLA are about 4 1/2 hrs. Most likely NOLA and Barbers will be first for me.

I'm wanting to at least get the Brake cooling ducts, trans cooler and 302S grill before going after break-in.
Hopefully we can meet up at one one of those. :)

BTW, thanks for the info on AMP, that looks like a great place.

TMO Supporting Vendors