The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Road & Track September issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
cbj5259 said:
Sadly I thing the last truly American mustang is going to be the 2014 mustang. After that its going to be eurostang.

The 2012 was actually the last true manual tranny IMHO, since the 2013 now has an anti-hill roll back feature.

GA
CaliMR said:
But the 12 had skip shift. And a broken arcade stick for a shifter...

The skip shift has been deleted by my FRPP tune, and my shifter feels fine to me so far. The anti-hill roll back thing is cheating. ;) Skip shift was just an easily corrected inconvenience.

Yours is a GT right? Maybe the different clutch and lower rpm makes a difference unless yours had the redline raised with the tune.

GA
CaliMR said:
Yours is a GT right? Maybe the different clutch and lower rpm makes a difference unless yours had the redline raised with the tune.

Yes, it is a Brembo package GT with 3.73 axle. The FRPP tune smoothed out the power curve but the redline is still 7K. Maybe that bit of extra RPM makes a huge difference and Ford should have beefed up a few more things on the Boss.

I almost bought the GT Brembo with the 3.73 but none of the local dealers would order one for me that wasn't loaded with unwanted options (in case I back out they said). The advertising says it has a different clutch, though I don't know if that is true. If I short shift at 6500 rpm or so it drastically reduces the 3rd/4th issues so rpm seems to be part of the problem. But I also figured out a way to wiggle it into gear which is similar to what we used to do on the beat down SF2 arcade machines ;) 1st gear takes a different dance to get it in when it is being grumpy. Though they all have gotten better now that my brake leak is sorted out.

I was talking to someone affiliated with the Bosses and he would not admit to an issue, but did say something interesting about having difficulty getting the pedal all the way to the floor due to the recess in the floor, and implied that could screw up shifting... I'm thinking about getting the clutch pedal pad to see if it helps. I always try to hit the floor but it is possible my 4Es are getting hung up on something. If it is dragging from not being down far enough it could be part of my clutch boil issue and pedal sticking, and he mentioned the button that tells that the clutch is in is pretty deep so it might think the clutch isn't in and that could be affecting it as he had that issue. At least that is what he was seeming to imply pretty hard, he wouldn't say outright that they had found an issue with it. But it is all hearsay at this point until I get around to testing it with a pad on the pedal. It seems to me that it is too simple, if there was a magic bullet then someone would have figured it out.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel