The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Road-Course/High HP-worthy Clutch

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey all, looks like the clutch is starting to slip a bit on my 2011 Whipple'd GT. Anyone have recommendations on a clutch that's great for road-course duty and can handle higher horsepower levels?

FYI, I'm running the boss clutch right now. It's been working great so far but looks like it's time for a change soon.

Thanks!

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
the McLeod twin disc seems to be a favorite among FI Mustangs. That's what I would go with if I planned on lots of power.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I recommend what I am running Centerforce DYAD twin disc clutch it can take over 1300ft lbs of torque.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ctf-04234805

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVK4d4p6yww[/youtube]

I have the Exedy twin disc from Rehagen. So far so good. Also, if you're running FI you might be interested in the fact that it's rated to 840 hp. For me that's a non-issue as I'm keeping it NA.

Senderofan

Having more fun than should be allowed..in my Boss
cloud9 said:
I have the Exedy twin disc from Rehagen. So far so good. Also, if you're running FI you might be interested in the fact that it's rated to 840 hp. For me that's a non-issue as I'm keeping it NA.

Gary:

Noticed you must have gotten the tranny swap completed....thus the Exedy clutch. Did you also upgrade the throw out bearing? Or are you still using the OEM one?

Wayne

I installed a McLeod RXT in my Boss that has a 2.9 Whipple. I also swapped out the trans and went with a Tremec Magnum XL. The clutch works well on the street and track.

I think any of the twin disc ceramic clutches should work fine. Pick your favorite brand and go for it. I'm using a McLeod RXT.

Senderofan said:
Gary:

Noticed you must have gotten the tranny swap completed....thus the Exedy clutch. Did you also upgrade the throw out bearing? Or are you still using the OEM one?

Wayne
I ran it 3 days during NASA Time Trials last month and it worked flawlessly. It's not as smooth on the street as the stocker though. Hopefully it will continue to work great on the track, but I'm not as confident the MT-82 will hold up.

2012-Boss said:
Gary,

Did you change transmissions , or did you just get an Exedy for the MT-82?
Still running an MT-82. I really am not looking to have to go through the expense and headaches of a transmission/driveshaft/clutch upgrade to the Tremec.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
Still running an MT-82. I really am not looking to have to go through the expense and headaches of a transmission/driveshaft/clutch upgrade to the Tremec.
You can get 2 MT-82s for the price of the Magnum, and your first one has lasted 3 seasons. I'm searching for parted out wrecks.
Steve

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
cloud9 said:
the jpc kit isnt terribly priced. when mine eats it and I know it will thats the route I am going to go and just get different discs for my centerforce for the spline count change.
http://www.jpcracing.com/magnum-xl-and-drive-shaft-package-2005-2014-gt-gt500-boss/

NFSBOSS said:
I think any of the twin disc ceramic clutches should work fine. Pick your favorite brand and go for it. I'm using a McLeod RXT.
I agree they are all great and much better then the stocker.

StangLoveR said:
Hey all, looks like the clutch is starting to slip a bit on my 2011 Whipple'd GT. Anyone have recommendations on a clutch that's great for road-course duty and can handle higher horsepower levels?

FYI, I'm running the boss clutch right now. It's been working great so far but looks like it's time for a change soon.

Thanks!

you have any issues with heat soak on road courses?

TMO Supporting Vendors