The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Road Course Brake Pad Experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wondering what pads you use and their longevity ?

In my last track car I've used many type pads, the ones that worked best for me were Hawk and Raybestos. Both of these seem to last me almost two solid track weekends of hard driving. Still some pad left, but not enough to pass tech the next track weekend. Typical prices for front pads were $200-$225.

Now w my current track car (2015 S550), so far only pads I can find are Carbotech. Cost around $350. :(

Honestly thought the $225 pads were very pricey, hard to justify the $350 pads. :(

Part of my question is if anyone has experience w Carbotech pads and longevity?

I know there would be many variables. Looking at XP20's, but experience w other Carbotech pads appreciated.

SCGT500 said:
Wondering what pads you use and their longevity ?

In my last track car I've used many type pads, the ones that worked best for me were Hawk and Raybestos. Both of these seem to last me almost two solid track weekends of hard driving. Still some pad left, but not enough to pass tech the next track weekend. Typical prices for front pads were $200-$225.

Now w my current track car (2015 S550), so far only pads I can find are Carbotech. Cost around $350. :(

Honestly thought the $225 pads were very pricey, hard to justify the $350 pads. :(

Part of my question is if anyone has experience w Carbotech pads and longevity?

I know there would be many variables. Looking at XP20's, but experience w other Carbotech pads appreciated.

Pretty happy. 7 days on track with xp10s (fronts). Rears are at 8 and counting, estimate they'll go 10. That's about 2x hawk hp+ or pfc z.011

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
I'm getting more life out of Carbotech's XP24 than I did from the XP20. Same price though.

I'm also running the XP8 for the rear brakes and getting a lot of track days out of them.

El_Tortuga said:
Pretty happy. 7 days on track with xp10s (fronts). Rears are at 8 and counting, estimate they'll go 10. That's about 2x hawk hp+ or pfc z.011

That's what I was hoping to hear, lasting a little longer.

Dig-It said:
I'm getting more life out of Carbotech's XP24 than I did from the XP20. Same price though.

I'm also running the XP8 for the rear brakes and getting a lot of track days out of them.

Hey Kevin, didn't know you were on here. I didn't know the differences on the Carbotech pads so called KNS about them and they recommended XP20's.

Any idea time wise (days) you would say you get out of the XP20's and 24's?

Just trying to justify the cost with lasting longer, if that is the case. Lol

Dig-It

Kevin
VA
I've had good experiences with both the 20s and the 24s, but I would estimate that the 20s will get me through a couple of events/weekends whereas the 24s will get me through an additional full weekend/third event. The 24s really seem to hold up and take the heat a bit better.

I started with XP12's up front, then followed by XP24's. Once I gained my confidence in the car and started pushing, the 12's were not holding up more than 2 weekends.

As mentioned above, the 24's handle heat better and last me 1/2 to 3/4 of a season, depending on which tracks I visit more.

Currently I run XP24/XP10 combo.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
My 2 cents worth...Would be the Pagid RS29, its very expensive but it lasts much longer then Hawk race pads. I can get at least 10 events plus daily street driving out of them. Not to mention they really stop.

Agree about Pagid RS29's - expensive but worth it. Easy on rotors and get 20 hours plus on track. A little squeaky when cold but quiet when warmed up. I'm very happy with stopping and high temperature performance on track.

Steve

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I really like the PFC01s and 13s but I don't know if they have pads for the 15+ 6-piston yet. Also they are not cost-competitive but they work every time.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
F.D. Sako said:
I started with XP12's up front, then followed by XP24's. Once I gained my confidence in the car and started pushing, the 12's were not holding up more than 2 weekends.

As mentioned above, the 24's handle heat better and last me 1/2 to 3/4 of a season, depending on which tracks I visit more.

Currently I run XP24/XP10 combo.

Sarkis

How do your rotors hold up when running the XP24/XP10 combination?

I have been running the Pagid 29's. They held up great....Until Road America. 3 days was all I could get at RA. A fun 3 days!!

TMSBOSS said:
Sarkis

How do your rotors hold up when running the XP24/XP10 combination?

I have been running the Pagid 29's. They held up great....Until Road America. 3 days was all I could get at RA. A fun 3 days!!
Gary only gets one day out of his Hawks at RA. :p

ArizonaBOSS said:
I really like the PFC01s and 13s but I don't know if they have pads for the 15+ 6-piston yet. Also they are not cost-competitive but they work every time.

The pads on my 2016 GTPP are stamped on the back with a PFC part number. I don't know if they have a better track performance pad though. Most of my friends running the Stock GTPP package have had really good success with the stock pads though. I'm still prepping Code_Blu for the track, but soon I will have some personal experience to share.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel