The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Road & Track September issue

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Not sure how many of you guys read R&T but I was reading their 2013 New Cars article and they have an interesting statement in there for Ford. They talk about the gap between the Mustang GT and the GT 500 and has them "speculating" that the Boss will soon make 500 bhp.

Think they might know something we dont? I'll actually be upset if it doesnt turn out to be just a two year run. :'(

Just read a article in car n driver on the 2015 mustang they also had a up to date picture of it .It talked about independent suspension and there being a boss with a 6hp bump for 2015 making the boss 450,tell me that can't be true .
Phil

I read the same thing in the Nov. 2012 issue of Car & Driver last week. But after contacting several Ford execs in the Mustang program, and talking to John Clor & Don Farr at the MCA Regional Director's Summit (Dallas), I've concluded that this is just speculation for magazine sales. While I think the Boss name may resurface again at some point, the 2013 Boss 302 will be the last Boss 302 you can buy for quite a while.

ShelBoss
MCA National Director

ShelBoss said:
I read the same thing in the Nov. 2012 issue of Car & Driver last week. But after contacting several Ford execs in the Mustang program, and talking to John Clor & Don Farr at the MCA Regional Director's Summit (Dallas), I've concluded that this is just speculation for magazine sales. While I think the Boss name may resurface again at some point, the 2013 Boss 302 will be the last Boss 302 you can buy for quite a while.

ShelBoss
MCA National Director

Thanks for the research and sharing.

ShelBoss said:

ShelBoss
MCA National Director
I agree with this. There might be a track pack with most of the Boss goodies, similar to 2013 and adding adjustable dampers, but I think it will be a few years until they bring the Boss back again.

Welcome to BMO. Do you own a Boss?

ShelBoss said:

ShelBoss
MCA National Director

I just read that today. I guessing that has to be a misprint. Maybe I will send an email to them to clarify.

The Boss 302 name is shelved...no worries. I think if you see a Boss name return it will be a Boss 351. If they wanted to sell more Boss 302's they could have easily upped production for 12 and 13 and they specifically did not. I agree though, I think the "boss 302" engine may be an option for 2015 but it will not be badged as a Boss 302 but a GT with a boss 302 engine upgrade.

GA
I think that is probably an accurate statement about the Boss. For 2014 you will probably see a Mach 1, and then 2015 and beyond the Mustang will probably become less identifiable with the Boss name. Also, would Boss owners want to end up like GT500 owners who thought their cars were going to be more rare?

With the direction Ford is going on motors right now, I think it is becoming more obvious that in 2015 model that only the top model, probably a Shelby, Cobra, GT500 may become the only model to have a V8. I know this is sacrilege but it has been in several of the articles that the base will be a 4 cyl twin turbo which kinda tells you a 6 cyl twin turbo will be in the next model (GT), so specialty models or top of the line only place a V8 could fit in line up

2012boss said:
With the direction Ford is going on motors right now, I think it is becoming more obvious that in 2015 model that only the top model, probably a Shelby, Cobra, GT500 may become the only model to have a V8. I know this is sacrilege but it has been in several of the articles that the base will be a 4 cyl twin turbo which kinda tells you a 6 cyl twin turbo will be in the next model (GT), so specialty models or top of the line only place a V8 could fit in line up
You could be right. I'd like to see a TT V8 replace the SC V8.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
2012boss said:

I disagree. Lack of a V8 should still be an option for the GT. Look at the entire Ford model line up of passenger cars, 4 & 6 cyl galore. The Mustang is one of the last of the true American muscle cars. SVT spent a bleep ton of money in R&D in the Coyote/RoadRunner and it would be bad business on their investment to kill off this engine as only an option in the F150. Ford likes to be innovators and break from convention, so to be able to state that they are the only manufacturer to offer a 4,6 & 8 cyl in the same car would be pretty damn impressive, extra cost be damned. I'm sure they would price the GT accordingly, so that the ~67/33% sales split between the current gen 6 & 8cyl could be carved up to a projected 45/35/20% split.

Yeah but don;t forget about all the MPG requirements the Govt is putting into play, although small percentage relative to the mustang, I would guess Ford will be forced to play the Political EPA game. Da*!m politicians!

2012boss said:

I agree. Ford is moving to consolidate vehicle platforms. Jim Farley, their global marketing chief, announced they are moving quickly to 9 platforms (5 global and 4 regional) by the end of 2013. The global platforms are:

• B, used for the Fiesta
  • C, used for the Focus
  • C/D, used for the Fusion
  • light truck, used for the Ranger pickup sold outside the United States;
  • commercial vehicle, used for the Transit van

An example of a regional platform is the F-series pickup.

It seem unlikely that the mustang will continue to be a regional platform since they've announced they want to sell the mustang in Europe. Therefore, it would seem they would pick one of the global platforms for the new mustang. Those platforms today are using 4 and 6 cylinder engines normally aspirated and turbocharged.

After driving one of the few 6 cyl SVT models in a european based Contour SVT, I can tell you that if Ford needs to build a high performance 6 cyl it can really do a great job.

To me it will be the change of character to lose a great V8 in how it puts the power down and more in how it sounds. A smaller V8 Twin Turbo around 4 liter, that puts out 500 hp in a lighter better handling Mustang though would be something I could really understand. Look at the smaller exotic motors they all perform off the wall.

With the CAFE numbers Ford has to meet in the next few years any vehicle that is getting less than 40 mpg is going to change drastically. get ready

Here's a little change of topic. I found this article on 2013 Boss. Turned a non believer into a believer.

http://autos.sympatico.ca/reviews/14821/2013-ford-mustang-boss-302-best-ever

TMO Supporting Vendors